CB500F on the highway; how to make it more comfortable - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
CB500F on the highway; how to make it more comfortable

Hi All,

I'm starting a new thread to discuss my highway riding opinion, and request some help and ideas. I'm taking wendyjboss's 'Best of times... 'thread as a starting point, but I don't want to go off topic in that thread.

So, to begin. My normal commute is about 10 km/ 6 miles to work. Generally easy urban riding, with about 65 gear shifts each way. All fine and dandy, except for a stupidly placed horn button and an occasionally recalcitrant transmission. Yesterday I did my first highway ride- about 40km 25 miles (Vancouver to Tsawassen, for anybody who knows the BC lower mainland). I was riding at 90 - 105 kph, so 55 - 65 mph. It was horrible. I might have hit 110 kph but it was unbearable.

Not the traffic, not the bike necessarily, but the noise in my helmet. So, I'm hoping for some tips from others about how they feel about the F on the highway, and what you might have done to make it better. I'm frankly astounded that anyone thinks the bike is good at 130 kph plus. I don't actually think that the bike has enough power to do that easily, but clearly it will go that fast. I know that opinon is mine and may not be shared by others, but nothing about this bike feels like the highway is its happy place. But actually, all I want to do is find a way to make 110 kph tolerable.

I recognize that wind noise is different than mechanical noise. So, earplugs are a necessary starting point. I've also installed a Puig Touring II windshield, and we'll see how that goes. My worry is that it will just throw the wind stream into my helmet. I'd like not to be bent over along the tank, as that is just uncomfortable -hence the F rather than an R.

I have a Shoei Neotech, which is, by all accounts, a quiet helmet. I'm just under 6' tall. and not unusually shaped. Any other thoughts? Suggestions? Different windshield? Horror stories from other bikes?

Respectfully submitted....

PiedmontBuckeye likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 06:17 PM

Preload the gearshift lever to make the shifts smoother. Go higher into the rev range before shifting to get into the power band. Very happy at highway speeds if you do that. schuberth helmets are quiet. You already mentioned ear plugs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
post #3 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 07:04 PM

Garage
I use ear plugs and a little windshield that keeps me from getting tossed around, it helps with wind guests or cross winds, smoother transition and easier on me. I'm relaxed on the bars without grip clutch on the bars that would very before the little windshield.

post #4 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:18 PM

In clean air, I don't feel like I have any problems at any speed on my 2013 F. I do have a small Puig windscreen (see my signature). Some have said screens make the buffeting worse. I loves two lane roads especially. On multi-lane freeways/interstates/highways, the massively disturbed air from all of te Trucks and RVs can be problematic above 65 mph, but I'll still plow though it when I have to. Nothing unbearable as you describe.

Ear plugs for sure.

You may want to try a different helmet. Helmets are designed differently with different riding positions in mind... full tuck, semi-tuck, upright, etc. I don't know for sure about yours and what it is best for. Helmets with a chin curtain and substantial neck roll can help the wind issue. I just use a fairly cheap HJC IS-17, but it did well in crash tests. (https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?ma...l=IS-17&type=1)

+1 on keeping the revs up. You won't hurt this bike keeping it in the proper power range.
sonicboom likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 CB500F
2015 CB500X

Honda rear hugger
R & G radiator guard
Puig 6437 screen in black
Rally Raid Level 1 suspension
Rally Raid skid plate, pegs, rear brake res cover
The Cycle Guys expandable FastPack pillion bag
Two Bros. Black Series slip-on exhaust M-2 Aluminum canister, P1 insert

The Black Bike Clan
Because nothing beats the black bike!
post #5 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:47 PM

Location: beautiful Fogo Island, a one hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland
Garage
I believe one of the biggest causes for reports of excessive wind noise is due to poor helmet design, and more importantly, wearing the wrong size of helmet. The vast majority of riders will purchase helmets that are too large... a looser-fitting helmet will naturally feel more comfy than a tighter fitting one, so most folks tend to go too large. This looser-fitting helmet results in excess wind noise. I have a 2014 CB500FA, and my helmet is a very snug (but very comfy) HJC CL-17 "Redline", and I have never had any wind noise issues at all. I've never felt as though I require earplugs, and quite frankly, I never think about wind noise, as my ride is so quiet, even at 120+ km/h. To test the fitment of your helmet... while wearing it, grab it with both hands and try to force it to turn, while at the same time keeping your head as still as you can. There should be no play (slippage) at all between head and helmet. If there is, then your helmet is too large. Look in the mirror, and you should be able to see that the padding is pushing significantly into your cheeks. If it's not making you look a bit like a chipmunk, it's too large/loose.

As for the wind itself, (at highway speeds) you really do get accustomed to it after awhile. I can remember the first few times I went out on my new 500F, and at even a modest 80-110 km/h I felt as though I was going to blow right off my bike! It felt like the wind was excessively hitting my chest and it was just an all-around scary feeling. But I had read on this fine forum that newbies will often complain about the wind, but will soon become accustomed to it, to the point that one no longer even notices it... at any speed... and they were right! In no time at all, I had forgotten all about my earlier wind complaints.

I have no wish to ever add a windshield to this bike, nor to my 2014 Yamaha V-Star Custom. (cruiser) It's just not necessary, plus I believe both bikes look nicer without them. Also, I know of many people who have installed these windshields, and then reported that they did not notice any significant improvement, or may have even made things a bit worse.

