Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Aftermarket exhaust

8K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  john2019 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I’ve been thinking about getting a new exhaust for this bike. The honda stock exhaust is way to quiet and I want something a little louder just for simple safety reasons and maybe to add a little performance definitely not something cheap. Any recommendations?

#3 ·
I disagree. While LOUD pipes are annoying, louder pipes than stock are an added safety benefit. Hearing is one of the senses and as a cager I’ve often heard bikes before seeing them. Also, I have a slip on (GPR Furore) with baffle in. It’s louder than stock and I’ve noticed other road users can hear me better.

Ever nearly been run over by an electric car or bike?

Re performance. I agree. Want more power, get a more powerful bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Oh Hills, Yes your bike looks cool & I am sure sounds cool too, but really no bloody need to swap out the can. My stock bike is quiet enough that I can catch the boyfriend sneaking out my wife’s back door. There is no silencer on my All American Second Amendment pistol. We are a crazy bunch!

#6 ·
Are you ok?

#9 ·
No problem.

#13 · (Edited)
I had the Leo Vince on my 2014 500F and I just put one on my 2018 today. For the money it's brilliant, I paid 235 dollars with free shipping from Revzilla. It comes with an optional db killer that makes it just slightly louder than stock. Without the db killer it's not all that loud and has a nice tone. It's certainly not nearly as loud as bikes I see every day. It's also much lighter than OEM and looks a lot better in my opinion. The number one reason I bought the LV was I couldn't hear my bike with the stock exhaust.

#15 ·
Two Brothers Storm Series Hurricane Slip-On Exhaust Honda CBR500R 2016-2018 (Material: Carbon Fiber). It sounds good installation was easy but I noticed some slight air leakage and there's really nothing more to do to tighten it more. I think I am going to reinstall it with "gasket maker" to seal it a little further.
Cheers

#17 ·
Two Brothers Exhaust sounds really good on this engine. It's not so loud it's disturbing the peace but loud enough most cagers recognize there is a bike in the vicinity. I do think the stock exhaust is too quiet for that purpose alone. I plan on upgrading my new bike with an exhaust as well.

#19 · (Edited)
Years ago, I had a Honda 305 SuperHawk which had the same crank and piston configuration. The one difference that would make a difference is that it had two separate exhaust pipes, and not a 2-into-1 like our stock CB500Fs. Almost everyone who purchased one of those old Superhawks, me included, put on a set of megaphones (not shorties) that made that 305cc sound AWESOME - sort of like a Tiger growling. Deep tone and pretty loud. They came with removable flat end baffle and without the baffles, I loved the sound.

If I could set this one up like that. I would do it in a minute. It would take separating the exhaust pipes, and then adding the megs. With the extra 200cc's that the 500 has ought to make them sound even better than the older 305's.

Here is an internet pic of similar exhaust that I had, but these are aftermarket (as were mine) but these actually have "guts" in them. Mine were totally empty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-250-...=35221970530158ee1b0f39634179b38c8e3fce0cfc8e

Hopes this will bring them up in your browser.

Attachments

#23 ·
+1. It's what I put on my 500X. I run it with the baffle in and it is loud enough but not so obnoxious that I get glares or other nefarious body language from drivers around me. I note some turned heads if I'm going by or rev matching but then they tend to just turn their head back around and "ignore" me. In other words, it gets the attention from those around me and I've seen many a car in front of me start to turn into my lane only to jerk back when I give a quick rev. Let me clarify "in front". I'm talking about enough of a lead that they could merge over, technically, and not hit me but in a mirror I would appear close enough that people would consider me too close to merge as it would be hard to judge the spacing of if I'm too close or not.

#25 ·
Just installed a Leo Vince Corsa Evo this weekend.

I weighed the OEM and the Leo and it shows I shaved 3KG (6lb) off the bike! That plus the awesome low but not obnoxious growl and way better looks (carbon fibre) than the original hulk of an exhaust...all for $260USD ($350CAD) and I'm super happy.

Purchased from AF1 Racing Store in Texas. $266 USD (shipping $30 for USPS to Canada was offset by 10% discount).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.