Jerky / Sensitive Throttle - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Jerky / Sensitive Throttle

Hello fellow Honda CB500 riders!

First time posting here, hoping I can get some answers on a particular issue i'm having with my 2015 Honda CB500F.

Alittle background on myself first, I'm a new rider, obtained my licence about a month ago. My experience on riding different motorbikes include a 2010 Yamaha YBR-125 and a 2017 Honda NC750S. Both these bikes were fairly easy for me to ride and I did not find much of a "jerky" throttle response from both, apart from very slow speeds in first gear on the Yamah YBR-125.

My Honda CB500F however feels very different to both the other two bikes i've used in the past. First and second gear especially feel super sensitive. Small amounts of throttle roll-on or roll-off seem to produce a response i'm not use to. I feel unstable when making turns as the bike tends to jerk backwards and forwards due to throttle input. This feels scary at times if i'm trying to ride around a sharp turn or on roundabouts. I've tried my best, within my skill limits, to control the throttle and keep it as stable as possible when turning and leaning the bike, but the throttle feels very sensitive to me.

Is this a charactaristic of the bike and has anyone else noticed this throttle response from these Honda CB500's ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:33 AM

IMO you will need to adjust to the bike as there is not much that can be done to change the bike. Take time and practice and I am sure you will get used to it.

I find it also very responsive - more so than the last five bikes I have owned. Older carb engines did have a hesitation.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 11:21 AM

I find that if you have too much free play in the throttle cable it will cause the bike to be very jerky at slow speed. Try adjusting that and trying it out.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

The throttle has very little free play. The chain tension seems to be within the 40mm recommendation, although i will need to accurately measure to be sure.

Could a dirty chain cause the bike to behave this way at all?
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 01:41 PM

Garage
No, a dirty chain will not cause the jerkiness,

but if some of the links are rusted, they can cause the chain slack to change as the chain moves over the sprockets and may add to the jerkiness.

I found that the initial gearing to be too low and changing to a 16T drive sprocket helped with the jerkiness.

My 2015 was not as bad as an earlier model that I test rode.
PiedmontBuckeye likes this.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konic View Post
The throttle has very little free play. The chain tension seems to be within the 40mm recommendation, although i will need to accurately measure to be sure.

Could a dirty chain cause the bike to behave this way at all?

No a dirty chain will not cause your problem, I find the bike can be a bit snatchy at times,but you will soon get use to it.

Plasma1.
motohonace likes this.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:29 PM

Garage
I find if Iím off the throttle in 1st or 2nd then go on the throttle, it is jerky. So I feather the clutch a bit on pick up.

Also as you mentioned, check chain slack. You dont want too much slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bambams, eds and Plasma1 like this.

Mods:
I took the stickers off when I was bored
Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters
Titanium short adjustable CNC brake / clutch levers
Phone mount with USB charger
MPR4 tyres
Custom registration plate
GPR Furore Nero exhaust
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:48 PM

[QUOTE=hillscbr;925254]I find if Iím off the throttle in 1st or 2nd then go on the throttle, it is jerky. So I feather the clutch a bit on pick up.

Also as you mentioned, check chain slack. You dont want too much slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QU

Yes thatís what I do ,

Plasma1
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 11:05 PM

+1
as mentioned by Hill above ☝️ the key to smoother riding is between the right wrist and left fingers...
in a tight turn, rather than closing the throttle completely, trail brake with the rear and modulate the clutch accordingly to control the speed.
bambams and Plasma1 like this.

CBR500R Tricolor
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 12:16 PM

I wonder if it is possible to change the twisting "ratio" of the throttle to cable movement? To get a less jerky throttle motion, one could do one of two things: 1) make the diameter of the handlebar throttle tube, thus pulling less cable per revolution movement, or, 2) make the throttle cam at the engine end of the cables larger, also reducing the amount of rotation of the throttle down there.

I would bet that neither of these things are possible without one doing it as a machine shop project.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page