Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Windscreen suggestions

10K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  WiscoTwisties 
#1 ·
Ok guys, I’ve read multiple posts about highway performance of the F and most of it seemed to focus on wind noise. This is currently not a concern of mine. What IS a concern is the wind pressure on my chest and my helmet. I’m new to the motorcycle world and specifically bought this bike because it’s one of the few that fits my size limitations while still being affordable, has a long tank range for touring, and has reasonable performance. I’m not looking to race a bike, nor fly around curves at high speed. I was looking for something that had enough engine size to be highway capable at speeds up to 85 but still be light enough for my wimpy self to comfortably handle. My only 2 wheel experience is my 2017 Yamaha Smax 155cc scooter, which I’ve taken long distance cruising and is surprisingly capable, but it maxes out at 72-77 mph, which wasnt quite enough for highway touring. To show how hardcore I can be, I drove that sucker from North Carolina mountains to Orlando, Florida in a straight 12 hour long ride, only stopping for gas. And this was with the engine “screaming” at 8500-9500 rpms the whole way.

That Smax with a tall Givi windscreen is perfect for high speed touring, but the smaller 13” wheels don’t provide a great ride. I’d like similar wind protection on my F....is this possible and if so, which screens should I look at?? Currently, I’ve hit 70mph and I could not see myself holding that speed for any length of time as the wind pressure on my chest was so great as to be holding on for dear life and my 3/4 helmet was being raised up a tad by the wind pressure, thus also pulling up my prescription glasses, making the experience not something I can live with. I do have a full face helmet I can wear, so that might fix the 2nd issue but I prefer the greater visibility and better glasses fit afforded by the 3/4 helmet. I dont want to ruin the looks of the F but I really need better wind protection to be comfortable for the longer distance cruising I bought this bike for. Is the Puig half screen enough or would I need to add a lip to it? Is it just better to go for a larger, taller screen? What I don’t want is wind buffeting at the helmet level that will bounce my head around, especially when behind semis or other large vehicles that create a lot of wind turbulence. The OEM shorter screen that came on my Smax was awful in that regard, and the taller Givi screen solved it. As a reference, I’m short at 5’4.5” tall and 28” inseam. I’ve already added 1” risers, to help fit my arms better and raise my stance a bit. I need some guidance here so please chime in! I’m beginning to regret buying the bike but I really do love everything else about it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the small Puig, and great for looks, but not so good for real wind screening except for a small noticeable high speed deflection.

I would like get a taller screen to just under my eye level. I will be looking for suggestions too. When I find another one, I will be selling my smoke colored Puig screen.

#3 ·
I really don’t think you’ll find a solution if wind is an issue for you. You’ll just waste money trying, or, get something that works but looks ridiculous.

I’ll give you an example. I have the R and the fairings give some leg protection and the windshield offers quite good wind protection for the lower body. Essentially under my nipples. Mmmmmm....nipples.

However, the windshield deflects wind to right under my helmet. All that deflected air goes exactly where I don’t want it. If I stand on the pegs and put my head in clean air (as you get on an F normally when seated) it is much better.

So, if you get a windshield for the F, you’ll probably just deflect the air to your head.

I suggest get a fleece (not wool, they itch like a bitch) neck warmer and ear plugs. A decent jacket too. Even a cotton / lycra balaclava in winter. Let that deal with the wind.

I actually find the wind quite relaxing getting buffeted around as long as I’m nice and snug.

Your limited height might be your saviour if you got a R. If tucked the wind might just go over your head. But, being tucked while touring sucks buttocks. I’m 602, manly and very handsome. So can’t tuck under the windshield for any length of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Owlman
#5 ·
How long have you owned the Honda?

I remember the day I bought mine (I have the CB300F so the wind effects are felt even MORE intense).....I remember on the ride home (I bought it from a guy 1 hour away) I had to ride it home on the fast Florida Turnpike with a 80 mph speed limit. It was a scary ride, the wind was blowing me around like a leaf in the wind and I feared I may be thrown into another lane and killed.

The pressure of the wind on my chest and full-face helmet felt like I would get blown off the bike (I am a skinny dude). It was a terrifying ride and I only had 1 side mirror (the other was broken)

Fast forward 6 months to present day. I never installed a windshield and I gathered enough experience where I can mitigate the effects of the wind blowing me around just with counter-steering (My body does it automatically). And the same with the pressure on chest and head, my human body has adapted to the pressure and I dont even think about it anymore. And Im not a strong guy really, I cant even bench press 80 lbs at the moment.

So my advice would be to give it some time, at least 1 month and see if you naturally adapt (The way that I did). Any new (to you) bike is going to have ergonomics that you will have to adapt to. And that includes the wind pressure also. I notice if you keep the speeds to 70 mph its not very strong. Its more at 85 mph+ thats when I really feel it. I dont spend very much time at 85 mph + (I usually only enter this range when overtaking a car) and normally cruise along at 70 mph on most highways.

#15 ·
Admittedly, I only have 50 miles on the bike so far. It’s been perfect riding weather but I work every day and hauling it out from it’s locked area is not fun (but I don’t trust it being in my carport). I tend to hop on my scooter as it’s more readily available. Anyway, I don’t see myself getting used to the wind pressure and the lack of wind protection is also why I haven’t been riding it much. Around town at speeds below 55, it’s ok, though the constant shifting is annoying. I was ready to get off the highway after just one exit at 70 so the wind pressure is just not for me. I seriously have no idea how people enjoy it. It’s like trying to be pulled through water on a kneeboard, except you can’t let go.

#6 ·
I recommend the Spitfire windscreen. It can be adjusted to suit your preference. Currently have mine low enough to keep the helmet in clean air (reducing wind noise) while eliminating buffeting on the chest. It's great and inexpensive. Looks good on the bike imho.

