First Oil Change - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

First Oil Change

Just about to my first oil change on a 2017 CB500F. Do I need to get a new drain plug washer? When I would change the oil on a car I would need to replace the washer since it was a crush washer.

Also I am about to order a K&N oil filter (KN-204). It seems like this is the correct one as it's what works for the CB500F 2016 and earlier. It's not looking like they have updated their database to include newer than 2016.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 02:06 PM

K&N 204 is what I use. A lot of people use other brand filters and they seem satisfied. I've done more than a dozen oil changes and I haven't replaced the washer.
In a side note, if you're going to do your own oil changes and other maintenance, you will want to make good records to keep your warranty in tact. There are apps for your smartphone that are good. Hand written notation is fine too. A lot of people already know this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. Yes, I am planning on keeping all the receipts and keeping track of all the maintenance in a spreadsheet.
chzeckmate likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:25 PM

I always change the sealing washer, they are cheap.
ajspear likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 09:24 AM

FWIW, I never change the washer on anything (auto included). I do like to clean all surfaces and use a very, very thin amount of RTV on both sides of washer. Never had a leak. I just snug up the drain plug w/o overdoing it.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiedmontBuckeye View Post
FWIW, I never change the washer on anything (auto included). I do like to clean all surfaces and use a very, very thin amount of RTV on both sides of washer. Never had a leak. I just snug up the drain plug w/o overdoing it.

+1, I do the same.

Plasma1
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 12:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollerms View Post
I always change the sealing washer, they are cheap.
+1, it is cheap peace of mind.

'16 CB500F
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:56 PM

You gotta do what feels right for you. I have never changed a crush washer except on brake hoses. Never had a leak. Peace of mind can also come from knowing you are not wasting money on something not needed. Rick
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 05:43 PM

It's something that Honda recommends changing every oil change. It's about $1.99. Bike is under warranty, why not stay in spec with Honda? I change mine.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 06:12 PM

Drain plug torque is 22 ft. lbs. per service manual, with a good torque wrench, I have a couple of Snap-On torque wrenches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page