Crash Helmets - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Crash Helmets

No the ones you wear when riding your bike.
So what crash lid do you have/wear.
I have Shark speed R full face, also a Shark flip front. Comfortable and both came with pinlock inserts to stop misting etc.

airhead83 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 05:38 AM

Arai all ways, have try'ed most makes ,but will only use Arai now,top hats.

Plasma1
airhead83 likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 08:42 AM

HJC Rhapa 11 Pro. I'm a big HJC fan and have had 3 others before. This is the most comfortable, quietest, and best made helmet I've worn. I'm sure there are other helmets out there that are equal or superior to this HJC. But this is the most expensive helmet I've owned and was a bit of a splurge for me to spend anything more than the "bare bones but still good and safe" on myself. That's partly because I'm cheap, but mostly because at my age, I don't even buy green bananas anymore. They're just as apt to outlast me.
OldRocker likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 08:48 AM

AGV K1

It was in my price range for starting out.
In the future Ill get an arai or another AGV
airhead83 likes this.

2014 CB500F White
16T counter sprocket
IXIL hyperlow slipon
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 09:55 AM

I "grew up" on Bell, so I have been faithful to them. However, my son handed down to me his helmet (as he quit riding). I forget the brand, but it feels very comfortable and I am sure passes all safety standards required.

IMO just about any well-known brand name has an adequate helmet.

I think the expensive ones just add some "bells & whistles" but not necessarily any more safety.
airhead83 likes this.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 06:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiedmontBuckeye View Post
I think the expensive ones just add some "bells & whistles" but not necessarily any more safety.
Absolutely, an example of this is shown in the SHARP ratings that the British government produces, where cheaper helmets have outscored much more expensive ones.

Part of the problem is that there is no objective definition of safe, so which helmet is the safest will depend on which tests you think most important.

The Snell Foundation's standards have been upheld as a marker of safety, particular in the U.S., but traditionally they have been incompatible with the U.N.'s ECE R22.05 standard, which is the legal requirement in almost all of Europe (including Russia) and accepted in many other countries around the world.

Snell required the ability to withstand a repeated impact, meaning a harder shell. The ECE favours a softer one so that it better dissipates the energy of an impact. So for any helmet it will be consider safe by one of those standards, and less safe by one of the others.

Any helmet that meets an appropriate legal standard is safe, after that the most important thing is that it fits properly and is in good condition.

When I was first started out riding I caught a patch of mud on a corner when I was wearing a cheap 35 helmet from discount supermarket chain Lidl that i had originally bought to have as a spare. I broke my elbow, but my head was fine. It was heavy and noisy, as reflected in the price, but it was safe.

I prefer system / flip helmets and used to wear a Caberg Duke which has a maximum five star SHARP ratings. But I did not think the ventilation was much good, and the field of view from the visor could have been better.

So when I replaced it I bought an HJC IS-MAX II, but it has just as many faults. Despite claiming to be especially designed for people who wear glasses, I have to take them off to put the helmet on, which was not the case with the Caberg, and it is longer so has to lay diagonally to fit in my top box.

The field of view is definitely much better but I am not sure the ventilation is any different. Both helmets had internal sun visors and came with a pinlock.

I am not sure what my next helmet will be, the other ones from recognized manufacturers in the same price range have lower SHARP ratings so it is likely to be one of those two again.

The HJC only has four stars from SHARP, but it has a 100% rate for the face guard remaining locked in their tests which is particularly reassuring. The Caberg was 87% so either of them is a compromise in one area.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/caberg-duke/
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/hjc-is-max-2/

Not everyone likes the SHARP ratings, in my experience a lot of those are people who have expensive helmets and do not like them not being the highest rated! But they have limited value as many models never get tested, and there is a delay after release for ones that are. I do not know how they pick which ones to rate, they literally just go out and buy them off the shelf.

But it is only a rating system and not a legal requirement, so it is good that the government just does any extra testing at all. More information is better than none.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 07:20 PM

Someone. Nice writeup. You just answered a puzzling question I had concerning the absence of a Snell rating in some of HJC's more expensive helmets, that currently sport the ECE R 22.05 certification. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Agree Someone, however you should always try before buy as everyones head is different. Hence I found the Shark best fit for me and have tried on many other makes but these ones fit me best, The flip front has R22.05 rating and the Speed R has ACU British Motorcycle Sport so can be used for racing. "Suits me Sir" as the saying goes.
PiedmontBuckeye and airhead83 like this.

Last edited by OldRocker; 11-24-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: updated
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 12:55 PM

The problem with buying a helmet is that you don't really know what it's like until you ride with it on, and that's hard to do. Even if a dealer would let you take it out of the shop, the protective film over most visors would be impossible to see through. My last helmet was a Shoei Quest, and it was comfortable and was obvious high quality build, but it turned out to leak some air around my ears and had a high-pitched whistle in one ear. My current Nolan cost less and came with a sun visor and pinlock equipped shield. It also came with a quick latch system instead of "D" rings, which I like a lot. Most importantly, it is relatively quiet, but that is probably because it fits so tight around my jaw that it is hard to take off. That tightness might have caused me to not buy it if I had had a chance to try it on, but I bought it online from a private party, and lucked out that it turned out so well.
airhead83 likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRider View Post
The problem with buying a helmet is that you don't really know what it's like until you ride with it on, and that's hard to do. Even if a dealer would let you take it out of the shop, the protective film over most visors would be impossible to see through. My last helmet was a Shoei Quest, and it was comfortable and was obvious high quality build, but it turned out to leak some air around my ears and had a high-pitched whistle in one ear. My current Nolan cost less and came with a sun visor and pinlock equipped shield. It also came with a quick latch system instead of "D" rings, which I like a lot. Most importantly, it is relatively quiet, but that is probably because it fits so tight around my jaw that it is hard to take off. That tightness might have caused me to not buy it if I had had a chance to try it on, but I bought it online from a private party, and lucked out that it turned out so well.
Agree you will only really find out when you give the bike some welly and keep within the speed limits. However unless you actually try it on first you will never know whether it fits comfortably. As I previously said most people have different shaped heads, what suit one doesn't necessary fit all.
PiedmontBuckeye likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page