Windscreen suggestions - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:39 PM

Front view

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0323191337_1553362706197.jpg (148.6 KB, 67 views)

so many roads...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjaec View Post
Model# S-06-C. Spitfire windscreen by Slipstreamer. Many suppliers online if you google it (available clear or tinted). Around $80 now. To avoid any buzz at highway speed, you will need to brace the bottom of the screen on your headlamp housing or handguards. I have mine braced on my handguards
Thanks!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:16 PM

Welcome. Here's a side view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0323191720a_1553458550327.jpg (161.6 KB, 58 views)
Owlman likes this.

so many roads...

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjaec View Post
Welcome. Here's a side view
Interesting. Thanks for the idea. Does it mount to the handlebar clamp?? I have 1Ē risers on there and rather not remove those bolts again if possible as itís hard to keep everything straight when working on it by yourself.

2018 CB500F ABS
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mouse View Post
How long have you owned the Honda?

I remember the day I bought mine (I have the CB300F so the wind effects are felt even MORE intense).....I remember on the ride home (I bought it from a guy 1 hour away) I had to ride it home on the fast Florida Turnpike with a 80 mph speed limit. It was a scary ride, the wind was blowing me around like a leaf in the wind and I feared I may be thrown into another lane and killed.

The pressure of the wind on my chest and full-face helmet felt like I would get blown off the bike (I am a skinny dude). It was a terrifying ride and I only had 1 side mirror (the other was broken)

Fast forward 6 months to present day. I never installed a windshield and I gathered enough experience where I can mitigate the effects of the wind blowing me around just with counter-steering (My body does it automatically). And the same with the pressure on chest and head, my human body has adapted to the pressure and I dont even think about it anymore. And Im not a strong guy really, I cant even bench press 80 lbs at the moment.

So my advice would be to give it some time, at least 1 month and see if you naturally adapt (The way that I did). Any new (to you) bike is going to have ergonomics that you will have to adapt to. And that includes the wind pressure also. I notice if you keep the speeds to 70 mph its not very strong. Its more at 85 mph+ thats when I really feel it. I dont spend very much time at 85 mph + (I usually only enter this range when overtaking a car) and normally cruise along at 70 mph on most highways.
Admittedly, I only have 50 miles on the bike so far. Itís been perfect riding weather but I work every day and hauling it out from itís locked area is not fun (but I donít trust it being in my carport). I tend to hop on my scooter as itís more readily available. Anyway, I donít see myself getting used to the wind pressure and the lack of wind protection is also why I havenít been riding it much. Around town at speeds below 55, itís ok, though the constant shifting is annoying. I was ready to get off the highway after just one exit at 70 so the wind pressure is just not for me. I seriously have no idea how people enjoy it. Itís like trying to be pulled through water on a kneeboard, except you canít let go.

2018 CB500F ABS
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 PM

Comes with universal handlebar mounting kit. Pic attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0707181517_HDR_1553483350096.jpg (128.0 KB, 45 views)
Owlman and carfreak09 like this.

so many roads...
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:13 PM

Re previous pic, the clamps nearest the center are for the handguards. Lots of space on handlebar to mount/adjust Spitfire. Glad to share

so many roads...
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:41 AM

I recently purchased a 2014 CBR500R to get around Los Angeles while my VFR800 is undergoing a rebuild and I have enjoyed the agility and the size of the 500. It’s a great bike for lane splitting and very nimble compared to the nearly 500+ lb. interceptor. That being said it is not a made, in my opinion for much more than city streets stop and go zipping through the gridlock of my town. It’s barely able to get out of its own way on any highway that the average speed is between 65 and 85 mph. It came with a nice yoshimura exhaust but otherwise bone stock. My first highway adventure was a trip south to the Long Beach international bike show and I was rather weary when I arrived due to the wind shear to my upper torso and the feeling that I was gonna blow the motor from trying to keep up with the average gixxers and R1’s even the Shadow 750’s were eating me up. The ride home was worse because I no longer had the wind at my back and it was blowing me all over the place. When I got home I immediately went to Ebay and got the tall puig double bubble and a 16 tooth front sprocket. The puig arrived first and I compared it to the stock screen but it was not much than a half inch gain and the screen was angled back towards the rider with no touring lip to send the wind up. Next I wanted to go with the Givi tourer so I sent away to Naples and by Xmas it arrived (it disappeared in customs for two agonizing weeks). In the meantime my sprocket arrived and what a difference that one tooth made. I’m not sure what speed I’m doing because I need to fix my speedo but it’s nice to get through an intersection without having to shift twice while making a turn from a dead stop. I’m going to get a smaller rear sprocket soon and it will still pop a wheelie no problem. Remember I’m used to a redline of 13000 on the other bike and I freak/ am embarrassed when the limiter starts choking the motor at 6500.
So the givi arrived and I’ll be damned if I didn’t strip down the entire bike to get the thing on only to be disappointed with the wind hitting my breasts and then blowing up my helmet. I have one of those turtle fur neck covers and that seems to be the best thing to repel the cold wind and the noise of the wind inside my new helmet (a very snugly fit bell)
One more thing to add. Even on the heavy VFR on a windy day down PCH the bike can be blown into the next lane because fairings act like sails on a boat and any sport bike I’ve ridden or rode with has similar issues and the trick is to slow down. Or get a nice v-twin shadow or a sportster for the windy days. And even with the sprocket change these bikes weren’t engineered to be ridden at 100 mph + for long periods. They are great for everyday getting around town and some canyon carving but don’t bother with knee dragging or you’re going to have to get new pegs because it’s not a real cbr, just a fairing covered f or x model. I’m not saying I don’t like it but it is what it is. So enjoy it and get a real bike once you have honed your skills. It’s definitely a great newbie machine but I’ve been doing this for 45 years and I like to know that I have something that can beat a Tesla straight from the factory and when I need to I can get out of a jam with a little twist on the throttle
Be safe on these 500s and you are going to enjoy the bike but if you want to feel like you’re the human cannonball try a vtec. It’s like being shot from a slingshot when you hit 6k rpm and another set of valves open and you hold on for dear life all the way to redline
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillscbr View Post
Mmmmmm....nipples.

Iím 602, manly and very handsome. So canít tuck under the windshield for any length of time.
Yeah us Aussie men have it all
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:48 PM

KD

I really like that. I think I am going to sell my Puig and go to that.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page