ECU Flash - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNerd View Post
I'm interested if you can get things sorted out. As far as you know what can be altered? IAP and TPS maps? What about ignition timing and rev limiter?

And more importantly how long would it take or would you create a new map and install it on the ECU? Let me know how things work out and I may get my hands on a used ecu and send it to you. I found their not that expensive.
There are generally 2 types of tunables in the ECU, maps and settings. All of the maps are super easy to identify, they start midway through the file and are one after another. At the very least there will be IAP and TPS fuel maps, and ignition timing map, maybe injector balance map. The settings are the things like speed limiters, disabling fuel cut off on decel, etc, these are harder to find as they require the ability the disassemble the bin and follow assembly code around to reverse engineer. This is the part that I am still learning to do myself. Creating a definition file that exposes all the maps will only take a few hours. I have no idea how long it will take me to learn how to create the settings patches. The flashing process itself only takes 40 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 10:26 AM

So just some updates. I got my Python code doing successful writes and I can do the writes about 8x faster than anticipated. Flashing only takes about 5 min. The read is still pretty slow. Anyway, I started porting my Python code over to C++ so I could make windows binaries and in the process screwed up the flash on my last good test ECU. So, now I have to work out the back door recovery process via the test pads. With that being said, I could use more test ECUs and if anyone wants to buy a used 500r ECU on ebay and have it shipped to my house that would help me resume finishing up the new code base as well as start creating a definition file for these ECUs.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 04:47 AM

Great work, thanks for the heads up - it is great to see that you're progressing with this.

I'm currently using a Power Commander V and and a WB2, and would look for the possibility to remove both and run the stock ecu only.
So for me the important features would be fuel and ignition mapping, extended rev limiter, possibility to run 13.8 AFR in closed loop instead of 14.7, reduced throttle jerk by modified fuel cutoff. Modification of radiator fan temp and fual injector balancing could be beneficial for some too.

PM me your postal address, and I'll look into getting a cbr or CB500x ecu to you.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:12 AM

@PuffTheMagic Any update on this project?
Also if someone does does not have the tools or time to build an interface, woukd it be possible to wire up a 16pin standard OBD connector ti the honda dlc and use a commercially available obd2 programming interface?
Why I'm asking is on an another forum someone reported ro be able to use this dlc to obd2 connector (https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Honda-4pin-OBD2-Adaptor) with an elm327 to read real time diagnostic data such as rpm, temperatures etc. on a "secondary dashboard" made with a torque app running on an android phone.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
@PuffTheMagic Any update on this project?
Also if someone does does not have the tools or time to build an interface, woukd it be possible to wire up a 16pin standard OBD connector ti the honda dlc and use a commercially available obd2 programming interface?
Why I'm asking is on an another forum someone reported ro be able to use this dlc to obd2 connector (https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Honda-4pin-OBD2-Adaptor) with an elm327 to read real time diagnostic data such as rpm, temperatures etc. on a "secondary dashboard" made with a torque app running on an android phone.
Here are some updates... I am fairly confident in the stability of my reading/writing software. I gave up on a C++ port because the code was so slow compared to my Python code (so many optimizations in Python). Anyway, I have Appveyor automatically generating windows .exe builds out of my Python code now. Once I tag a commit as an official release the build will get uploaded to the releases section of my github page. If you are testing this on Windows, with either the binary or the python code, you will need to use the libusbK driver which is installable via the Zadig app (google it). The program is still command line but it works well.

I've started officially doing mail-in tuning/flashing on the 1000rr and 600rr, here is a link my business page on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PuffTheMagicEngineering).

I still need someone to create the adapter on my page and dump their ECU or send me an ECU so I can start working on a definition file.

Last edited by PuffTheMagic; 09-07-2018 at 04:26 PM.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:53 PM

Made some progress on the CBR500R ECU definition. Exposed all the ignition and fuel maps!

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 04:47 PM

I will be following this as I suspect you may find some things that haven't been found. I will also be contacting the aforementioned Dynobike reflasher. I know he has done some work on my other bike(MT07) for people and has had positive results. I am in Australia otherwise I would see if I could help directly with your project.
I have a laptop in the workshop. I have an IT background, but not a lot of automotive electronics experience. If you can contact me ( I will pm you) with instructions I am able to do, I can do tthe dump for you. I am retired so have plenty of time. And some basic level electronics abilities and knoiwledge.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 11:57 AM

Good job with the definitions!

For the interfacing circuit I have been thinking of the cheap EBAY OBD adapters that use Bluetooth for communications to PC or smartphone. But because of the custom Honda protocol in the K-line it would require custom firmware to the adapter. There is some research done for that, for example (github pfalcon/blutunode) but building the FW is not so straightforward... The nice thing with this approach would be very low cost and ready made HW for interfacing the K-line.

I have made my own BLE adapter from 'Ruuvitag' and I also investigated how to use the cheapest possible BLE adapters. But these need custom interfacing to the K-line (which is not complicated though, but still extra work...).

Reference to my github project if somebody is interested (github atoid/DashBle).

However for the ECU flashing it might be best to stick with hard wiring, no wireless link involved
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 07:27 AM

Bluetooth is to be avoided for ecu flash management.

A simple WagCom cable what supports Kline comms and uses an FTDI inteface chip will work though.

Just received mine yesterday, and already got rhe flash content downloaded from both bikes o' mine (500f and 500x)

Still quite a bit to go until we'll have an usable flash, but so far it's promising
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:18 PM

Ok, that is good to hear that standard cable can be used. If ECU is flashed does it affect the HISS system? Do the keys need to be coded again or is it a separate system in the ECU?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page