Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Spare Key

17K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  MasterOvDisaster 
#1 ·
I am a firm believer that things sometimes happen because you are least prepared for them. I have always taped a spare key to my bikes. Never had to use one. Yet. Where is the best place/price to get a spare (third) key for a CB500F? Thanks. Rick

#4 · (Edited)
No locksmith with Honda key blank in the Republik of Davis. I'll check elsewhere. Just hoping the blank is not an unobtainium, high-priced, Honda item. Bike is stored under cover in locked garage. Years ago while touring on a BMW, a friend and his wife came out of a mom and pop restaurant in a small town in MT on a Friday night, and my friend dropped his key down a storm drain. Public works people were not available on the weekend. Took them three days to get the key out of the storm drain. He was lucky to get it back. I do want that to happen to me. Rick

#5 ·
#7 · (Edited)
ExTex - My usually reliable West Sacramento locksmith did not have a blank and could not match the numbers in his computer. Apparently Honda came up with a new "wave style" ignition key for 2017. Suggested I go to the dealer. Guess that is what I will do. Thanks again. Rick

#8 ·
Sorry, I forgot to check which year your bike is.
Honda had some bending problems with the older style key, so I guess they improved it.
Yes, the dealer is your best choice unless you order from a web site to get a better price.
Just be sure that your locksmith can cut the key for you.
Honda # 35121-MJE-A02
$16 to $22

A locksmith article: Back Page, Dec. 2015 | Locksmith Ledger
"A second original Honda blank with a different bow shape is 35121-MJE-A02. No aftermarket key blanks are available at this time. Additional information will be printed in a subsequent Locksmith Ledger. "

Honda Laser Track Key HD117PH 35121-MJE-A02 Honda [HD117PH] - $17.00 : Motorcycle Key Blanks, Honda, Ducati, Kawasaki Motorcycle Key Blanks, Scooter, ATV Keys Yamaha, Keys4UrRide.com

Ride safely

#11 · (Edited)
I got and extra key made for my 2016 at a large locksmith shop.
They had the blank, and laser cut it while I waited.
Total cost was $37.

I only had one key for the BMW I rode for 9 years. Always aware of storm drains/grates, never removed key from my pocket when around them. Never lost a key, in all my years of riding.
Never attach other keys or fobs to the key.
I hate seeing the area around the ignition switch get all scratched up from metal fobs and loose keys.

#12 ·
What I like to do is attach a black lanyard to the key, without any other keys as mentioned above, and then when I go away, I loop the lanyard around the mirror. When I go into a restaurant I will leave the key there, but with the lanyard, I lock the steering stem and then "drop" the key into a hole (like between the forks and the tank) where it is out of sight. Hardly anyone would see the lanyard as long as it is black or dark color. Then, I don't have to worry about it being dropped or lost. I still try to sit in an area where I can keep an eye on the bike though.

If I do take it off the bike, I then loop the lanyard through my belt loop and then put the key in my pocket. Then, even "I" can't drop or lose it!

Reactions: MasterOvDisaster
#13 ·
I always have some extra keys with the ignition key (house key, helmet lock key, etc) so I use a cut-up tank pad to protect that area from scratches.
Not perfect, but some protection.

#14 ·
I have seen people keep their ignition key attached to their pants by a coiled key chain whilst riding. I think it is so that they cannot be bike-jacked, by someone reaching over to steal the key when stopped at lights, for example. But even if not worried about that, it would also solve the problem of losing it down drains.

#20 ·
Yo, RalphG....
How are You?
Was checking out Your post about getting a new key made & was wondering if You ever ended up finding something "cost effective"?
These Scam Artists over here in Chicago at the 'Ace Hardware' are trying to pry $300 outta me for a Key.
Absolutely Ridiculous, since I Already have a Uncut HONDA Key & just need it cut.
* And The HISS System?
No one at the Local Honda Motorcycle shop had any idea what I was talking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.