Framesliders/crash bar recommendations? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Framesliders/crash bar recommendations?

TL:dr, crash bar or framesliders, which brand you'd recommend?

Hi all! My first post here. I just got my CB500F yesterday! It's a really preppy bike moving up from the 300. I've rode a 600 before dropping the coin and date I say for city and normal Highway traffic a 500 is more than enough and a real blast!

But I also want to protect my investment by installing some crash bars or engine sliders. The problem is I'm not sure which one to choose.
I know SW-MOTECH makes one and so does Puig. I know Vortex and Puig got framesliders for it. Will a frame slider be enough or do I need to move to a full on crash bar?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:30 AM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Personally I am not too keen on frame sliders. Sometimes they work & other times they can make things worse. Better to buy good protective clothing to save your own skin if things go south.
Plasma1 likes this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Location: beautiful Fogo Island, a one hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland
Garage
I have R&G "aero" frame sliders installed on my 2014 CB500FA. They will definitely prevent damage if your bike falls over while stationary, and should surely minimize damage if it goes down while riding. They are quite stealth; most people would not even notice they are there. I bought them a few years ago, mainly because I live in one of the windiest places on the planet, and feared that said wind would topple my bike while it's parked. I did an experiment one day by laying my bike down on its side on our patio, and sure enough, the R&G sliders do prevent any part of it from touching the ground. Hopefully I will never have to see just how well they will protect my bike in a highway-speed slide.

Here's a couple pics of my ride with the R&G "aero" frame sliders installed. Can you spot them? (you can click on these images to make them larger)

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

2014 HONDA CB500FA
CB300F mirrors
R&G "aero" frame sliders
The2Wheels adjustable levers
SupaBrake-II brake light modulator
SJCAM SJ4000 camera
Cortech Super 2.0 tail bag
Taylor33 rim tape
Grip Puppies
CNC kickstand foot
thermometer
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:39 PM

Fairings and bar ends are cheap for these bikes. (at least cheaper than Kawasaki) You might be better suited to just risk it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:35 PM

I have Puig Hi-Tech Parts sliders on my 2014 CB500F. Look great. Fortunately, have not yet seen them in action. I think they are, specifically, Puig Hi-Tech Parts R12 frame sliders (can use that to find at CycleGear etc). They'll protect the frame, gas tank, etc, but are unlikely to prevent handlebar/clutch lever/brake lever damage.

Also saw these available on Amazon, but know nothing about them: 14-18 HONDA CB500F: Vortex V3 2.0 Frame Slider Kit (No Modification)

- Becca

PS Love my bike!

Last edited by Becca Tucker; 03-12-2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: add link
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:40 PM

Garage
I also have the R&G sliders on my 2015 500F. I haven't tested them at all but they do give me peace of mind. Pretty easy to install, just need a torque wrench to get them to spec. Also if you have a rear stand it will help a lot as when it's on the side stand it's hard to get the original bolts out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rgsliders.jpg (320.5 KB, 19 views)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:44 PM

Puig Pro

I went through the same process when I got my '17 CB500F and ended up deciding on the Puig Pro frame sliders. I liked the reduced weight/flip risk as compared to a full engine guard, as well as the design that I think will fare better in an off than the normal cylinder-style frame sliders. Haven't had to "use" them yet and hope not to, but I feel good having them.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice Rider View Post
TL:dr, crash bar or framesliders, which brand you'd recommend?

Hi all! My first post here. I just got my CB500F yesterday! It's a really preppy bike moving up from the 300. I've rode a 600 before dropping the coin and date I say for city and normal Highway traffic a 500 is more than enough and a real blast!

But I also want to protect my investment by installing some crash bars or engine sliders. The problem is I'm not sure which one to choose.
I know SW-MOTECH makes one and so does Puig. I know Vortex and Puig got framesliders for it. Will a frame slider be enough or do I need to move to a full on crash bar?
Hey welcome to the forum. I use T-Rex sliders on mine. I like them because they're mounted across two bolts rather than one, minimizing the risk of bending when they get called off the bench. I like their shape and aesthetics though if you're looking for something more discreet, these might not be for you.

https://www.t-rex-racing.com

Hope this helps!

2015 CB500F
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply everybody!
Seeing how most people only use framesliders instead of a full engine guard, and how some have tested the sliders by laying down their bikes, I think I will just go for the slider instead and return the engine guard.
Appreciate the help
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Hey welcome to the forum. I use T-Rex sliders on mine. I like them because they're mounted across two bolts rather than one, minimizing the risk of bending when they get called off the bench. I like their shape and aesthetics though if you're looking for something more discreet, these might not be for you.

https://www.t-rex-racing.com

Hope this helps!

I also have these. I got the set labeled for the 2019 CB500F but unfortunately the back spools do not work. So I am stuck with a set that fits the 2019 CB500X since I got the set.

T-Rex was pretty great about exchanging and trying to figure out. I hope they do change the date range for the spool sliders, though, as the ones they 'think' work (for the 2019 CB500X) do not work for the 2019 CB500F. Would be a bummer if others ordered and found the issue.

Can't post pics yet, but the slider itself works great and blends in with the frame IMO, it obviously sticks a bit out, but nothing too crazy.

The reason the rear slider/spool set doesn't work is that the sprocket used for the CB500X has the mounting bolts a bit closer to the center/axle, while the CB500F has the bolts just a bit out, so when the wheel spins, it hits the mounting bolt that you set through the chain guard bolt.

But, not too worried, for some reason the set was super cheap on Amazon, it was $129.99 USD and the price for the sliders alone is $144 on their site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page