Anyway, just my two cents. I think more people need assistance in purchasing a proper-fitting helmet. Almost every rider that I know, wears a helmet which is too large for their head. They all say how comfortable it is, and at the same time will complain about the level of wind noise. I believe that if they all went down a size or two, they would no longer be needing earplugs. I have ridden my bike at 175 km/h, and even at this crazy speed the wind noise was surprisingly low... in fact the tires/chain/engine/exhaust note was louder than the wind.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
bambams and wendyjboss like this.

2014 HONDA CB500FA
CB300F mirrors
R&G "aero" frame sliders
The2Wheels adjustable levers
SupaBrake-II brake light modulator
SJCAM SJ4000 camera
Cortech Super 2.0 tail bag
Taylor33 rim tape
Grip Puppies
CNC kickstand foot
thermometer
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
post #6 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 10:43 PM

Garage
I find that the Givi A1126Windscreen gives me some protection from wind on my chest without causing additional helmet noise.
In winter, I use a taller windshield, but it is noisy.

Ride Safely
Timberdog likes this.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #7 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gents,

Thanks for all the considerate and extensive replies. To respond to some of the comments:

chzeckmate: the preload tip is interesting; I found that doing so actually 'works' the shifter to get it 'engaged' sort of the way that we used to do with kickstarters. I'm not worried about the power band however, and I can often shift smoothly at 3 -4k rpm. And my downshifts are excellent, to be honest. Still I don't see this bike being happy at 130 kph. The Schuberth is quiet, and the Shoei Neotech is measured at very close to the Schuberth.

irppcer: I'm getting the Puig Naked sport windshield tomorrow and that may make a useful difference. I've tried many helmets and the Shoei fits my head perfectly. I've tried HJC and they just don't fit the same. Riding position is certainly a variable I can control.

camperbc: I take your point on helmet fitting, but I'm very confident on my helmet fit. I'm not new to motorcycles or two wheeled transport. It's been about 23 years for me now. With respect, I'm not a newbie.

And interestingly, I recently removed all the padding and washed it; the pads fluffed up to a surprising degree, and the fit is now more snug than it was before. I've also done reasonable highway mileage on my Piaggio BV350 and it was less noisy than the CB. So, this could simply be a matter of windflow and the geometry of the CB and my body. But still, it is a serious problem. I can't imagine this bike at 175 kph.

I've had windscreens on and off my scooter, and the difference is huge, even in the city.

I'll try the other screen, possibly ride some other bikes. Also I'll look into some sort of shield that seals the neck area area of the helmet.

Again, my thanks for all the help.
post #8 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:29 PM

Location: beautiful Fogo Island, a one hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrianissimo View Post
camperbc:.. With respect, I'm not a newbie.
With respect, I was certainly not implying that you were a newbie. I was simply stating that any wind noise while riding my 500F is at a minimum, which I must attribute to my helmet. I also wish to add that at freeway speeds the 500F has got to be about the smoothest/quietest/easiest bike I have ever ridden in my 37 years on two wheels, so I was a bit surprised to hear you say that you "don't see this bike being happy at 130 km/h". At 130 the 500F is in fact not even breaking a sweat. Most owners do in time get used to the force of the wind at speed, so I believe that you will soon discover just how smooth and calm the 500F is, even at freeway speeds.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

2014 HONDA CB500FA
CB300F mirrors
R&G "aero" frame sliders
The2Wheels adjustable levers
SupaBrake-II brake light modulator
SJCAM SJ4000 camera
Cortech Super 2.0 tail bag
Taylor33 rim tape
Grip Puppies
CNC kickstand foot
thermometer
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
post #9 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:38 AM

Garage
I had a Schuberth helmet. One of the biggest reasons it's quiet is that it has a lower collar that completely seals the neck.

Most wind noise comes up through the bottom of the helmet. Try scrunching your head down when riding to hear the difference.

Giannelli slip-on, MRA windscreen, GIPro gear indicator, OEM center stand & seat cowl, adjustable levers, grip covers, R&G Frame Sliders, Moto Werk risers & mirror extenders, TechSpec tank pads, MFW Foot Pegs, Biker fork brace & front axle slider, fender extender, Honda license frame, Protech chain guard, BabyFace bar ends, Denali LED lights & horn, Formotion Thermometer, Driven Racing rear axle sliders, Evotech exhaust hanger & radiator guard, Ermax belly pan, tail light modulator
post #10 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 09:19 AM

Garage
Cool

I find that wind buffeting, wind noise and heavy traffic noise can be very distracting initially and they don't have to all be together. Supposedly my Shoei GT-Air is quiet, but I will believe it when I find a helmet that does not register noise, especially with the air vents open.

You get used to it, but ear plugs are a very good idea. If nothing else, because they won't drown everything out which is probably a good thing, they will help to protect your hearing when your louder and longer rides are more than 20 minutes ... should always use them.

I almost never shift up below 4000 rpms. Most likely I don't even shift from 5th to 6th until I've hit 5000 rpms and then its just go go go (!-)) ... I have the "R", but I don't think the bikes are that much different power-wise.
chzeckmate and motohonace like this.

Live to ride, ride to live
wendyjboss

:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page