Preparing for Hurricane Dorian in Newfoundland... - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By JCarrithers
  • 1 Post By Plasma1
  • 2 Post By camperbc
  • 1 Post By camperbc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Location: beautiful Fogo Island, a one hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland
Garage
Preparing for Hurricane Dorian in Newfoundland...

We are supposed to get hit by Dorian by tomorrow morning. As we were unsuccessful in finding someone to build us a new shed this summer, we currently have no place to store the bikes... so they must weather the storm! I just got back in from trying to make a safe spot for them, and here's what I came up with. As you can see, I have the Honda right up tight against the back wall, with the V-Star parked tightly against it, with a garbage bin filled with rocks (~300 lbs) up against the V-Star. (I have all the wheels chocked with rocks) The bikes are positioned so that about the only wind that can hit them really hard would be coming directly from the east, (and that's not supposed to be the case tomorrow) so hopefully they will be OK.

The bigger concern when we have hurricanes/tropical storms here on Fogo Island, is that where we are positioned on the northeast coast of Newfoundland is about the worst anywhere for ridiculously strong coastal winds, (our house sits only about 75 ft from edge the North Atlantic) and being a 150+ year-old, two-storey house, we always have to wonder just how much punishment it can tolerate before it disintegrates! The year that Hurricane Igor paid us a visit, our house was actually vibrating/rocking as if we were having a major earthquake! And the upstairs was 10x worse... there's no sleeping up there during a hurricane! We have witnessed our coffee table slowly vibrate its way clear across the living room floor, and have also watched our front deck completely lift clear off the ground. Even after living here for years, through a few hurricanes, several tropical storms, and countless 150+ km/h blizzards, you never do get used to it!

But I suppose I might be worrying for nothing, as our humble old abode has somehow managed to stay intact through winds of 175+ km/h, (last year) and we didn't lose so much as a shingle or a piece of siding, when most of our neighbours' homes had unfortunately suffered heavy damage. (though during our last bad storm, the wind actually stripped the paint right off our eaves!)

I will try to report in again tomorrow, but if you don't hear back from me don't be too alarmed... it likely will just mean that our electricity/internet is out. (and there is no cell service here)

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

2014 HONDA CB500FA
CB300F mirrors
R&G "aero" frame sliders
The2Wheels adjustable levers
SupaBrake-II brake light modulator
SJCAM SJ4000 camera
Cortech Super 2.0 tail bag
Taylor33 rim tape
Grip Puppies
CNC kickstand foot
thermometer
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:50 PM

Garage
The house surviving last year would make me more worried for cumulative effects, but hopefully you are right and it it can (literally) just shake it off.

Good luck to your bikes, house, and yourselves.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:52 PM

We are getting it right now-glad I put my bike in storage.Upgraded to cat 2,most have no power but mine is still on for now.The eye is supposed to go over my town around 7pm.

1975 Honda Z50
1979 Honda XR80
1980 Kawasaki KX80
1987 Kaw KX125
1991 Honda CR250
1975 Kaw KH 250
1976 Kaw KH 500
2013 Honda CBR 500R

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Location: beautiful Fogo Island, a one hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland
Garage
Now they're calling for "sustained" winds of 117km/h, and history tells us that right here on the coast we can expect our gusts to be 35-50 km/h above the sustained winds... so in the neighbourhood of 152-167 km/h. (Yikes!) This should get interesting pretty quickly!

Glen

2014 HONDA CB500FA
CB300F mirrors
R&G "aero" frame sliders
SJCAM SJ4000 camera
Taylor33 rim tape
Grip Puppies
CNC kickstand foot
thermometer
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:57 PM

We were fortunate down here in south Florida and just missed a major catastrophe. Good luck Glen. I hope all fairs well. Once you have power give us an update.
bambams likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:33 AM

The very best of luck,hope you are ok.

Plasma1
bambams likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well it turns out that we survived Dorian just fine. It veered off to the west of us, so aside from some downed branches, there was little storm damage around our place, thank goodness!! We got off lucky!

Glen
bambams and airhead83 like this.

2014 HONDA CB500FA
CB300F mirrors
R&G "aero" frame sliders
SJCAM SJ4000 camera
Taylor33 rim tape
Grip Puppies
CNC kickstand foot
thermometer
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, our winds maxed out this time at about 115 km/h. We've experienced much worse than this on many occasions since moving to Fogo Island in 2007. And our worst storms aren't usually even during the hurricane season, but in the winter months. Last year we saw winds on Fogo Island reach a whopping 178 km/h, (111 mph) which would be classed as a "Category 3" hurricane had it happened during the hurricane season... but because it was in March, it was just a late-winter storm! (I know, it's kinda silly) Anyway, this time our power and internet stayed on throughout the storm, and aside from a few branches coming off our trees, Dorian was only an inconvenience for us, so we got really lucky this time, when so many others, here in Canada as well as in the USA and elsewhere, have experienced quite a terrible ordeal indeed.

Glen
bambams likes this.

2014 HONDA CB500FA
CB300F mirrors
R&G "aero" frame sliders
SJCAM SJ4000 camera
Taylor33 rim tape
Grip Puppies
CNC kickstand foot
thermometer
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:03 PM

Garage
Glad to hear you're safe and no serious damage was done to your property. I wondered how you were going to fare.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page