shifting is clunky... - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

shifting is clunky...

My 2012 cb500f with about 4000 miles shifts poorly. This is based only on my experience with other bikes I have ridden. The shifting (up or down) on this bike is not very smooth and regularly it is more effort that it should be find neutral. Is this a common complaint or experience?

Cheers!
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:47 PM

Mine was like that when I first got it. A simple adjustment on the lower adjuster is all I needed to do.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 07:22 PM

Garage
Find mine can be incredibly silky smooth one ride, next ride its clunky and loud. Very irritating as I keep blaming myself. But even riding as identically as possible the shifting always changes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtigger View Post
Find mine can be incredibly silky smooth one ride, next ride its clunky and loud. Very irritating as I keep blaming myself. But even riding as identically as possible the shifting always changes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
An oil change should fix that. I always change at ~2k-2.5k miles. That keeps that from happening.

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:03 AM

One thing I think that may help cause the "clunkiness" is the clutch is too tight, and when engaging it, it still is putting some "turning" pressure on the gears. Try re-adjusting the clutch cable (rotate the adjuster so it is longer). Just make sure you don't go too far and have the clutch slipping when riding.
Doziglieri likes this.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiedmontBuckeye View Post
One thing I think that may help cause the "clunkiness" is the clutch is too tight, and when engaging it, it still is putting some "turning" pressure on the gears. Try re-adjusting the clutch cable (rotate the adjuster so it is longer). Just make sure you don't go too far and have the clutch slipping when riding.

+1, that's what I did .

Plasma1.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiedmontBuckeye View Post
This seems backward to me. If the clutch is dragging, or "putting some turning pressure on the gears", then you need to SHORTEN the cable and make the clutch lever more "tight".
chzeckmate likes this.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRider View Post
This seems backward to me. If the clutch is dragging, or "putting some turning pressure on the gears", then you need to SHORTEN the cable and make the clutch lever more "tight".
Yep. Putting more tension on the cable is what worked for me. A couple of turns on the lower adjusting nut is all you need.

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 07:14 AM

keep to properly recommend clutch free play. if you have changed to adjustable lever, make sure there's no drag when the clutch is fully depressed.
chzeckmate likes this.

CBR500R Tricolor
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRider View Post
I was referring to the adjuster on the handlebar. Rotating it out of the holder will in effect lengthen the outside cable housing - which has the same effect of pulling the inner cable tighter - which has the effect of pulling in the clutch lever further which then dis-engages the clutch more when shifting.

Any way to make the outer cable housing LONGER will do the same thing - whether you do it up at the handlebar or down at the engine.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page