Out of Clutch lever freeplay - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Out of Clutch lever freeplay

Hi guys

I have a 2014 Honda CBR500R with 30,000 miles. I am out of clutch free play adjustment at both the lever and the clutch cover case. I replaced the clutch cable (I thought perhaps it was stretched out) but that didn't do much. I thought it could be the clutch pack wearing but my buddy disagreed. He said (1) the plates wouldn't wear to the point of affecting the cable over an inch in length, and (2) if the plates would wear then you would need a longer cable to compensate for the loss of material. I really don't want this to be a science experiment. Looking for your thoughts or if someone has had the same issue... Any advice or if someone knows how to fix this issue so I could get the correct slack again.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:35 AM

This goes against all logic, as cables fatigue they stretch causing more free play, as clutch plates wear they get thinner and cause more free play, have you dissasemmbled the clutch and perhaps not put something back together correctly?

Cant give any suggestions why you don't have enough free play unless something has been put back incorrectly.
Hope you find the cause.

Gary
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply but let me clarify. The old cable had stretched and I replaced it. The new one was slightly shorter but replacing the old cable did not yield the results I was expecting. I managed to get a few turns at the fine adjuster at the lever (which I'll probably lose once the new cable breaks in and stretches out). The coarse adjuster (at the clutch cover) is still threaded out to the maximum. The clutch has never been apart either.

I initially thought it was the clutch pack wearing too and it could be - I just don't know. Clutch has never slipped. I don't want to replace the clutch pack and have it do nothing which is why I'm looking for help! If it can't be anything else then that's good. The clutch pack is a friction material so it "wearing away" after time makes sense. But talking with my buddy he made some points that kind of led me astray and I want to get a clear picture before taking anything apart. Could be right or wrong. But long story short is can the clutch pack wear away to the point of affecting the cable slack that much? i.e. the entire length of adjustment on the coarse and fine adjusters? Seems like over an inch. When the clutch pack loses material, how does it affect the cable? Does the pack "move" towards the engine or outwards and "push" against the cable? Just trying to get a mental picture of how things work! I hope I'm making sense lol

For example, I can see how as brake pads wear that the fluid level would go down. Same point he made. As the clutch pack wears, would it not "move" towards the engine and "pull" on the cable? If the slack increases, why?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:21 PM

As a sanity check: on my 2014 CB500F, the threaded portion of the cable (at the clutch end) is exposed almost evenly on each side of mounting bracket hole that it passes through. The side nearest the cable end has one less visible thread. Are you sure your adjustment here is not causing your problem?

The bracket itself has an alignment hole for a pin cast into the engine cover. Pin shows in the hole.

At 9K miles I don't think that end of the cable has ever been adjusted.

Looking down from the seat at the right footpeg with the handlebar lever released, the rear edge of the clutch actuation lever is nearly aligned with the rear edge of the raised cast area it sits above. this alignment depends a bit on where you like to set the clutch engagement point of the handlebar lever. I like it to occur with the handlebar lever most of the way released.

2014 CB500F: GSXR600 rear shock, Traxxion fork emulators+springs, Kuryakyn Throttle Boss, IDEA Gear Indicator, Slipstreamer S-06 windscreen, SW-Motech handlebar risers, LED tail light, rubber tank side pads.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:53 PM
eds

Garage
The clutch friction plates gradually wears off; that is why the clutch free play needs to be regularly tighten; and probably why the engine oil gets dirty rather quickly.

"can the clutch pack wear away to the point of affecting the cable slack that much?" Absolutely.
You can see the clutch pack (and friction plates) if you remove the oil cover.

I will also be running out of "adjustment" in the near future; now at 20,000 miles.
I suspect that is a sign that a new set of clutch friction plates is required. Also, the clutch pack springs may (possibly) reach a limit as well.

Last edited by eds; 05-22-2019 at 03:26 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:24 PM

I think I am running out of adjustment at Handle Bar (CB500X with 60,000 miles).

I have not looked at the other end (figured I would when I run out of adjustment).

BTW, my preference is to have the clutch take hold with very little movement of the lever (in other words I have to have the lever pretty tight against the grip to not be engaged).

This topic is making me "WORRY" that I might not be able to function for much longer.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aws97 View Post
Thanks for the reply but let me clarify. The old cable had stretched and I replaced it. The new one was slightly shorter but replacing the old cable did not yield the results I was expecting. I managed to get a few turns at the fine adjuster at the lever (which I'll probably lose once the new cable breaks in and stretches out). The coarse adjuster (at the clutch cover) is still threaded out to the maximum. The clutch has never been apart either.

I initially thought it was the clutch pack wearing too and it could be - I just don't know. Clutch has never slipped. I don't want to replace the clutch pack and have it do nothing which is why I'm looking for help! If it can't be anything else then that's good. The clutch pack is a friction material so it "wearing away" after time makes sense. But talking with my buddy he made some points that kind of led me astray and I want to get a clear picture before taking anything apart. Could be right or wrong. But long story short is can the clutch pack wear away to the point of affecting the cable slack that much? i.e. the entire length of adjustment on the coarse and fine adjusters? Seems like over an inch. When the clutch pack loses material, how does it affect the cable? Does the pack "move" towards the engine or outwards and "push" against the cable? Just trying to get a mental picture of how things work! I hope I'm making sense lol

For example, I can see how as brake pads wear that the fluid level would go down. Same point he made. As the clutch pack wears, would it not "move" towards the engine and "pull" on the cable? If the slack increases, why?
I've heard of one or two bike which had the sliding bush/linear bearing of the clutch actuator arm drop out of place in the clutch cover. This caused the arm to move radially in its place making the mechanism out of alignment and the clutch nit to release at normal lengths of the cable.
I suggest to make a photo of the actuator arm and it's area of location on top of the clutch cover and post it up here.
This way the arm angle and it's location within the dust seal/hole can be checked and compared to others. If the arm is at a normal acceptable angle, the issue is most likely the length of the cable. If the arm is misaligned somehow it's either clutch wear or mechanical failure.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys

Thanks for the input. Something is wearing as the cable adjustments have been gradual. I took a couple of pictures, see attached. I know I'm going to have to take off the cover and adjust or replace some parts inside the clutch but I want to make sure I replace the correct parts and only do it once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arm1.jpg (145.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Arm2.jpg (209.1 KB, 26 views)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:52 PM
eds

Garage
Running Out of Clutch Adjustment

Looks like it can be tighten/adjust a little more, as long as the locking nut still work (to lock it in place).
The angle looks a little more than mine, but i've still got "full adjustment" at the handle bar.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:17 AM

OK I'm not getting it I guess.
WHY did you wear out a cable at 30,000 miles is the first question.
But the real question if I reading your post right is -
Your cable got old stretched out, lots of free play, then the new one would have less free play, BUT since you said the new one you got had a much shorter length, you now have even less free play or none at all - right?

SO why are you blaming the clutch pack??
I'm hearing cable problem!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page