New owner and new rider. Recommendations for mods - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By Sicong Chen
  • 1 Post By PiedmontBuckeye
  • 2 Post By ExTex
  • 2 Post By bambams
  • 2 Post By motohonace
  • 1 Post By JCarrithers
  • 2 Post By Thrasherg

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

New owner and new rider. Recommendations for mods

Hello, guys, I recently got my endorsement and bought myself a 2014 CBR500R. It feels great to find a forum like this. Commuted on the bike a few times already. So far the bike is really wonderful. The fuel cap coming right off the bike is a bit of surprise.
I am looking for recommendations of mods that can help improve ridding experiences. Basically anything that has improved your ridding experiences significantly. Thank you!

bambams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:41 AM

Depends on your riding preferences, but here is what I did:

Got 16T front sprocket
windshield - the little Puig's look good, but don't do much. I went to a larger more traditional style
lower front fender extender to keep dirt and debris out of radiator
did a mod to radiator - based on a thread on here where a person had a wonderful suggestion. Buy some gutter screen (from Lowes, etc.) and some edging protectors from Auto Zone and make up a protector screen to keep any rocks or stones from damaging the radiator.

Personally, I added about 2" of padding to the top of the seat (can be removed to get bike back to stock). Looks ugly, but feels better.

Only other think I REALLY recommend (for old geezers like me) is to get upgraded "X" handlebars and control cables. They raise handlebar height 3" and believe me that helps!
bambams likes this.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:07 PM

Garage
Welcome.
Where are you located ? Put the area in your user CP.
There may be another forum member near you.

I agree on the 16T drive sprocket and also recommend a center stand. It helps with chain & rear wheel maintenance.
The other mods are more for "show".

I do NOT recommend engine guards. They magnified my engine vibrations so much I removed them.

I do like a luggage rack to hold my tail bag.

Ride safely,
bambams and Plasma1 like this.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650

Last edited by ExTex; 09-03-2019 at 02:26 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:40 PM

Garage
I don't really recommend it for a beginner (in my first year I was still narrowing avoiding death by target fixation so I can't imagine a locked throttle will make that any better), but a throttle lock is a godsend. It's not really a mod per se, but it's super useful. Something like the Go Cruise 2 is sufficient. Works well without breaking the bank. That's only really useful if you spend a lot of time on the highway or at least constant speeds with few hazards and good visibility.

I agree that a windscreen upgrade will help with the ride, but it comes at the cost of looks/style. At my age, I don't care, but before you upgrade make sure it's what you want. I haven't upgraded yet, but I'd like to. Unless you get a super tall windscreen it won't help much so make sure you research the reason for upgrading. It's predominantly to reduce the wind turbulence and noise for the rider.

I also second the center stand. I haven't gotten one yet because money is tight, but I do recommend one. I wish I had one now.

Skip on the exhaust in my opinion. None of them actually sound great, and the stock can is already too loud when the revs are up. And they won't improve performance. At best, it'll stay the same, and at worst it'll slightly hinder performance.

I recommend you avoid cosmetic mods that hinder your safety. Integrated turn signals look flashy, but are more difficult for traffic to see. The name of the game is safety. Be seen and drive defensively. That said, if your bike is dark (e.g., black) or your gear isn't bright you might want to consider some extra reflective tape or something to help with being seen, or wear a hi-viz vest over your gear. Which I suggest you wear all the time: All The Gear All The Time.

The seat is definitely rough. I have an airhawk cushion, but I don't find that it helps much, and it's awkward to put on and adjust regularly. It's a lot easier to leave it behind and live with a sore bottom unless you're going on a longer ride (>2 hours). I'm too cheap to indulge the aftermarket seat replacement options.

The gas cap is silly, but honestly it doesn't come up very often. The bike gets good mileage. For the 2 minutes you have the cap off it's easy enough to just set it down on the base next to the pump. I haven't tried any aftermarket caps, but I recall some of them have issues so do your research before you buy.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:34 PM

Location: I live in Hamilton Hill a suburb of Fremantle, the port for Perth Western Australia.
Shorty levers, givi rack, 16tooth, puig screen, phone holder charger($20 x ram lookalike), 52lt pod for rack, tank bag, mussari exhaust.
Only went puig screen because I cracked the stock one with a screen extension. Is better than original but still wouldn’t recommend (cbr500r).
16 tooth is great
Phone holder fantastic
Shorties because dropped bike and broke lever.
Rack is common sense and love the 52 when I need it.
Exhaust held out for a long time with original. The plus with the after market is I can now hear the revs for gear changes. I wear ear plugs and balaclava plus neck tube stuffed into chin space of helmet all to cut down wind noise which I find the absolute worst feature of the bike. Went from a 250 virago with a big screen and couldn’t believe the wind noise.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:09 AM

I have small hands with a corresponding short reach, so I modified with adjustable levers. I also substituted a carbon fiber Leo Vince for the significantly heavier stock exhaust. Frame sliders were a must when I took my CBR500r to the track (more for my piece of mind than anything else). I have not picked up a center stand yet, but did add T-Rex Racing swingarm spools to assist with maintenance and such. In order to somewhat protect the tank paint from my gear, I added a stick-on tank guard. Those are my modifications thus far; YMMV.

Glad to hear you're having fun with your new bike. Ride safe!

It's not a big motorcycle, just a groovy little motorbike.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:44 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
My 2016 500F is pretty much stock. I would say #1 mod is center stand, then front fender extender & rear tire hugger followed by radiator guard. The seat, levers & handlebars are fine stock in my opinion (we are all different physically). Keep the stock can, I like how quiet the bike is. This bike is wonderful for the real world generally & is no super sport machine. Donít try to pretend otherwise. Less is more. Ride it for awhile to know what you really need. A lot of folks like the extra tooth (16) & I may do that when I change out the chain.
Plasma1 and airhead83 like this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:24 PM

I have done all the bolt-ons and will do the Oyabun heads and cams when time comes to do the valve adjustment. I would suggest you first ride it a bit to figure out what you like and donít like about the bike and start there. If I were to start all over again, my first mods would be the suspension. Front and rear suspension made the largest noticeable differences for me.
Plasma1 likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:33 AM

Great suggestions from other inmates.
Depends on your preference I guess. I myself don't care much about appearance, but as an engineer, I value sophisticated tech. So I'd go for suspension and brakes first.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:46 PM

I would suggest an advanced rider training program, that will improve your riding far more than any extra bolt on gadget, will allow you to enjoy the bike more and might even give you an insurance discount (saving money). It doesn't have to be a track day, but learning from others is a great way to improve and far less painful than making the mistakes that they did to gain the experience!! Its really cheating, but very worthwhile.

Gary
bambams and motohonace like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page