#8 ·
Where did you get your Spitfire, and what was its cost? Also, do you have an exact model number?? I don't want to purchase anything that won't fit up nicely to my 2016 CB500F.

Thanks

#9 ·
Model# S-06-C. Spitfire windscreen by Slipstreamer. Many suppliers online if you google it (available clear or tinted). Around $80 now. To avoid any buzz at highway speed, you will need to brace the bottom of the screen on your headlamp housing or handguards. I have mine braced on my handguards

#18 ·
I recently purchased a 2014 CBR500R to get around Los Angeles while my VFR800 is undergoing a rebuild and I have enjoyed the agility and the size of the 500. It’s a great bike for lane splitting and very nimble compared to the nearly 500+ lb. interceptor. That being said it is not a made, in my opinion for much more than city streets stop and go zipping through the gridlock of my town. It’s barely able to get out of its own way on any highway that the average speed is between 65 and 85 mph. It came with a nice yoshimura exhaust but otherwise bone stock. My first highway adventure was a trip south to the Long Beach international bike show and I was rather weary when I arrived due to the wind shear to my upper torso and the feeling that I was gonna blow the motor from trying to keep up with the average gixxers and R1’s even the Shadow 750’s were eating me up. The ride home was worse because I no longer had the wind at my back and it was blowing me all over the place. When I got home I immediately went to Ebay and got the tall puig double bubble and a 16 tooth front sprocket. The puig arrived first and I compared it to the stock screen but it was not much than a half inch gain and the screen was angled back towards the rider with no touring lip to send the wind up. Next I wanted to go with the Givi tourer so I sent away to Naples and by Xmas it arrived (it disappeared in customs for two agonizing weeks). In the meantime my sprocket arrived and what a difference that one tooth made. I’m not sure what speed I’m doing because I need to fix my speedo but it’s nice to get through an intersection without having to shift twice while making a turn from a dead stop. I’m going to get a smaller rear sprocket soon and it will still pop a wheelie no problem. Remember I’m used to a redline of 13000 on the other bike and I freak/ am embarrassed when the limiter starts choking the motor at 6500.
So the givi arrived and I’ll be damned if I didn’t strip down the entire bike to get the thing on only to be disappointed with the wind hitting my breasts and then blowing up my helmet. I have one of those turtle fur neck covers and that seems to be the best thing to repel the cold wind and the noise of the wind inside my new helmet (a very snugly fit bell)
One more thing to add. Even on the heavy VFR on a windy day down PCH the bike can be blown into the next lane because fairings act like sails on a boat and any sport bike I’ve ridden or rode with has similar issues and the trick is to slow down. Or get a nice v-twin shadow or a sportster for the windy days. And even with the sprocket change these bikes weren’t engineered to be ridden at 100 mph + for long periods. They are great for everyday getting around town and some canyon carving but don’t bother with knee dragging or you’re going to have to get new pegs because it’s not a real cbr, just a fairing covered f or x model. I’m not saying I don’t like it but it is what it is. So enjoy it and get a real bike once you have honed your skills. It’s definitely a great newbie machine but I’ve been doing this for 45 years and I like to know that I have something that can beat a Tesla straight from the factory and when I need to I can get out of a jam with a little twist on the throttle
Be safe on these 500s and you are going to enjoy the bike but if you want to feel like you’re the human cannonball try a vtec. It’s like being shot from a slingshot when you hit 6k rpm and another set of valves open and you hold on for dear life all the way to redline

#21 ·
I decided to try the Givi A1152 windscreen. The smoked screen looks great on the bike, particularly with my blue color. It’s not all that tall so I’m skeptical with how well it works. I’ll report back on whether it solves my highway cruising issues. I’m hoping that since I’m short, it may work ok.

Attachments

#22 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post after a long lurk.
When I got my new to me CBR500R the original owner had installed the Honda Team Givi smoked windscreen.
Buffeting was considerable at highway speeds. Like hillscbr I found if I stood on the pegs and up about a couple of inches, the wind was clear, no buffeting.
Over the winter, I remounted the stock windscreen and buffeting is gone. YMMV, but just so you know for my height of 5'7 1/2 that worked well.
Maybe if you're over 6 feet you would be in the good zone with that windscreen.
I can take some wind pressure on the chest, but the constant roar in my helmet at highway speeds has been sorted.

PS: I always wear earplugs anyways

Jimr46
2014 CBR500R back to stock

#24 ·
Hello all,

"Over the winter, I remounted the stock windscreen and buffeting is gone. YMMV, but just so you know for my height of 5'7 1/2 that worked well.
Maybe if you're over 6 feet you would be in the good zone with that windscreen.
I can take some wind pressure on the chest, but the constant roar in my helmet at highway speeds has been sorted."

Jimr46 2014 CBR500R back to stock
Can you post some pics?

#23 · (Edited)
I took my bike back out on the highway and travelled at 70 for a short distance. The windscreen did lessen the pressure on my chest, to a tolerable point. It’s still nowhere near as serene as my scooter but I think I can handle it. I still think long trips would be more exhausting but at least I don’t feel like I’m hanging on for dear life. It also stopped my 3/4 helmet from lifting up so it definitely moved the main wind flow higher so it doesn’t get caught under the face shield.

#29 ·
I love my PowerBronze windscreen. Hitting the highway at 80mph feels a lot more comfortable, wind is definitely off my chest and I can ride 70mph without tucking and have zero wind issues. I think the PowerBronze is darker than the Puig. I heard the Puig fitment for our bikes wasnt the greatest either. Such a daunting task too to change out and find out the screen doesnt line up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.