Changing sprocket - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Changing sprocket

2013 CB500f
Pros and cons of upgrading tooth on front sprocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 08:03 AM

Garage
I have had no cons.
I like the 16T sprocket I installed.
Installation is easy enough if you have a service manual.

Ride Safely

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Do you notice a difference with the acceleration? I want more top end. Well crushing at a higher speed at lower RPM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:33 AM

FYI Changing to a 16T front sprocket is a fairly big No-No on a 112 link chain.
It will be running the same link - tooth combo too often which can lead to uneven wear.
I advise to consult gear commander to set proper gearing as per your needs and check for possible issues.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 02:20 PM

Garage
Oyabun, I do not understand your statement.
Changing from a 15 tooth to a 16 tooth sprocket is a 6% difference.
The chain will not notice the change.
If you are saying that one needs to use odd-numbered tooth sprockets, I have never heard that .

I do not expect the top-end or the acceleration to change notably. I changed sprockets before many miles on my 500.

ride safely,

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 03:33 PM

It has nothing to do with the amount of gearing change. In fact I support gearing changes to suit one's driving style or conditions. Indeed it is about the even number of teeth on an even link number chain.
As 112 (the number of links on the standard 500 chain) is 7*16 it means that in case of using a 16T front sprocket all the links will get to the same tooth on the front sprocket every time. It is not something what would result in an early catastrophic issue but results in uneven wear - and a snapped chain is certainly not really funny and should be avoided if possible.
I'm on my mobile so cannot directly calculate it for you now, but I believe a 17 43 combination should result in a very similar final gearing that 16:41 but should result in significantly less same tooth - link contact effectively distributing wear along the chain and teeth.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 08:41 PM

Garage
Thanks for the explanation. Guess I would have been better to have bought a smaller rear sprocket.

thanks,
ride safely

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:30 PM

I have been riding for over 50 years and I have never heard of that theory of sprocket choice. I think it is voodoo science. Think about how many times that front sprocket turns compared to turns on the rear. The fact that that same link shows up on the same tooth every once in awhile would have an insignificant effect.
AlexBates likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRider View Post
I have been riding for over 50 years and I have never heard of that theory of sprocket choice. I think it is voodoo science. Think about how many times that front sprocket turns compared to turns on the rear. The fact that that same link shows up on the same tooth every once in awhile would have an insignificant effect.
**** yeah. Now we talking.
Probably you have haven't taken mechanical engineering classes like I did, or it was too long ago to remember. The principle is widespreadly used in mechanical engineering. There is a point why most motorcycles are installed with odd number of sprockets from the factory. I have quite a few printed engineering schoolbooks some of them written 40 years ago where this principle is clearly expressed when talking about chain drive systems.

Installing a 16 tooth front sprocket on a 112 link chain means the same link will contact the same tooth every single time!

Here is an easy explanation from gearing commander: GC: 'Same tooth - same link' situation

A direct reference from "Design of Machine Elements, 14.7 Design of Chain drive"
https://books.google.hu/books?id=M1y...sprocket+chain

And an another one from the book "Principles of Machine Operation and Maintenance"
https://books.google.hu/books?id=zWb...ooth+same+link

Or an another citation from "Modern Diesel Technology: Heavy Equipment Systems"
https://books.google.hu/books?id=7pg...ooth+same+link

@ExTex, As I wrote earlier nothing to worry about on the short term - just pay attention, look for uneven wear of the chain or front sprocket every now and then, and change the whole drive all together when time comes.

@McRider, The fact that you have not heard about something does not mean that it does not exists. I'm pretty sure 50 or even 30 years ago you'd say that a network what contains pretty much all knowledge and information is bogus or woodoo science - even though Arpanet the very father of the Internet you use today was already invented, implemented and very well documented already in the sixties. Open your mind, and use the available resources before you judge others.

Peace and keep the shiny side up guys.
tothezenith and AlexBates like this.

Last edited by Oyabun; 03-13-2016 at 05:13 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 05:13 PM

Garage
Oyabun is correct, it's not voodoo, it's mathematics that is further explained on the gearing commander website mentioned.
With the stock combination, the chain has to do 615 revolutions before the same link-tooth comes around. Whereas a 16/41 combo only needs 41 revolutions to the same link-chain.
I learnt this after I had already changed the rear sprocket for a 38T, i haven't traveled enough distance yet to notice wear patterns. As far as the chance how, 3 down rear is similar to 1 up front, it's basically dropped the rpms by 7-8%; so at 100kph it's now sits ~4650 instead of around 5000. Hard to judge difference in acceleration as the butt dyno doesn't operate in fractions.

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page