2019 CB500F seat - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Fork: You wondered about a photo of my seat studs. I'm away from the bike for a few days but wanted to respond. Just get two bolts in a hardware store which are the same diameter and thread pitch as the OEM Allen bolts and have a threaded length of at least 30mm, as that's the length of the studs you'll make. Cut off the head of this bolt (and while you're at it, the head of the "engineer" who designed this frustrating mounting system) and then clean the threads of the cut end of the stud you've made. Run this stud with your fingers into the threaded hole in the frame the OEM Allen bolts had fitted in (if you got lucky).

Once satisfied that the studs' cut ends will enter the threaded holes without undue force, remove them, coat the cut ends with blue LocTite and using two nuts jammed together on the other end and using the top nut, tighten each stud down into the threaded hole until it "bottoms". Let the LocTite dry overnight. Then put the seat on and use a flat washer and a Nylock nut on the upper end of each stud.

Note that the Corbin seat has two chromed steel "tabs" which affix to the studs you've made. This is slightly different than the OEM holes in the seat pan but it works securely.

As to frustrations with the seat and shock absorbers being a reason not to buy less expensive bikes, I have had high-end sport and sport-touring bikes (Honda VFR-750 and ST-1100; Moto Guzzi California 1100) which were wonderful bikes but each needed (desperately) a Corbin Seat and were transformed once that modification was made. Others required an aftermarket shock absorber, sprung to rider's weight, to complete the conversion to a long distance bike. The only Japanese bike in my direct experience that had a splendid OEM seat was my 1981 Honda GL-500 Silverwing. Shape is everything and it requires no more expense to shape a good seat than a terrible one. Also, the seat should be parallel to the ground for maximum comfort. Sport bikes' OEM seats always seem to slant down toward the front, which insures discomfort.

Ralph

+1 ,top post10/10 the seat fixing is crap.

Plasma1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 04:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2019 View Post
I don't have a delicate's woman butt, but I feel the pain when I go thru a bump, so what I have done is just stand on the pegs for 1 or 2 seconds while I pass the bump.
I have not tried standing on the pegs at speed, for momentary relief, but when the rear pain has set in I do stand up when going over speed humps. Even with arthritis, the best suspension is the knees!

Instead I have a gel pad that just clips on the seat (with a velcro straps that goes around the seat for added security) that I use, but it only gives limited relief. Better than nothing, but not really a solution.

Previously I have tried a bean filled cushion from www.bumbags4bikers.co.uk , but that just ends up with the beans all at the back. Somehow they defy gravity.

I have also used both together, but after a while even that makes hardly any difference.

But today I took delivery of a Tourtec air cushion, so hopefully that will help. However I never thought to measure it, as the eBay page listed our bikes as being compatible. And I have not placed it on the bike yet. But it is wide. Definitely too wide. But I am not someone who sits off the edge of the seat with a knee down, so if the straps under the seat hold it in place then maybe the edge being cushioned will be for the better.

Although I have already found the best cure for the seat: winter. It is getting too cold and the days too short to be able to go on my weekly 400-mile day trips now!
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 07:38 PM

RalphG, thanks so much for taking the time to provide that response. It's a holiday weekend here this weekend so I feel this may be my most satisfying mod yet! Thanks again, Keith

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 07:51 PM

Keith: You are most welcome!

Ralph

"You don't stop riding because you got old...You got old because you stopped riding,"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page