Seat on CB500F - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Seat on CB500F

Hi all,

Does anybody feels the bum going numb after a few hours riding the CB500F.
I rode almost 200 miles today. I was forced to take breaks for the sake of my bum. It keeps going numb.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:08 PM

I made two modifications to the horrid OEM seat (typical of nearly all Japanese sport and standard bike seats) and spent $25 USD. The seat is too firm--way too firm--for my 135# frame. I felt as if I were sitting on a wooden plank. Also, the seats on nearly all Japanese bikes are inclined upward toward the rear of the bike--definitely the wrong inclination.

I removed the seat's cover and took a 1" hole hole cutter in an electric drill and drilled 12 holes equidistant in the seat, to a depth of about 1/2". This reduced the surface area actually pushing up on my sensitive butt. Then, I took an 8" x 10" x .5" motorcycle-specific gel pad, sourced on E-bay, and inletted this into the top of the seat. I had to do a bit of trimming of the pad as it was a bit larger than the seat toward the front of the seat. Once that was done, I replaced the cover with 3/8" T-50 staples. The seat is a lot better in terms of its firmness and I now howl in pain at less frequent intervals during my rides.

What is not better is the upward slant of the seat toward the rear of the bike. This causes the rider to be angled down in front and is traditionally uncomfortable. A comfortable seat in my opinion (and I've owned 85 bikes since 1953) should be parallel to the ground or even slant slightly downward toward the rear.

After a lot of looking, it appears that only Corbin makes a custom seat for the CB-500s and Corbins still slant up at the rear and are pitifully hard, tho Corbine will assure you that their "Comfort Foam" is supposed to be that way. Well, perhaps for some. It may be necessary to have a custom seat build using the OEM pan by Renazco etc. Any forum member with another source is encouraged to comment, with photos if possible.

Later this Fall, I will replace the shock absorber with one from Ohlins sprung to my weight. Not cheap,but I believe in "pay for the berst and only cry once". I will source a bit softer fork springs, possibly from Race Tech, and that will add up to a much better ride.

It is predictable in lower cost bikes that their suspensions often are the main economy from the makers. For some they may suffice, but for many riders aftermarket suspension is the most important upgrade.

Ralph
bambams and Plasma1 like this.

"You don't stop riding because you got old...You got old because you stopped riding,"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:03 PM

I had the same issue with the factory seat and would usually stop every 45 minutes or so to stretch and allow my arse to regain feeling. Ultimately I bit the bullet and bought the Corbin seat. Not cheap by any means but in the end it was well worth it. I can now ride for hours at a time without needing a break.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarrithers View Post
I had the same issue with the factory seat and would usually stop every 45 minutes or so to stretch and allow my arse to regain feeling. Ultimately I bit the bullet and bought the Corbin seat. Not cheap by any means but in the end it was well worth it. I can now ride for hours at a time without needing a break.
Can you enter a photo? That would be a big help.

Thanks...Ralph

"You don't stop riding because you got old...You got old because you stopped riding,"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarrithers View Post
Can you enter a photo? That would be a big help.

Thanks...Ralph
See attached. I don’t have a good close-up of it on the bike so hopefully the one attached will give you a decent idea. It’s on the white bike in the photo. Black one belongs to Snade here on the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A50C0C2A-7675-4B88-B349-CBD9CA4095C0_1564920691054.jpeg (663.0 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 4E3A32C7-6A98-4B7C-8D71-964074D8212F_1564920703907.jpg (195.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 5DDCCC6C-70AD-43E4-B1BA-2267EB6AA8E7_1564920723186.jpg (142.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 5547EC76-4B39-4B9C-9457-6831E8CC96E5_1564921717700.jpg (124.3 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by JCarrithers; 08-04-2019 at 08:30 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:39 PM

Thank you for the photos, JC. Another benefit of Corbin Seats is you don't have to send them your OEM seat pan. I did that with a custom seat builder about 7 years ago and they folded and disappeared (Rick Mayer Seats, Red Bluff, CA) and my deposit was gone too. Many got burned in that fiasco. I lost my money and the OEM GUzzi pan. Was really angry, to no avail. I'll buy a Corbin. It will be my 5th Corbin seat. I know what I'll be getting. No bad surprises.

Ralph

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:32 AM

The seats Honda has been supplying for their mid size bikes are more focussed on good looks rather than good ergonomics. I've had good luck making such a seat more comfortable by having 3/4 to 1" of foam removed from top of seat and replacing with similar thickness and appropriately shaped slightly less dense, (but not soft), foam, then reapplying seat cover. Can be done by yourself, but easily done for $100 or so (for a single seat) at an upholsterer. They also have the appropriate thickness and density foams at hand. I did it on a '12 CB1000F and may do same for my '13 CBR500R.
bambams likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:24 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
The stock seat has never bothered me. When I tour I normally do 6-7 hour days with no numb-bum. My wife tells me I am brain dead, so perhaps that explains it. The only thing I do on long days is wear good quality well padded bicycling shorts as a first layer (no underwear). I do stop every couple of hours, but that is to stretch & shake off shoulder tightness & such; not a bottom end issue.
Owlman and airhead83 like this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohonace View Post
The stock seat has never bothered me. When I tour I normally do 6-7 hour days with no numb-bum. My wife tells me I am brain dead, so perhaps that explains it. The only thing I do on long days is wear good quality well padded bicycling shorts as a first layer (no underwear). I do stop every couple of hours, but that is to stretch & shake off shoulder tightness & such; not a bottom end issue.
Maybe your wife is being a bit harsh.. You're not "Brain Dead"! I'm guessing "Bum Dead".
Plasma1 likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:42 PM

Bought the Corbin seat and love it.
Makes a big difference in comfort and lowered the seat height by a few mm.
Plasma1, RalphG and airhead83 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page