Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Gas mileage

10K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  Alan Bentham 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all

I am just wondering about gas mileage. I am getting 79.5 mpg on average for the past few months.
This is mainly urban commute in South London.
My bike is a 2017 cb500f UK model.
What are you getting?

#4 ·
My last ten fill-ups have averaged 73.43 mph (bike calculated) / 76.514 (manually calculated). I have the 2016 U.K. model.

Four of those where with premium petrol (Tesco Momentum) which I have noticed does make a justifiable difference for the 5p extra. Though not enough to go out of your way to always get it.

But my riding is mainly getting away from south London for longer rides! Lots of motorway recently too (above included couple visits to the Wye Valley), which brings it down a lot.

I had bike reading of 66.2 mpg on the bike at one recent fill-up (lots of M4 London to Newport), though had 82.0 on another (riding around Suffolk, no dual carriageways, and on Sainsbury's regular).

My best ever reading was 85.1 mg (89.85 manually) after 226.7 miles on Sainsbury's Premium. That was avoiding the motorway from Swindon to Weston-super-Mere via a stop in Bristol, then coming home via Wells, Westbury, and the old A30 to join the A303/M3 at Micheldever Station, filling up halfway back to London.

That was a super fun day, save for the keys to my bike locks falling out of my pocket somewhere in Somerset to be lost forever. And I had to buy a new lock for my top box as you cannot cut spare Givi keys, and I did not want to risk gong out with my only copy.

Mind, that best recent reading in Suffolk was when avoiding some dirty gravel, I caught a less obvious pile of gravel, fell over, and bent the handlebars.

So I think the lesson I have learned is the better the mpg the greater the price you have to pay.

#5 ·
I did several bike readings and got around high 60's when bike was newer. I then did an actual and got just a little over 70 - riding back roads up through the mountains of upper SC and western NC.

Haven't checked it lately for about 3 or 4 months.

#7 ·
My average, over the 3500 miles that I’ve had it, has been 67.59 US MPG. Use standard grade fuel, mostly city riding and backroad trips. Best I’ve had has been since I have been tracking via a fuel app is 70.21. Usually getting about 240 miles out of a tank before fill ups, but could stretch more if it came down to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Gas mileage Reply to Thread

84.32m mpg UK, 70.2 mpg US(3.35 lt per 100kms, 29.8kms per litre ) average over 40,000 kms in Australia nearly all commuting .
Best was 3.17 lt per 100kms or 31.5kms per lt, or 89.11 miles per gal.
Worst was 3.56 lt per 100kms, 79 mpg UK, 66 mpg US, 28 kms per lt.

#16 ·
Im curious as to how people are getting up to 80.
American gallons are smaller than British gallons, so there are two different mpg scales.

It is normally pretty easy to tell which people mean though as apart from a bit of an overlap in the high 60s, anything over that would be incredible for the U.S., and under it would be awful for the U.K.

To convert between them just multiply (American to British) or divide (British to American) by 1.2

Which makes 80 mpg U.K. as being 66⅔ mpg U.S.

The motorways make all the difference for me, I get into low 80s without them, but the high 60s with a lot of them.

#15 ·
I can't remember if I mentioned this in this thread, but I am a believer in Lucas' product that is a gasoline additive. I buy by the gallon from Summit Racing. It is 400:1 ratio, so it lasts a LONG time - I use it in all my vehicles (3.2 oz. to 10 gallons of gas). I am sure that it adds to gas mileage (confirmed in my Toyota Corolla) and it also helps lube and clean the injectors and fuel pump. I use it without fail on every fill up.

#19 ·
Again, I am getting about 80 mpg in the U.S. with U.S. gallons. I'm a fairly old guy, just commuting to work on a road that is mostly about 40 mph. Traffic isn't heavy unless I time it wrong, but it's heavy enough that there's usually a car or two in front of me at the lights, and there's often a car or truck in front of me breaking the modest wind. Mileage has dropped just a smidge with the cooler weather.

Of course the mileage goes down if I'm on the freeway, but I almost never go there. It gets a bit lower if I ride on the twisty roads in the hills and mountains, but because they're so tight that the speeds are low, mileage doesn't get hurt much.

There's nothing special about my bike or technique other than not being super-aggro - it's just the nature of where I'm riding it.

#29 ·
I have a 2013 and i have personally never gotten below 65 mpg. I have 30k miles on my bike now and average is usually 70+ when driving conservative. My bike is geared lower as were the original 2013-2015 cbr500r. I understand they changed the gearing in the 2016 and up but that should easily improve mpg. If you are getting 60 or below i would start cleaning throttle bodies and ensure you are using regular fuel as this bike does not need premium fuel and premium fuel could have adverse effects on your mpg and your engine due to the combustion rate of the higher rated fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.