Throttle Control - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Throttle Control

Throttle control on the street. Something i've been struggling to manage and master. I find less than perfectly smooth roads to cause problems for me, rough and bumpy rides! I try to keep a light grip, still learning to improve on this, and having minimal throttle play (2-3mm currently) does help a little, but a small bump in the road and the bike is jerky. I feel perhaps the suspension is not helping with this particular issue nor the "on" and "off" feeling of the throttle response itself, even when trying to be REALLY smooth on application, or maybe (more likely) I just suck at this and need to really focus on what I'm doing.

Although this does make me think, riding a motorcycle shouldnt feel like "work" it should be enjoyable, but recently I can't help but focus on the negatives on my 2015 CB500F. The rides just feel shitty for lack of a better word.

Considering having alot of throttle slack to see if this improves things, at least in my mind it should help with smoother throttle roll ons and with bumpy roads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:30 AM

You don't need a lot of play in the throttle. It won't help and may cause problems. My recommendation to you would be to go up one tooth on the front sprocket (I have a video for that mod in the tech section). You can also shift earlier in the rev range to reduce jerkiness. You needn't do anything more than that to improve your experience.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:54 AM

Jerky/bumpy response to on/off throttle can be caused by a worn cush drive in the rear hub. It is a rubber "cushion" that absorbs the jerkiness transmitted from the sprocket to the rear wheel. I needed to change mine at about 25000 miles..
bambams and Plasma1 like this.

so many roads...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chzeckmate View Post
You don't need a lot of play in the throttle. It won't help and may cause problems. My recommendation to you would be to go up one tooth on the front sprocket (I have a video for that mod in the tech section). You can also shift earlier in the rev range to reduce jerkiness. You needn't do anything more than that to improve your experience.
Bunk! Unless you have 1/2" of throttle play you may have a problem. But throttle play, within reason, will definitely help with your throttle jerkiness.

I agree with his recommendation of a larger front sprocket. However this only adds a little help (proportionally). Upshifting earlier is also good, but probably won't help much either.

Best is to live with it, and just keep practicing at your throttle/clutch/shifting method and you will get better and be much more satisfied.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:48 PM

Garage
It's a common thing for many bikes with riders finding the small throttle openings hard to manage with small wrist movements.
One method to address this is to fit a Throttle Tamer. The cam is non-linear, having a larger diameter when you first get in the throttle; helps to me more precise control in those smaller throttle openings.

https://youtu.be/6r6W62-Ugts

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 06:26 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
I have noticed this jerkiness since first getting the bike in 2016. Like many things I have learned to compensate & deal with it. It only comes into play with tiny throttle openings at low speeds. I have learned to not chop the throttle & keep the gas on in these situations. Hardly ever happens to me now. Stock bike w/ stock gearing.
bambams likes this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 05:15 PM

I don't want anyone getting hurt so let me just circle back on my remark about throttle free play. To be clear, if you have more than the recommended range of free play you're going to be dealing with a safety issue. This isn't my opinion. This is a fact and it's serious business. Don't listen to people offering opinions about opinions. Look at this video. Skip to 1:01 and see how these mechanical parts function and then you can happily ignore the people who might get you hurt if you listen to them.
https://youtu.be/mDMcAGlDJjw

bambams likes this.

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:05 PM

Just some info. There are those on here who get bent way out of shape when someone disagrees with them. If you don't accept their "advice" they go zonkers!
-
It is true that putting TOO MUCH slack in the cable(s) could cause a problem. But we're not talking about that much. Use REASON - just make sure neither cable is so slack that it could "jump" the rails or in some way unhook from the cable spool and you will be fine.

All that is needed in extra slack - just enough to allow your initial hand movement to affect the throttle plate.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiedmontBuckeye View Post
Just some info. There are those on here who get bent way out of shape when someone disagrees with them. If you don't accept their "advice" they go zonkers!

-

It is true that putting TOO MUCH slack in the cable(s) could cause a problem. But we're not talking about that much. Use REASON - just make sure neither cable is so slack that it could "jump" the rails or in some way unhook from the cable spool and you will be fine.

All that is needed in extra slack - just enough to allow your initial hand movement to affect the throttle plate.
...And there are some who will recklessly call a reasonable safety warning, "bunk!"
Dude, people wouldn't have to circle back if you weren't doing stuff like that. We aren't sensitive, we just don't want your ego causing some new rider to have a bad day.
FWIW, thank you for correcting yourself above. I do appreciate that.

bambams likes this.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:31 AM

AND keep your wrists and arms loose. Dont tense up.
You should be able to ride out the bumps with your arms taking the movement and your hand holding on.
Also what kind of roads do you have that they are that bumpy?
bambams and PiedmontBuckeye like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page