LED install: Resistors - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By icarusian

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

LED install: Resistors

Hey all,

I am in the process of installed LED lighting for the turn signals and integrated brake light. Everything is wired up, the small major issue is the resistor for the rear light gets hot to the point of melting the outside heat wrapping and smoking.

My setup is: LED turn signals up front with no resistor or adapter plugs; they are just spliced into the original wiring (no daytime running light), integrated brake light with built-in resistor and plugs, and no delay fuse to keep the lights from hyperflashing.

Anyone electrically inclined have thoughts on why the rear resistor is getting to this point? My only thought was that it might be handling all the LED output power? Again, any thoughts would be appreciated!

Below is what the resistor looks like for a visual.

Thanks,
Yums

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hpr_00_220_30700_b_1_xl.21.jpg (30.2 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:27 AM

Garage
The rear resistor may get hot if it's incorrectly being used on the brake "running light." The resistor is simulating an incandescent lamp so it's going to get pretty danged hot if it's used for anything other than an intermittent load like a turn signal. To put this in perspective, an incandescent lamp is nothing more than a resistor which gets hot enough to glow.

Overall, replacing the relay with an LED compatible unit is the best possible option for LED signals. It's under the gas tank but it's not a difficult install and you won't need to wire in resistors.

I think I used

Garandman likes this.

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram
On a silver black phantom bike
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:16 PM

Rip the resistors out, and change the flasher relay for an LED relay. The relay costs less than $10 takes 20 minutes to fit and fixes all your problems, using a load resistor is a dumb way to fix the flasher issue.

Gary

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, @Thrasherg I agree, it's just what came with the back light and was working fine with the standard turn signals before the LEDs. @icarusian I have a new replacement relay coming in tomorrow, luckily the gas tank is easily removed so hopefully like Thrasherg said it will be a simple job. If all goes well I'll post some pictures of the process just in case someone is weary of mucking about with a gas tank.

Thanks again
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:50 PM

Garage
Good move. I didn't even need to remove the tank. I just flipped it up a bit and was able to access everything with my dainty ladylike hands.

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram
On a silver black phantom bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page