Frankenstein 1978 CB125s (2015 CBR Engine) - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Frankenstein 1978 CB125s (2015 CBR Engine)

Yes, this is quite a difference in engine size, and save your “that’s not a good idea”s because I already have almost everything I need. My current question is about hooking up some kind of fuel sensor to plug into my universal fuel gauge sender to plug into the dash. It’s basically a little computer that lets me hook up any fuel sensor to any gauge. It’s programmable. I’m looking for something non-invasive to the original gas tank if possible, such as an fuel pressure sensor that just measures the hydrostatic pressure of the gas tank before it goes into my inline fuel pump and regulator. Any ideas? (And yes, I’m planning on keeping it a trailblazer style bike.) Any other concerns about improbability or likely problems I’ll run into are very welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Also, I am planning to use the 2015 CBR500R wiring harness and display, so it’s not a COMPLETE sleeper . . .
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I also can’t really find another forum that would be a better place for this . . . it doesn’t seem like something people do that often.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:00 AM

Maybe I'm reading this question wrong. Are you asking for a fuel sensor to measure fuel tank quantity? How much fuel's in the tank. Or fuel pressure? Pressure of the fuel in an enclosed part of the system.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

I’m doing it to measure the fuel in the gas tank. I’m a bit of a scatter brain, sorry for not being so clear.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:21 PM

Most of the bikes appear to have a simple float-style sending unit. But that float assembly is normally attached to the fuel pump assembly. NOT CHEAP. I'm sending a link for a 2018 Suzuki GSX250R showing a schematic of it's gas tank. Part # 2 is the fuel level sending unit. This particular unit is separate from the fuel pump and attaches to the inner lip, bottom opening, of the fuel tank. Works great, but geez how to modify another tank for the same idea?? I sent this diagram ONLY to give you a VISUAL of a possibility. I have no idea how you could do it. BUT, if you're up to this "Frankenstein Project", this may be an easy fix for you. Good Luck.

https://www.revzilla.com/oem/suzuki/...odel=gsx250rl8

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Well I’m thinking of trying to figure out something that doesn’t involve me modifying the gas tank, that’s why I was thinking of some fuel pressure sensor just inline with the fuel tank to the external fuel sender that I’m going to use. The gas tank is small and I don’t think I could modify it to fit a ballast or internal fuel pump and sender inside of it without it hitting the top. I hope this makes sense. I’ll try to remember to make a little diagram when I get home to sort of explain my idea.
airhead83 likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

There’s this product that basically does exactly what I want, it’s just that I want to make it myself so I can send it to the CBR500R display and also not spend $180.00.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223256685945
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

(Make sure to check the description for the diagram it uses.)
airhead83 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Also; as an update; I’ve made steel brackets made out of that “L” shaped steel that fit onto the back two engine mounts, I just need to drill the holes and see how I need to modify the frame to fit this monster in it. I finished fabricating a new position for the ignition switch right below where the display goes, somewhat like what the newer bikes these day have.
I’ve made a cardboard cutout of the bracket to hold the display, I’ll modify it a little before cutting it out of steel. I’m going to put the appropriate bend in the bracket to angle the display a little better before I weld some metal underneath the bracket to strengthen it to prevent it from bending/changing the angle of the display over time.
As crazy as it sounds, I’m going to try and modify the original swing arm to house the new CBR500R rear tire, as it seems to be an easier solution than trying to modify the original wheel to stick out the sprocket further, plus I don’t want to lose all the power this engine has on a 2.5” wide wheel. XD
Pretty much everything electronic on the bike will be / already is just the wiring from the cbr’s harness, minus the blinkers and headlights, obviously.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. (Or any ideas of how to do the fuel sensor problem listed above!)
airhead83 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page