Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Exhaust Header

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Chrisbisc 
#1 ·
The picture attached underneath is the exhaust header on the left side of the engine. I noticed there is a gap between the two silver parts, is this normal and should it be like this? I checked the header on the right side and the gap is not as big. I wanted to try and tighten the bolt wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do, thought I'd ask on the forums here first.

Also, what can I use to remove the rust and corrosion you see on the pipe but more importantly in the gap there on header itself?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You may try to tighten the bolts on this header. But, be I'd start with loosening the bolt, then retightening. The last thing you want to do is strip and break off a bolt that's not causing a problem. There's a gasket between the header and cylinder head that you can't see. There's your seal, not necessarily the small difference is spacing from one header to the next. I have a link below, so you have a visual on the parts you're concerned with. Good Luck.
https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2017-honda-cb500f/muffler?submodel=cb500faac

#3 ·
If you follow the advice above, be sure to use NeverSeize on the bolts - be sure to use at least the copper or best, stainless never seize as the basic aluminum is not made for higher heat applications.

Reactions: airhead83
#4 · (Edited)
If we're voting, I say stick a wrench on it and if it's loose snug it up. If it's not loose, and there's no evidence of a leak, leave it be.

To freshen a crusty exhaust spray with wd40 and scrub length wise with a scotch Brite pad. Wipe up excess, and repeat every week or so. Keep this up untill you give up and buy a stainless header.

#5 ·
I loosened the bolt, and torqued it back up to 18nm. Managed to shift the rust around the seal on the silver component with WD40 and abit of gently scraping. Rust has come off but has also removed some of the shiny silver finish underneath.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, what am I checking to see may be leaking? Air or liquid and how would I do this?

#6 · (Edited)
Not stupid at all. You'll be checking for the exhaust pressure/air being forced out of the engine's cylinders. Easiest checked by what you hear and feel. You're concerned with the connection at the headers, but the same can be said anywhere along the exhaust system. There is only one place the exhaust pressure is supposed to come out, and that's at the rear of the muffler/slip-on. Any pressure coming out, accompanied with a louder than normal sound, along that exhaust system, is a leak. Mostly at a joint or connection, like at you headers or where the muffler attaches to the pipes, but a rusted out hole in the muffler would do the same. :nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.