So..I dropped the bike - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

So..I dropped the bike

I managed to drop my bike right at a busy intersection when it stalled while I was leaning slightly and pulling out. I caught with leg, but the weight of the lean was too much for my leg to correct (thank you God for damning me with my short inseam ). It was a slow motion light drop, but it still managed to snap my brake lever off as if it was cheap plastic! All I had left was a little knub to pull on to use my front brake. Is it normal for metal levers to snap so easily? I expected it to bend maybe, but not break off so cleanly. My exhaust shield also got dimpled and scratched a bit. So irritating since the bike has all of 70 miles on it!

Anyway, where is the best place to get the OEM lever and is it easy to switch out, basically the one nut right by the lever adjustment wheel?

2018 CB500F ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:38 PM

Garage
Bad luck. Iíve nearly dropped my bike twice at low speed. At 602Ē I managed to haul it back upright without it hitting the ground. But it was a struggle.

How about a nice set of ebay shorty adjustable levers? One of the best mods Iíve done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aeon-lakes likes this.

Mods:
I took the stickers off when I was bored
Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters
Titanium short adjustable CNC brake / clutch levers
Phone mount with USB charger
MPR4 tyres
Custom registration plate
GPR Furore Nero exhaust
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillscbr View Post
Bad luck. Iíve nearly dropped my bike twice at low speed. At 602Ē I managed to haul it back upright without it hitting the ground. But it was a struggle.

How about a nice set of ebay shorty adjustable levers? One of the best mods Iíve done.

I did look there and saw inexpensive levers, but the description made it sound like they donít just bolt up and require modification. Is this true? What was involved installing your lever? The cheapest OEM lever Iíve found was $64!! So crazy when the clutch lever is only $16.

2018 CB500F ABS

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:04 PM

I bought these came as a set and there was no modification needed very easy and simple install and they look and work great for me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2662.jpg (178.5 KB, 50 views)
carfreak09 likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:50 AM

Garage
Mine are very similar to Riseís levers except mine are titanium coloured. Iíve had them 3 years and they are as good as new. No modification required and feel much better than the stock ones.

carfreak09 likes this.

Mods:
MPR4 tyres
GPR Furore Nero exhaust
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:54 AM

Garage
Many videos on Youtube how to instal, but as youíre taking off the old lever youíll just reverse the process. Itís easy. 5 min job tops. The clutch is a bit harder but still easy.

Mods:
MPR4 tyres
GPR Furore Nero exhaust
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak09 View Post
I managed to drop my bike right at a busy intersection when it stalled while I was leaning slightly and pulling out. I caught with leg, but the weight of the lean was too much for my leg to correct (thank you God for damning me with my short inseam ).

You basically recounted my incident from about a year ago. My brake lever didn't break, but it did bend. I replaced it with a Vortex shorty lever (pictured), along with a new crankcase cover (damaged cover pictured). By some miracle, my fairing was untouched.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180318_224104.jpg (167.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 20180220_195351.jpg (254.1 KB, 56 views)
carfreak09 likes this.

2014 CBR650F in Millennium Red

"You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"

Last edited by Karl Hungus; 04-15-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
You basically recounted my incident from about a year ago. My brake lever didn't break, but it did bend. I replaced it with a Vortex shorty lever (pictured), along with a new crankcase cover (damaged cover pictured). By some miracle, my fairing was untouched.
Thanks for telling me your story. Now I dont feel so stupid. I was extremely lucky that there was no body/engine/front fender damage. I’m sure I looked completely ridiculous using all the strength I had to push up the bike by the seat, then lean over the seat to put the kickstand down so I could allow the bike to settle on that. It’s more difficult for me to throw my left leg over and with the downward slope of the road to the right, I was afraid I’d fall right back down with the bike. I just hope I get more used to the top heaviness and that I didn’t make a mistake getting this type of bike. I’m beginning to wonder if I should have bought the CTX700 DCT. It’s heavier but the lower flat seat gave me much better command of the bike.

I went ahead and ordered some short levers off of Amazon that are blue like the bike. So thanks for all the insight guys!

2018 CB500F ABS

Last edited by carfreak09; 04-15-2019 at 06:17 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak09 View Post
Thanks for telling me your story. Now I dont feel so stupid.
When it comes to dropping bikes, there are two types of riders: those who have, and those who will.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
motohonace and carfreak09 like this.

2014 CBR650F in Millennium Red

"You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"

Last edited by Karl Hungus; 04-16-2019 at 07:29 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Don't worry so much about dropping it everyone does at some point, you will get used to the weight and how it handles. I remember i almost dropped it at an intersection same scenario like you except mine was the cbr250r much lighter yet it felt so heavy at the time XD tho i did not drop it there i did in my garage while trying to put the rear stand on, man did i feel stupid lol
carfreak09 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page