Hard start in neutral unless clutch in - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Hard start in neutral unless clutch in

Hi everyone. Im getting hard starts in neutral unless i pull the clutch in. It cranks but wont start. As soon as i pull the clutch in, boom. It used tonstart 1st time everytime until a few months ago. Ive checked clutch cable, its adjusted well. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 03:54 PM

Garage
The bike probably thinks it’s in gear. Is the neutral light working ok?

My worst fear about dying is my wife selling all my stuff for what I told her it cost...
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Yes. I even checked the neutral switch. If it was the nuetral switch it wouldnt crank over. It trys to start, then starts with clutch in. Im thinking something internal

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 09:58 PM

What year is the bike? How old is the battery? Do you keep it on a trickle charger?

2013 CBR500R - probably up for sale soon - OK, NOT!
2006 GSX-R 750 - track only
1984 CB700SC - hopefully running again soon, then maybe up for sale
2012 CBR250R - Sold!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix View Post
What year is the bike? How old is the battery? Do you keep it on a trickle charger?
You’re right, if it’s cranking then it’s not the neutral switch. Does it crank at full speed with the clutch out? It might be battery related as Natrix suggests, with one sensor parameter out of limit for the ECU, that comes into range with the marginally lower drag of pulling the clutch in.

Try disconnecting the clutch switch, and see if the problem is linked to the mechanical action of disengaging the clutch, or to the action of making/braking the electrical circuit with the switch.

My worst fear about dying is my wife selling all my stuff for what I told her it cost...
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Ive done the new battery and have a trickle charger
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix View Post
You’re right, if it’s cranking then it’s not the neutral switch. Does it crank at full speed with the clutch out? It might be battery related as Natrix suggests, with one sensor parameter out of limit for the ECU, that comes into range with the marginally lower drag of pulling the clutch in.

Try disconnecting the clutch switch, and see if the problem is linked to the mechanical action of disengaging the clutch, or to the action of making/braking the electrical circuit with the switch.
So are you saying if i disconnect the clutch switch, and it starts first time, its the clutch switch? If i disconnect the clutch switch, and it still hard starts (cranks but doesnt start) its mechanical ie something wong internally
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:19 AM

What has your oil change regimen been? How fresh and full is the oil now? Have you been using quality oil filters?
Seems like a matter of excess drag in the transmission. If the bike is otherwise running and riding well, I wouldnt worry too much. Id change the oil with a good quality oil, maybe even synth, ride it a bit (a good 75 to 200 miles within two days), then change the oil again. Use 30 weight if you can. See how that goes.
Alternatively, it could be the starter or the electrical contacts to it. Id clean those up, too.

2013 CBR500R - probably up for sale soon - OK, NOT!
2006 GSX-R 750 - track only
1984 CB700SC - hopefully running again soon, then maybe up for sale
2012 CBR250R - Sold!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

I just did an oil change with full synth. The bike runs a dream. Just hard starts unless i pull the clutch in. If i unplug the switch, i have to arc the 2 connectors to isolate the switch yeh? Then start it.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM

Garage
You can try it two different ways. Probably the easiest is to disconnect the clutch cable first, so you can actuate the switch in the lever without actually doing anything mechanical with the clutch. If the engine starts with the lever in but not out, then the issue is to do with the wiring somewhere. If it makes no difference, then try using a wrench directly on the clutch lever on the engine; if that makes a difference then the issue is mechanical.

I don’t see how oil viscosity could make a difference here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page