Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Side Stand Wiring

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  GlenAnderson 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am about to strip my 2014 R down to fit in a GPS tracker. I am hoping someone knows where the side stand switch wire ends up so I don't have to run a new wire all the way to the switch. I would prefer to tap it at the top & keep the looms as original as possible. It must be somewhere up top right?
Apoligies if this has come up before, I couldn't find anything in searches.

#2 ·
The side stand switch wire goes to the ECM (computer) and it is used together with the Neutral switch voltage (and other switch/sensors) by the ECM to determine a set of conditions (e.g. one of which is whether to allow ignition during starting - separate to the ability to crank the starter motor; and etc.). I would not tap power from it.

#5 ·
It depends how the circuit is configured, and whether the switch itself is directly wired in to the ignition circuit, or whether it's function is through the ECU. If it's wired through the ECU then you may well find that the presence of your tracker alters the input to the ECU enough to make the bike think it has a fault.

Personally, I'd wire the tracker's alert function in to a mercury tilt switch, and keep the entire circuit separate from the bike's loom other than where it gets its power from the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.