Basic Engine Mods - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Basic Engine Mods

Several posters have opined that there's not much power to be gained with these motors.

Maybe.

But what about low and midrange torque? I have personal experience with a bike that was dyno tuned after a basic muffler swap, and the results were dramatic. Peak HP increased ~5% (hardly noticeable), but midrange torque went up by ~20% (dramatic!).

And we see situations where tuning the FI makes for smoother acceleration/better throttle response and low end cruising.

So does anyone have any experience with such things? What can be gained from a PowerCommander? Opening up the air box? Better (while still reasonably quiet) exhaust?

Compared to some bikes I've ridden, the CB500 isn't bad, so I'm not trying to fix something that's "broken."

Your suggestions very much appreciated. Thanx.

Abstruse1
Dallas, TX USA
Looking for better ways to burn gas since 1960.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 05:15 PM

I think in other posts ive seen you are just waisting your money that free flowing air filters and exhaust and power commander does not give you much gain at all, the design on the engine the air flow and all is pretty much spot on from the factory and not being able to flash the computer doesnt help. Since this bike was built for a specific purpose its hard to hot rod it.
Brian_S likes this.

2013 cbr 500 r
Two brothers carbon exhaust
Givii rack and top case
Corbin rear seat
2012 spark black ninja 1000
Puig windscreen
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers exhaust
Givi rack and top box
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:25 PM

Garage
There's precious-little "scientific" proof of anything. No one that I know of have done step-by-step tests that shows the gains (or losses) of a combination of parts.

Perhaps you could purchase an exhaust, an air filter and a PC-V. Take it all with you to a dyno. Run the bike up on the dyno bone stock, then swap the exhaust, the run it again. Then swap the filter, and run it again. Then install the PC-V, have it tuned and finalize the dyno figures.

Would be helpful to have such testing done within minutes/hours of each other, on the same dyno, on the same day with the same fuel etc etc.

2014 Honda CBR500RA (sold)
2011 Yamaha FZS800 (sold)
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstruse1 View Post
Several posters have opined that there's not much power to be gained with these motors.

Maybe.

But what about low and midrange torque? I have personal experience with a bike that was dyno tuned after a basic muffler swap, and the results were dramatic. Peak HP increased ~5% (hardly noticeable), but midrange torque went up by ~20% (dramatic!).

And we see situations where tuning the FI makes for smoother acceleration/better throttle response and low end cruising.

So does anyone have any experience with such things? What can be gained from a PowerCommander? Opening up the air box? Better (while still reasonably quiet) exhaust?

Compared to some bikes I've ridden, the CB500 isn't bad, so I'm not trying to fix something that's "broken."

Your suggestions very much appreciated. Thanx.
It all comes down to investment vs. performance enhancement ratio. Unfortunately with this Honda engine, we have very little maneuvering space in regards to moderate or major power gains. Even with a few grand spent on obvious add-ons, the power boost is quite marginal.

2014 Honda CB500F
Leo Vince GP Corsa slip on
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:22 PM

You can make the bike quite a bit faster by adding constant rate springs and emulators to the forks plus a good rear shock with better damping control. You will certainly go faster round corners with a lot more confidence. In a straight line It will go about 110 mph. If that isn't fast enough then you may have to get a bike with a bigger engine.

Current
Yamaha FJ--09 Cinelli Pro Estrada, Rocky Mountain Element 30, Honda Accord Sport
Some Previous
Honda CBR500RA, Honda CBR250RA, Honda V65 Magna 1100cc, Yamaha 750 Maxim, Lotus Europa
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:15 PM

The little 471cc is already **** close to the 100 hp / liter rate. What more do you want out of it? It would be best to look at weight saving mods. Like lighter bars, lighter exhaust, lighter foot pegs, have the swing arm drilled, that kind of stuff. Oh and stop eating Twinkies.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:40 PM

Garage
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynolan223322 View Post
The little 471cc is already **** close to the 100 hp / liter rate. What more do you want out of it? It would be best to look at weight saving mods. Like lighter bars, lighter exhaust, lighter foot pegs, have the swing arm drilled, that kind of stuff. Oh and stop eating Twinkies.
Hit me in the "right there feels doncha"....love my twinkies!

Been Twisting Throttles since 1986!

2013 Honda CBR500R (TriColor)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 PM

full exhaust, airbox mod, thin head gasket, cams -> +10-15hp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
full exhaust, airbox mod, thin head gasket, cams -> +10-15hp
if this is true,
would love to see the dyno chart.

CBR500R Tricolor
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburn View Post
if this is true,
would love to see the dyno chart.
It is true. add a ported head too, once you've anyway installing a thinner gasket.

@cameronjones can get you a dyno chart of his SB spec 500R @65hp :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in