Improve engine sound? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Improve engine sound?

So I know the bike is only a small 2 cyl. and the main thing that alters the sound of an engine is the internal layout. (Amount of valves. Ignition timing. Stroke length compared to the bore ratio...) but I have started getting more and more annoyed with how weak my Cb500F sounds. I know it is a rather weak bike, but i've met plenty of people on 300cc and even 125cc with better, rougher sounding bikes. I have a GPR Furore slipon, wich i regret getting, as the diameter should be bigger to deepen the sound. But lately i have considered getting a full R77 system, but judging by videos, this doesn't seem to make a large difference. Tips to make the bike sound a little louder, and alot more punchy?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 07:31 PM

Megaphone exhausts and shorties give nice sound

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 PM

Louder is easy. More punchy is not. Rick
Doziglieri likes this.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:33 AM

LOL. I guess Honda engineers worked quite a lot to make the sound kinda unobtrusive or less mean and dekiver on noise emission requirements. Also the way it operates (valve overlap, port forms, etc) makes it silent besides being very effective. Having a 180degree crank helps in balancing the engine - but an engine with 270 deg crank (such as in the new AT, or Yammi MT07) would have a more characteristic sound.
Some of the engine sound comes from the airbox. A free flowing filter and removal of the snorkel can improve that.
I'm quite sure changing the cams to a Crower high lift cams with more overlap would give it more of a character too.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:56 AM

I have Arrow de-cat headers, Delkevic stainless steel end can and K&N filter. IMO, it sounds much better than stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svemal View Post
So I know the bike is only a small 2 cyl. and the main thing that alters the sound of an engine is the internal layout. (Amount of valves. Ignition timing. Stroke length compared to the bore ratio...) but I have started getting more and more annoyed with how weak my Cb500F sounds. I know it is a rather weak bike, but i've met plenty of people on 300cc and even 125cc with better, rougher sounding bikes. I have a GPR Furore slipon, wich i regret getting, as the diameter should be bigger to deepen the sound. But lately i have considered getting a full R77 system, but judging by videos, this doesn't seem to make a large difference. Tips to make the bike sound a little louder, and alot more punchy?
Years ago, I had a Honda SuperHawk (CB77) - a 305cc with twin separate exhaust pipes and mufflers. It had the same crank configuration (180 Deg.) and fired alternately. There was a popular aftermarket megaphone set that was available at the time that made that bike sound AWESOME!! To get that same sound on this bike would need to separate out the exhaust pipes and get some megs.

My SuperHawk at idle and just off idle sounded like a cat (tiger/lion) growling and at high RPMs had a pretty deep pitch sound that was great!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 11:23 AM

You CAN get louder - its called a HARLEY!

What you have is a 500cc Honda!
ExTex, bambams and motohonace like this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 11:59 PM

Garage
Loud is obnoxious. Loud will not get you seen. For every person that thinks how cool you are when you make noise going past 9 more will think "what a dick" or "what a small dick". Honda's are quiet by nature. We see this as a strength. Don't see it as a weakness. There are a few Honda's that make more noise, and rightfully so, but this is not one of them. Of all of the after market exhausts I've listened to for this bike none of them change it significantly. In my opinion, they make it worse. Want the 500 to make noise? Then twist the goddamn throttle. At 5000 RPM it makes noise. At 7000 RPM it makes noise. If you want your bike to make noise at 3000 RPM then get yourself a big V-twin or start breaking laws and take the exhaust apart. But for every motorcyclist that cheers on the needless noise, 2 more will shake their head. You won't be fooling anybody performance wise. And nor should you need to. You should learn to like what you have. It's cheaper that way. And it'll perform the way Honda's engineers designed it to, instead of losing a notch to make noise for no good reason. With regards to being seen, all you need is bright colors, good lane positioning, paying attention to your surroundings, and riding defensively. This bike would be stupidly loud if you removed the exhaust entirely. I don't think it's worth the fine you'll eventually get though.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:06 AM

Garage
On another note, my finacée works at a daycare, and occasionally she'll ask me to do her a favor and drop something off to her. When that something fits in a rucksack I take my motorcycle. And 9/10 when I show up the children are all sleeping. The staff can't even hear that I'm there, let alone waking up the children. If I showed up with a goddamn noisy bike and woke the children up I guarantee there would not be ONE impressed person. I would have about 10 angry adult women (including a bitching one that will follow me home later) and 40 screaming children. Being loud seems cool when you're too young to know better, but the majority of the population finds it disruptive and annoying, and honestly you'd rather not draw attention to yourself when you're riding. You'll look cool enough to anybody that sees you. Trust me. You don't need to make noise.
Bumpa and motohonace like this.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:21 AM

I'm with @bambams. I've done quite a few mods in the last couple of years. The exhaust isn't one of them. The stock canister is good. Plenty loud in the power band. Set a decent video camera on the ground and video yourself pulling away rapidly, then do a flyby in the power band. Watch and see. Plenty of noise. It's your money, though. Spend it how you like.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page