oil filter cup - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

oil filter cup

Hi All

I have just changed the oil and filter today. All went fine except at the end when I decided to hand tighten the filter (this is the first time I am changing the oil filter on a motorbike and on cars you hand tighten these).
When I started it and let it run for a bit I noticed a tiny leak at the filter. The manual says tighten to 26Nm which I did not do because I do not have the tool.
I have to tighten this before I get to ride it ... bugger
Just to confirm, its a 65mm, 14flutes cup?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:18 PM

Garage
The best way to purchase it is to buy it as a kit from Honda: 1 filter and the end cap wrench.
But, the dealer may have to order it.

Part # 3 in the drawing
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...l-pan-oil-pump

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:11 AM

Garage
I just hand tighten mine and it hasn't given me any problems... I check the oil every day before I ride. Had the bike for 5 years.
PiedmontBuckeye likes this.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Bought it along with a filter from Doble Honda in Coulsdon for 16.56. I will use the filter next time.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTex View Post
The best way to purchase it is to buy it as a kit from Honda: 1 filter and the end cap wrench.
But, the dealer may have to order it.

Part # 3 in the drawing
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...l-pan-oil-pump
The filter wrench you have listed here is a good deal. These wrenches make it MUCH easier to remove the filter, as well as tighten it.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:17 AM

I can't imagine how it would leak except that the surfaces and o-ring weren't clean & lubricated with a touch of oil before installing.
bambams and airhead83 like this.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:30 PM

Garage
Yeah, when I thread the new filter on I generally follow the same procedure as for cars. Lubricate the o-ring with the old oil, and then tighten about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn past when the o-ring comes in contact with the block or whatever. And that makes it easy to get it back off again with just your hands next time.

It's a pain in the ass to get it off with a normal (non-socket) type filter wrench if it's too tight so I'm always careful to not over-tighten it. Sure, you could get away with it more tight if you had an appropriate socket-type wrench, but I haven't had any problems with it hand tight. Living in an apartment it can be a bitch to keep track of tools anyway. The wife always has her own ideas of where my stuff goes (usually in the back of the closet where I have to dig for 3 hours to find something).
airhead83 likes this.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:50 PM

Has anyone tried the oil filter that is used on Honda Automobiles (mine is a Honda Civic, and a Honda HRV) instead of the motorcycle one? I put them side by side, and other than the auto one being about 1/2 inch longer, I see no difference - threads and O-ring dia. seem the same.

I think the auto one is quite a bit less expensive & probably just as good or better.
bambams and airhead83 like this.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:15 PM

Location: I live in Hamilton Hill a suburb of Fremantle, the port for Perth Western Australia.
Regarding the auto vs the bike filter, I just search for the code which is hf204. It seems to be used on lots of different bikes. The price varies considerably. I got 4 from China ($9.30 each) and they have a top that will take a socket.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 PM

Given the long oil change interval, I use synthetic oil and K&N filters. These filters are top quality and have a nice 17mm hex nut on the cap for easy fitment/removal and it's drilled for safety wire to the frame, which I do. About $12 USD for a K&N filter from E-bay.

Ralph

"You don't stop riding because you got old...You got old because you stopped riding,"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page