2017 CB-500F vacuum source? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

2017 CB-500F vacuum source?

Wishing to fit a vacuum-activated Scottoiler to my bike, I looked at the Honda shop manual for a vacuum hose which is necessary for such installation. Found none. Can anyone tell me if there is a vacuum source on this model? I'm not comfortable tapping into an intake manifold to source a vacuum and dislike the spraying of chain goo on my bike's rear chain at regular intervals.

Thanks,

Ralph

"You don't stop riding because you got old...You got old because you stopped riding,"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:15 AM

There should be some existing vacuum lines coming from your intake to the charcoal canister. Tap one with a T fitting for vacuum. You want to use intake vacuum, since it will correlate the vacuum provided with your revs, giving more oil the faster you go.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Jello. That helps a lot. Actually, the vacuum applied to the Scottoiler (I've fitted several to bikes over the last 30 years) only allows the flow of light oil from the fluid reservoir to the chain. The frequency of drops is controlled by rotating the reservoir cap. I generally use one drop per 45-60 seconds. Does wonders for chain life and is very easy to clean from the nearby areas of the frame and rear wheel rim.

Ralph
airhead83 likes this.

"You don't stop riding because you got old...You got old because you stopped riding,"

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:52 AM

add some pics and a link to what you bought when your done.
i have a horrible habit of forgetting to oil my chain for a very long time.. always wanted an auto oil. please share your progress
PiedmontBuckeye and airhead83 like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost.in.cali. View Post
add some pics and a link to what you bought when your done.
i have a horrible habit of forgetting to oil my chain for a very long time.. always wanted an auto oil. please share your progress
It may be a few weeks before I get to it. Meanwhile, search "Scottoiler" on the Net and learn about them.

"Jello" on this forum suggested the vacuum line to the charcoal canister and on digging into Scottoiler's website re which models are applicable, indeed the 2017 and later Honda CB-500 EFI models can source the canister vacuum line. Even have photos and a how to. The carbureted models also are suitable for a Scottoiler.

I've used Scottoilers on about 4 prior bikes and presently have one fitted to my 2016 Suzuki DR-650.. The light oil reservoir holds about 250cc of the maker's oil or ATF. I find I refill the reservoir after about 600-800 miles and I probably use more oil flow than necessary. (Oil is cheap--best quality chains are not!). It has been my experience to get 25K miles on a chain and I have yet to replace a sprocket even at 50K road miles. My take is that the Scottoilers pay for themselves and there's the bonus of much less owner involvement in chain lubrication.

Ralph

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Correction to my post of 3 days ago re fitment of a Scottoiler to a CB-500 Honda:

Scottoiler staff advise that the pre-EFI bikes (2013-2016?) do not have a vacuum source unless fitted with a vacuum canister from the factory. I'd thought there must be a vacuum line to a vacuum-activated fuel tap, but apparently such is not the case. An electronically-activated Scottoiler would work for those bikes but at a cost nearly double that of the standard, vacuum-activated device.

Ralph

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 02:30 PM
Most motorcycles with more than one carburetor usually have a nipple on each inlet tract for connecting a vaccum balance (Carb synchronization) tool, you should be able to pull the rubber boot of the nipple and connect your scott oiler to that. Otherwise it might be a threaded hole with a screw in it (to seal it) that you unscrew and then screw you carb balance tool into, so just buy a spare balance tool nipple, remove the screw, screw the nipple in and connect your scott oiler in place.. Of course if the CBR only has a single carb, then none of this is of any use!!

Gary
airhead83 likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Scottoiler staff advise that the pre-EFI bikes (2013-2016?) do not have a vacuum source unless fitted with a vacuum canister from the factory. I'd thought there must be a vacuum line to a vacuum-activated fuel tap, but apparently such is not the case. An electronically-activated Scottoiler would work for those bikes but at a cost nearly double that of the standard, vacuum-activated device.

Ralph
The new cb500 series 2013 onwards all use EFI. Earlier CB500 bikes (thise had no F R or X suffixes) had carbs.
The EU bikes I've been working on had no vacuum sources for balancing, and they came balanced from the factory. There are provisions to make a threaded vacuum source per cylinder on the throttle body, but that's a bit more involved as the airbox and TBs have to come off to do so.
Jb44, Plasma1 and airhead83 like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
Quote:

Ralph
The new cb500 series 2013 onwards all use EFI. Earlier CB500 bikes (thise had no F R or X suffixes) had carbs.
The EU bikes I've been working on had no vacuum sources for balancing, and they came balanced from the factory. There are provisions to make a threaded vacuum source per cylinder on the throttle body, but that's a bit more involved as the airbox and TBs have to come off to do so.
Interesting. I would think any multiple cylinder bike would need periodic balancing. I just got my cbr500, so I haven't dug into it too far yet. My other bike (08 monster S2r) has a throttle body balance screw, and air bleeds on the TBs, with vacuum, and nipples for hooking up an manometer. You rough balance vacuum with the balancing screw, then fine tune with the air bleeds. Getting it perfect makes the low rpm range smooth.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I would think any multiple cylinder bike would need periodic balancing. I just got my cbr500, so I haven't dug into it too far yet. My other bike (08 monster S2r) has a throttle body balance screw, and air bleeds on the TBs, with vacuum, and nipples for hooking up an manometer. You rough balance vacuum with the balancing screw, then fine tune with the air bleeds. Getting it perfect makes the low rpm range smooth.
As far as I understand, your Monster is a V2 with individual TBs.
The cb is a 2in line, with a single TB with two channels, where the TB butterflies are fixed on the same axle - so they age together of anything. Therefore there are air bleed screws, bit they're set in the factory once for good.
Jb44 and Plasma1 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page