Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Gear shift indicator / display

20K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  imranh101 
#1 ·
So I'm wanting to get a gear shift indicator / display for my 2017 CBR500RA and was wondering if anyone has one, and if so which one did they get on how was the installation process? I want to keep the bike quiet (famous last words) as I've had loud bikes all life so would be nice to be able to see what gear I'm in

#7 ·
Ive been riding too many years to remember, and on this bike, I always try and put it in 7th.
I think the gearing is a little to close on 5th and 6th. If I remember right, its around 500 rpm.
In order to have half a chance, you need to what revs at what speed, and unless you systematically
change at the exact speed, you would have to have a great understanding or memory of the ratios.
Incidentally, I don't use one, but I defiantly think it is worth while.

#4 ·
I think a gear position indicator is a worthwhile addition. I think the option considered as 'best' is the HealTech. There is also a cheap one for about $30 - 50.00 but it gets mixed reviews. There is moderate debate about the need for this thing, but there is a thread or two around, so search for that.

It won't stop you from wishing for a 7th gear, however.

Attachments

#9 ·
Same here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Here is the thing about Gear indicator - correct me if I am wrong but they do not work with the clutch engaged(?). The only time I perhaps need to know what gear I am in is if I am sat at traffic light and suddenly think.... did I stop in first or second??? But that is the only time they don't work.

Like I say, I *think* that is correct???? Unless a different version does show current gear with clutch engaged?

#13 ·
I bought a gear indicator for my N1K...and I LOVE it....all the people that say you won't need it after you've ridden the bike for a while....they are mostly correct...but it's still nice
not sure if the CBR500R has it, but my N1K had a diagnostic port that the indicator plugged in to....made it a VERY easy install....the gear will stay in whatever gear you were in last until you ease out the clutch...or when you hit neutral....

I've heard the magnet indicators are horrible and unreliable....

also...I went with red....the only green I want shining at me is neutral...and red is more night-vision friendly.....
also read that the red is easier to see in daylight...

#15 ·
I'm mentally counting the number of shifts up and down, shifting all the way down to 1st at the light stops.
on the highway you'll know exactly what gear you're in by looking at the speedo & rev counter display.
indicator is a convenience but not necessarily mandatory.

#23 ·
I picked up one of these (same brand) for my CBR500R and it works great.
- Link got omitted due to post count, if you search "IDEA Waterproof Motorcycle Gear Indicator for Honda" on Amazon it should be the first result -

Only shows gear if your clutch is all the way out, but if you're cruising for a while and forget which gear you were in it's nice.

Note, the one I linked appears to have a different connector than the one I bought but according to Amazon that is the one I purchased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.