Clutch adjustment or new clutch? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mousek801
  • 1 Post By PiedmontBuckeye

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Clutch adjustment or new clutch?

I recently bought a 2015 cb500f(11000km) which is running great. However I feel like the clutch engages/disengages pretty late. Since I have smaller hands, this isn't all that comfortable to me and I was wondering if I can fix this by adjusting the cable, or if a clutch replacement is needed.

Also if I would need to swap out the clutch, does a cbr500r use the same plates? I noticed that most shops around here have plates for the R version, but not for the F.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:25 AM

Garage
Not nearly enough miles to call for clutch replacement.

Yes, the cable may need adjusting, be sure to allow for 3/8" to 1/2" slop in the end of the lever.

You might consider buying adjustable levers if you have small hands.
I bought the long levers not the short ones.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Check how much play the clutch lever has, basically how far can you move it without feeling any resistance. Not the clutch engaging or disengaging, just when you feel it start to actually pull on the cable.

Put a tape measure under the little ball at the end of the clutch lever along the same plane as you would pull the lever. Now pull the lever until you feel resistance and check the position of the ball on the end of the lever. As the above post said, 3/8-1/2" is good. I think the 500F manual says 10mm, but as long as you won't start to pull the clutch when the bars are turned all the way, you're good.

If your clutch has a ton of play >1", tighten up the cable. Tightening is somewhat counter intuitive since you're actually screwing it out to make the cable sheath "longer."

YouTube has a fantastic 28 second tutorial video, but I can't link it since I'm too new.
PiedmontBuckeye likes this.

Recovering cruiser-bro. 2018 CB500F.

Last edited by Mousek801; 09-17-2019 at 01:51 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:12 AM

IMO, you basically can adjust your clutch cable to suit your taste with only two things you should avoid.

Having the cable too tight (less movement before feeling resistance) could cause the situation where the clutch is partially dis-engaged at all times, resulting in clutch slippage. Not good.

The other situation is where you have too much play before feeling resistance and this results in the clutch not dis-engaging fully when shifting or sitting at a light with the trans in gear. Usually this is accompanied with a bit of hard shifting between gears as it puts constant pressure on the gears throughout the shifting process resulting in the gears not moving easily into the new position.

Only other thing, is be sure you are using engine oil that is designed for wet clutches. Most automotive oils will cause the clutch to slip.
Plasma1 likes this.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page