• 1 Post By PiedmontBuckeye
  • 1 Post By Jello
  • 1 Post By Konic
  • 1 Post By airhead83
  • 1 Post By Konic

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust Header

The picture attached underneath is the exhaust header on the left side of the engine. I noticed there is a gap between the two silver parts, is this normal and should it be like this? I checked the header on the right side and the gap is not as big. I wanted to try and tighten the bolt wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do, thought I'd ask on the forums here first.

Also, what can I use to remove the rust and corrosion you see on the pipe but more importantly in the gap there on header itself?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhaust Header.jpg (169.5 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:01 AM

You may try to tighten the bolts on this header. But, be I'd start with loosening the bolt, then retightening. The last thing you want to do is strip and break off a bolt that's not causing a problem. There's a gasket between the header and cylinder head that you can't see. There's your seal, not necessarily the small difference is spacing from one header to the next. I have a link below, so you have a visual on the parts you're concerned with. Good Luck.
https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2...odel=cb500faac

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:40 PM

If you follow the advice above, be sure to use NeverSeize on the bolts - be sure to use at least the copper or best, stainless never seize as the basic aluminum is not made for higher heat applications.
airhead83 likes this.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:52 PM

If we're voting, I say stick a wrench on it and if it's loose snug it up. If it's not loose, and there's no evidence of a leak, leave it be.

To freshen a crusty exhaust spray with wd40 and scrub length wise with a scotch Brite pad. Wipe up excess, and repeat every week or so. Keep this up untill you give up and buy a stainless header.
airhead83 likes this.

Last edited by Jello; 07-20-2019 at 07:55 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

I loosened the bolt, and torqued it back up to 18nm. Managed to shift the rust around the seal on the silver component with WD40 and abit of gently scraping. Rust has come off but has also removed some of the shiny silver finish underneath.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, what am I checking to see may be leaking? Air or liquid and how would I do this?
airhead83 likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konic View Post
I loosened the bolt, and torqued it back up to 18nm. Managed to shift the rust around the seal on the silver component with WD40 and abit of gently scraping. Rust has come off but has also removed some of the shiny silver finish underneath.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, what am I checking to see may be leaking? Air or liquid and how would I do this?
Not stupid at all. You'll be checking for the exhaust pressure/air being forced out of the engine's cylinders. Easiest checked by what you hear and feel. You're concerned with the connection at the headers, but the same can be said anywhere along the exhaust system. There is only one place the exhaust pressure is supposed to come out, and that's at the rear of the muffler/slip-on. Any pressure coming out, accompanied with a louder than normal sound, along that exhaust system, is a leak. Mostly at a joint or connection, like at you headers or where the muffler attaches to the pipes, but a rusted out hole in the muffler would do the same.
Konic likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon

Last edited by airhead83; 07-21-2019 at 09:43 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Thank you
airhead83 likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 10:42 PM

Do not check for leaks around header by putting your hand there! If there is a leak there will be a jet of very hot gas and you could get burnt. Hang a piece of tissue paper over the joint so any leak will blow the paper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page