Windscreen suggestions - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Windscreen suggestions

Ok guys, I’ve read multiple posts about highway performance of the F and most of it seemed to focus on wind noise. This is currently not a concern of mine. What IS a concern is the wind pressure on my chest and my helmet. I’m new to the motorcycle world and specifically bought this bike because it’s one of the few that fits my size limitations while still being affordable, has a long tank range for touring, and has reasonable performance. I’m not looking to race a bike, nor fly around curves at high speed. I was looking for something that had enough engine size to be highway capable at speeds up to 85 but still be light enough for my wimpy self to comfortably handle. My only 2 wheel experience is my 2017 Yamaha Smax 155cc scooter, which I’ve taken long distance cruising and is surprisingly capable, but it maxes out at 72-77 mph, which wasnt quite enough for highway touring. To show how hardcore I can be, I drove that sucker from North Carolina mountains to Orlando, Florida in a straight 12 hour long ride, only stopping for gas. And this was with the engine “screaming” at 8500-9500 rpms the whole way.

That Smax with a tall Givi windscreen is perfect for high speed touring, but the smaller 13” wheels don’t provide a great ride. I’d like similar wind protection on my F....is this possible and if so, which screens should I look at?? Currently, I’ve hit 70mph and I could not see myself holding that speed for any length of time as the wind pressure on my chest was so great as to be holding on for dear life and my 3/4 helmet was being raised up a tad by the wind pressure, thus also pulling up my prescription glasses, making the experience not something I can live with. I do have a full face helmet I can wear, so that might fix the 2nd issue but I prefer the greater visibility and better glasses fit afforded by the 3/4 helmet. I dont want to ruin the looks of the F but I really need better wind protection to be comfortable for the longer distance cruising I bought this bike for. Is the Puig half screen enough or would I need to add a lip to it? Is it just better to go for a larger, taller screen? What I don’t want is wind buffeting at the helmet level that will bounce my head around, especially when behind semis or other large vehicles that create a lot of wind turbulence. The OEM shorter screen that came on my Smax was awful in that regard, and the taller Givi screen solved it. As a reference, I’m short at 5’4.5” tall and 28” inseam. I’ve already added 1” risers, to help fit my arms better and raise my stance a bit. I need some guidance here so please chime in! I’m beginning to regret buying the bike but I really do love everything else about it.

2018 CB500F ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:17 AM

I have the small Puig, and great for looks, but not so good for real wind screening except for a small noticeable high speed deflection.

I would like get a taller screen to just under my eye level. I will be looking for suggestions too. When I find another one, I will be selling my smoke colored Puig screen.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:21 AM

Garage
I really don稚 think you値l find a solution if wind is an issue for you. You値l just waste money trying, or, get something that works but looks ridiculous.

I値l give you an example. I have the R and the fairings give some leg protection and the windshield offers quite good wind protection for the lower body. Essentially under my nipples. Mmmmmm....nipples.

However, the windshield deflects wind to right under my helmet. All that deflected air goes exactly where I don稚 want it. If I stand on the pegs and put my head in clean air (as you get on an F normally when seated) it is much better.

So, if you get a windshield for the F, you値l probably just deflect the air to your head.

I suggest get a fleece (not wool, they itch like a bitch) neck warmer and ear plugs. A decent jacket too. Even a cotton / lycra balaclava in winter. Let that deal with the wind.

I actually find the wind quite relaxing getting buffeted around as long as I知 nice and snug.

Your limited height might be your saviour if you got a R. If tucked the wind might just go over your head. But, being tucked while touring sucks buttocks. I知 602, manly and very handsome. So can稚 tuck under the windshield for any length of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Owlman likes this.

Mods:
I took the stickers off when I was bored
Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters
Titanium short adjustable CNC brake / clutch levers
Phone mount with USB charger
MPR4 tyres
Custom registration plate
GPR Furore Nero exhaust

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:12 AM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
I use & have been very happy with the small Puig windscreen. It takes wind pressure off the chest while leaving the helmet in clear air. There is no buffeting. Use earplugs for wind noise.
PiedmontBuckeye likes this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:26 AM

How long have you owned the Honda?

I remember the day I bought mine (I have the CB300F so the wind effects are felt even MORE intense).....I remember on the ride home (I bought it from a guy 1 hour away) I had to ride it home on the fast Florida Turnpike with a 80 mph speed limit. It was a scary ride, the wind was blowing me around like a leaf in the wind and I feared I may be thrown into another lane and killed.

The pressure of the wind on my chest and full-face helmet felt like I would get blown off the bike (I am a skinny dude). It was a terrifying ride and I only had 1 side mirror (the other was broken)

Fast forward 6 months to present day. I never installed a windshield and I gathered enough experience where I can mitigate the effects of the wind blowing me around just with counter-steering (My body does it automatically). And the same with the pressure on chest and head, my human body has adapted to the pressure and I dont even think about it anymore. And Im not a strong guy really, I cant even bench press 80 lbs at the moment.

So my advice would be to give it some time, at least 1 month and see if you naturally adapt (The way that I did). Any new (to you) bike is going to have ergonomics that you will have to adapt to. And that includes the wind pressure also. I notice if you keep the speeds to 70 mph its not very strong. Its more at 85 mph+ thats when I really feel it. I dont spend very much time at 85 mph + (I usually only enter this range when overtaking a car) and normally cruise along at 70 mph on most highways.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:30 PM

I recommend the Spitfire windscreen. It can be adjusted to suit your preference. Currently have mine low enough to keep the helmet in clean air (reducing wind noise) while eliminating buffeting on the chest. It's great and inexpensive. Looks good on the bike imho.

so many roads...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:40 PM

The clear Spitfire screen on my 14F. I have since lowered it a bit more to reduce wind noise. Helmet in clean air reduced wind noise but results in increased wind pressure (learning to use gravity to kind of lean my head forward into the wind to reduce strain on the neck)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0921181704g_1553186121504.jpg (158.5 KB, 69 views)

so many roads...
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjaec View Post
The clear Spitfire screen on my 14F. I have since lowered it a bit more to reduce wind noise. Helmet in clean air reduced wind noise but results in increased wind pressure (learning to use gravity to kind of lean my head forward into the wind to reduce strain on the neck)
Where did you get your Spitfire, and what was its cost? Also, do you have an exact model number?? I don't want to purchase anything that won't fit up nicely to my 2016 CB500F.

Thanks

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:33 AM

Model# S-06-C. Spitfire windscreen by Slipstreamer. Many suppliers online if you google it (available clear or tinted). Around $80 now. To avoid any buzz at highway speed, you will need to brace the bottom of the screen on your headlamp housing or handguards. I have mine braced on my handguards

so many roads...
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:39 AM

Will post a front view picture in about an hour (heading to the hills &#x1f61c

so many roads...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page