Air filter upgrade... - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Air filter upgrade...

Which filter upgrade have you run and why? I see k&n have one but heard bad things? DNA? People are saying that their better than the k&n... aaand go!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIBBLE92 View Post
Which filter upgrade have you run and why? I see k&n have one but heard bad things? DNA? People are saying that their better than the k&n... aaand go!
Depends on what you're after.
Pwrformance is pretty much independent of filtering material on the 500. The main restriction are the small airbox entry and the air snorkel.
If you want the best filtering in a reusable filter, go for a sprint filter. They use a dry synthetic mesh, what is easy to clean and filters better than oiled gauze filters.
If you are after performance gain - go for an MWR street filter, and cut the airbox lid as per the instructions. The filter is a decent cleanable foam filter, but the main point is that filter base design allows cutting a larger entry on the airbox lid and thus bring better performance.
ADIOS600 and airhead83 like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 05:06 AM

Very informative thank you.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 06:27 AM

I all ways find the Honda one is better than most, and will do a good job.

Plasma1
bambams, GRIZZY and airhead83 like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma1 View Post
I all ways find the Honda one is better than most, and will do a good job.
Plasma1
Correct, the OEM filter is doing a good job in filtering - in that respect better than the oiled gauze filters. It is a bit more restrictive when close to its life, but still makes a good efficiency filtering.
Plasma1 and airhead83 like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:18 PM
PMB

Garage
I have DNA, wich is a Greece company. In their website they offer a specific CB500R/F (13-18) reusable air filter with this technical info:
"The filtering efficiency is extremely high at 98-99% filtering efficiency (ISO 5011), with 4 layers of DNA Cotton. The flow of this DNA filter is high, 35.00% more than the Honda stock paper filter. DNA filter air flow: 73.00 CFM (Cubic feet per minute) @1,5"H2O corrected @ 25degrees Celsius. Honda stock paper filter air flow : 54.10 CFM (Cubic feet per minute) @1,5"H2O corrected @ 25degrees Celsius".
I`ve also read elsewhere that it offers better specs than K&N although their desing are similar (cylyndrical in both cases). As @Oyabun and @tothezenith among others that have upgraded their bikes in the search of HP, the use of a U shaped reusable unit like the Sprint and MWR, that allows for a bigger rectangle shaped hole for better air Flow wich seems to be the way to go for gain purpose.
I didn't tried this way because I didn't know the MWR ones, and I though that being living in spain and having the restricted Euro air funnels, just replacing this ones with the cheap OEM US non-restricted that I could easily get by my sister who lives in ilinois, and the fact that we would meet in spain in a couple months later, somehow I just went with the DNA for a reusable-higher performance compromise practical upgrade solution. Honestly I can't say I have noticed a gain increase feeling, and haven't dyno the bike, but that's what I've done for a air filter replacement.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:14 PM

At 10,000 miles I switched from the OEM to a K&N, and cleaned and re-oiled it at 50,000 miles. I have used K&Ns before and think they are a fine filter. I put 115,000 miles on a Ninja 650 using mostly a K&N filter and the bike did not smoke or use oil when I sold it.
ADIOS600 likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 09:01 PM

Garage
We are making a street legal air filter that is basically the same as running an open airbox. We are going to have dyno test results soon, but combined with our velocity stacks we are anticipating around +4 hp on a stock engine.

2017 Sponsors - Honda Powersports, Pirelli Tires, Galfer Brakes, Race Tech Suspension, Vortex Racing, Racer Gloves, Sol Performance, Quik Cycles, BloodNickle Leathers
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:06 PM

Garage
I put a K&N filter in my Ford Ranger pickup, and I would say if anything I'm disappointed in it. For the money it certainly didn't improve performance, and my intuition says that it hinders it if anything. In the future, I'll stick to OEM filters. And if that was my experience in a much larger engine I imagine there's even less to write home about for the 500. My advice would be save your money and stick to the OEM replacement.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MraRacer#934 View Post
We are making a street legal air filter that is basically the same as running an open airbox. We are going to have dyno test results soon, but combined with our velocity stacks we are anticipating around +4 hp on a stock engine.
That +4HP is pretty substantial on a 50HP factory engine. With that much increase, do expect the "stock engine" will need an ECU controller added to adjust the bike's air/fuel system, to run properly and more efficiently? Or have you already answered my question as "no", by stating it's a street legal air filter?

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon

Last edited by airhead83; 11-02-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page