6Likes
  • 1 Post By Luna
  • 1 Post By Slevin
  • 2 Post By john2019
  • 2 Post By bambams

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Cool New Owner!

Hi folks! I just picked up this 2018 CB500FA yesterday. I also ride a Spyder RTLE. My previous bikes have been Yamaha TTR125L, Vstar 650, Roadstar, Goldwing, BMW F650GS, BMW K1200GT, and another Goldwing.

I moved to the Spyder since my hubby likes leading me down gravel and dirt roads while Iím pulling a trailer (he has an adv bike). While Iím more than capable of handling a big bike on pavement, you get me off of it with my short little legs and all bets are off

I still love 2 wheels though and wanted to get something for commuting back and forth to work, as well as something small enough that we could roll onto a hitch rack on the back of our motorhome to use as a runabout. The CB seemed perfect and I got a great deal on a leftover 2018

First impressions: I need a windscreen (looking at the V-stream sport touring), and gotta do something with that seat!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD54452F-4DDE-489D-AF77-990EE62F2AC7.jpg (299.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg E14E69FE-624A-486F-8284-2C4D37FDF845.jpg (228.8 KB, 34 views)
bambams likes this.

Laura Moon
2018 CB500FA
2018 Spyder RTLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:42 PM

Welcome.
Great looking bike. It will serve you well.
airhead83 likes this.

2014 CB500F White
16T counter sprocket
IXIL hyperlow slipon
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
Hi folks! I just picked up this 2018 CB500FA yesterday. I also ride a Spyder RTLE. My previous bikes have been Yamaha TTR125L, Vstar 650, Roadstar, Goldwing, BMW F650GS, BMW K1200GT, and another Goldwing.
Wow! you do have lots of experience already! I'm a new rider, just started on December 2018 on a Honda Grom 125cc ABS 2018. I have put only 2,922 miles on it and got me a new CB500F ABS.

Quote:
I moved to the Spyder since my hubby likes leading me down gravel and dirt roads while I’m pulling a trailer (he has an adv bike). While I’m more than capable of handling a big bike on pavement, you get me off of it with my short little legs and all bets are off
I'm a short guy just 5'5" 140 lbs and I was afraid of something bigger than the Grom 125 cc but I test drove the CB300R 2019, the CB500F ABS 2019, the CB650F 2017 and the CB650R ABS 2019 and I got in love with the CB500F ABS. It is only 30.9" high and the clutch is super soft, very easy to changing gears. The other ones were taller and their clutch was very hard.

Quote:
I still love 2 wheels though and wanted to get something for commuting back and forth to work, as well as something small enough that we could roll onto a hitch rack on the back of our motorhome to use as a runabout. The CB seemed perfect and I got a great deal on a leftover 2018
I ride my Grom to go to the nearest store to get a couple of tomatoes and onions and the CB500F for commuting to work. I installed a GIVI top box on both to carrying some groceries and my lunch.

Quote:
First impressions: I need a windscreen (looking at the V-stream sport touring), and gotta do something with that seat!
Congratulations on you new CB500F. I got a CB500F ABS 2019 in July and I'm very happy with this baby. I ride it just for commuting purposes every day to work. I have put 1,377 miles on it.
I loved the CB650R ABS 2019 except for the clutch that I felt it was very hard and the seat is 31.9" too high for me, but perhaps I may buy it too, or maybe even the CB1000R ABS once I graduate of my CB500F ha, ha, ha.
bambams and airhead83 like this.

Last edited by john2019; 08-31-2019 at 12:17 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
My previous bikes have been Yamaha TTR125L, Vstar 650, Roadstar, Goldwing, BMW F650GS, BMW K1200GT, and another Goldwing.

I moved to the Spyder since my hubby likes leading me down gravel and dirt roads while Iím pulling a trailer (he has an adv bike). While Iím more than capable of handling a big bike on pavement, you get me off of it with my short little legs and all bets are off
Did you consider keeping the Goldwing and trading in the hubby?

Welcome to the forums and enjoy the bike!
wendyjboss and airhead83 like this.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:46 PM

Hi Laura,

How is your bike? how is your driving? I hope you are doing good.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:29 PM

Garage
Congrats! This bike is so well done you'll be hard pressed to want to mod anything. I have an '03 fireblade 954 but I love taking the 500 out on smaller trips like errands or work commuting. I definitely log more seat-time on the 500 than my litre bike but that's just a testament as to how awesome the 500 truly is!

Some mods I recommend you strongly consider (some you've already mentioned). The best mods for the CB500 are in fact quality of life mods and not so much engine-power.

Windscreen - even on local roads, a small screen like puig or another brand helps with wind-blast and blocking some over-spray that cars throw at you when the roads are wet.

After-market seat - one of my only grips about the 500. If your commute is short the OEM is acceptable, but for longer commutes (30-50 mile one way) I recommend a better seat or some kind of gel insert. I'm young so a bad seat I can live with, but I'm sure older-folks would not want to put up with that.

Gear indicator - self explanatory. I memorize my gears, but it's nice to have in those rare-cases you forgot what gear you're in. I just installed an indicator on mine and it's my favorite mod by far. I wish all bikes had them.

16T front sprocket I put this one in italics because it depends on your personal preference.

Although I do a lot of highway commuting, I actually don't plan on upgrading from 15t to 16t. Yes the stock gear ratios are close, but it's a blast to ride in town and because of it's over-engineering, I don't feel the need to lower RPMS by 6%-7% with the sprocket mod. I can cruise at 6.2k rpms at 75mph and I'm ok with that. The 500 is not nearly as buzzy as the fz-07 and other mid-class twins.

Another reason I chose to remain stock is because I don't want to install a speedo-healer to accurately display my speed. You could use a speed-reader on your phone but that's still another step to support the 16T.

Here are some numbers (6th gear) in case you're curious about the 16T change and/or are willing to use a speedo-healer / gps.

15T - 6k rpm @ 72mph ... top speed 110mph
16T - 5.3-5.4 rpm @ 70mph / 6k rpm @ 76-77 mph ... top speed 117.5 mph

Alarm (gorilla 9000 / 9100) - People will want to touch your beautiful bike. I've had a few people mess with my bike over-night (lifting the cover etc) and if I had an alarm then it would warn away innocent curious people. If you buy it "used like new" on amazon you could snag it for $70-75 bucks or $90 brand new. It's super easy to install and program. Connect negative and positive clips to your battery and program your remotes. It has shock, tilt and current (hotwire) sensors and it's adjustable.

Every other mod, such as a slip-on is up to you and your commuting needs!

Last edited by MagicJellybean; 09-13-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page