US running lights on non-US model - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By tothezenith
  • 1 Post By tothezenith
  • 1 Post By tothezenith
  • 1 Post By tothezenith

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
US running lights on non-US model

Can't find any posts with success on this topic, but I've done some poking around on the bike and believe I may have found how to get this functioning; however I need one of our USA brothers to confirm my suspicion.

The wiring loom is definitely different for the various regions, though some sections remain identical.
The front sub-wire harness with the indicators, headlights, etc are the same, in that the 3-pin to the indicators is present through to where it connects to the main loom.
Looking at the wiring diagram compared to what actually exists however, I believe the US market left switch assembly has a 6-pin indicator switch of which has two wires needed to make things work.
The main loom assembly is also missing these wires between the junction where the switch assembly connects and where the front sub-wire harness connects. There is a third White/Red wire too, but that isn't required for just running lights; It provides power via the hazard switch, another US region function, but my bike doesn't have the wires for that and so that function isn't a thing anyway.

As for the running lights however, I believe it may just be a case of obtaining the switch assembly from the US and bridging the lightblue/black and orange/black wires to the corresponding coloured wires that exists in the front sub-wire harness.

Can someone in the US confirm if their bike does indeed have an orange/black wire and a lightblue/black wire at the connector coming from the left switch assembly?

Below post is my bike currently.

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
For non-US regions, at least Australian model anyway, it appears the main loom is missing the wires that run between the front sub-wire harness and the left switch assembly.

front sub-wire harness 12P (black) connector
note the orange/black wire and lightblue/black wire 2nd and 3rd from the right.

The connector for above from the main loom.
note the missing pins corresponding to the wires in question.

Left handlebar switch 14P (green) connector from main loom
I suspect the US market connector also has orange/black, lightblue/black, and white/red wires here.

The indicator switch in the left hand switch assembly.
There may be pins in there to solder wire to, but it's just too **** finicky to do that than to just buy the different region assembly that is pretty cheap anyway.

The relevant part of the wiring diagram just to aid in analysis
OldRocker likes this.

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone?
American brothers, can someone there confirm if their left switch assembly harness that plugs into the main loom, also has an orange/black, lightblue/black, and white/red wire?

It's at the front left of the bike uber the fairing, clipped to the frame with a big rubber cover over it.
airhead83 likes this.

What makes

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Getting closer... Switch passed customs and should arrive in a few days. In the meantime, met up with my Grom buddies and realised those bikes came to Oz with the US running lights as standard. As we share the same switch assemblies, I could have saved a bit of time and postage expense if I'd just bought a Grom switch locally. Oh well, FYI for you guys at least 😉
airhead83 likes this.

What makes
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
All sorted, just forgot to put the post up the other week.
Quite a simple thing to get sorted once the correct switch was sourced. Basically the indicator switch for the models with running lights is a two-pole throw switch with associated wires. All that's required is adding three wires to fill in where they are lacking in the main loom, namely from the switch assembly plug across to the front sub-wire harness and a power line.

The left and right running lights are colour coded so just a matter of wiring up an orange/black wire and a lightblue/blue from one plug to the other; for this I just used 15cm of speaker wire tinned on one end that slotted into the plug for the switch assembly, and on the other end I soldered sewing needles (tip nibbed off) and stuffed them into the plug for the front sub-wire harness.

The power line to the red/white of the switch assembly plug I sourced from my existing power for USB, so you'll need to source something for that.

pluggy-plug, clickety-click and bada-bing got running lights

OldRocker likes this.

What makes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page