Ignition barrel failure - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ignition barrel failure

My dad is in hospital so I rode to his house (a 250 mile journey) to pick something up, then to the hospital (30 miles) all with no problem. But when I got back on the bike the key would not turn, though after much giving up and then one last try, it turned.

Foolishly I decided to stop at a supermarket on the way back and this time nothing would get it turning. Luckily I have a recovery service, but they could not fix it, and so then had to wait on a recovery truck. In hindsight I should have have it recovered home to London, but instead got us taken to my parent's house. Getting it on and off the truck with the steering locked was quite a thing!

The mechanic though said the problem was some of the pins in the barrel were stuck, which is what was stopping the key from turning. He tried lube and working them individually with a screwdriver down the barrel but to no avail. Last night I sprayed a ton of WD40 down there, it could not make things worse, but this morning it still will not turn.

So, how do I get this fixed? Can the lock be taken apart and cleaned or does the whole barrel need replacing?

And as the bike has the H.I.S.S. immobilizer, does that mean only Honda can fix it?

My sister is visiting today so she will help me get back home. Then I will need to schedule someone local to here then come back up from London to get it fixed. So I need to know who I can call (Honda or independent) and what to tell them so I can get it all done at once rather than them needing multiple visits.

At least my taking out breakdown cover has not been a waste of money!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:04 AM

Phone an authorized Honda dealer and tell them what the lock is doing, and what you've already attempted to cure the problem. That will be enough info for them to decide what course of action you should take. The HISS immobilizer is Honda's answer to the auto industries "anti theft" control by placing a micro-chip in the OEM keys. So, as long as the original keys are present, a reputable locksmith should have no problems. And they'll be familiar with the technology. It may be you'll just need a new lockset. IMO, given the distance from home, I'd opt for a Honda Dealer, and just accept the higher cost.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 11:05 AM

There are at least two other people here who have reported the same problem. Those threads might have something for you. Try the search function.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did try the search function, but unfortunately did not find anyone with the same problem. The only frozen lock was one literally frozen with ice!

airhead83, are you suggesting a locksmith should be able to fix the lock? The Honda dealer will definitely be the last resort if I cannot find any other solution as they should definitely be able to help. The call out will probably be expensive though, and it will probably meaning waiting until they schedule something. Which is why I hoped a local mobile mechanic would be an option.
airhead83 likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have looked up the OEM parts costs, 250 for the ignition switch assembly, and 300 for the full lock set with petrol cap and pillion seat lock.

With labour and call out a Honda dealer would probably charge over 500 for that, the nearest official one being 40 miles away.

As I know what the problem is I could ask a locksmith, though I am not sure if they would be able to do any more than we already tried, lubricating, shocking the mechanism, and raking the pins. It does not look like there is a way to access the pins other than through the key slot.

So probably it means finding a local mechanic to see if they could do something, or at least give a half decent quote for a replacement, then the last resort of bankruptcy!

I am sure there are plenty here who would happily bypass the ignition, but only after breaking the steering lock, and this is already going to be expensive enough!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:59 PM

I did a little searching and came up with some relevant results using the search terms lock, hiss, etc. I ran out of time looking for the specific posts I mentioned, but I thought I'd offer a thought. You could conceivably remove the stock ignition and replace with a non HISS one. It would require an ECM replacement, but you can find those for cheap on eBay. There is a how to for removing the barrel lock on here with good photos. Just a thought.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I did see the replacement thread, but it is all getting a bit "messy" now and I do not have the time for creative solutions when they bike is over 150 miles away and not having my own transport.

Having called around, maybe I was conservative with the Honda estimate as a nearer independent garage quoted over 500. Plus the part is not stocked so it is a back order item so will take up to ten days to arrive however I get it. All the online parts dealers list it the same.

Another garage, though, said they had a professional locksmith who had fixed the same problem on other bikes, so that seems worth a try, and if not they can still do the full replacement.

So I wonder how lucky I am? So far not very, my mam died a month ago, and then on Friday my dad was taken to hospital with a perforated bowel (the surgery went well). Which is why I need the bike to be able to visit him as it is my only transport, and never had car lessons.

Going up tomorrow so the bike can be collected on Wednesday morning, giving me the rest of the day to learn the local bus network and visit my dad. I did consider renting a bike, but then I saw the costs which start at 65 for a CB125F.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:09 AM

Very sorry to hear your misfortune, I'm sure it will turn better soon.
As for the ignition barrel. Hope that that locksmith will work his magic on the lock barrel. There's always an option to change the whole barrel - even with a cheap non hiss version - as the hiss receiver is separate from the ignition switch and can be reused. Mine has failed also, and i have a different barrel than the rest, so I use two keys at the moment - one for the ignition lock and one for the fuel tank and underseat storage.
Edit: just checked, Partzilla lists ignition barrel (showing two keys also) for 92.73 usd +shipping, so in case you can get a temporary solution to keep riding those could be ordered and used on your bike. (hiss transponder in old key, new key in the ignition barrel)

Last edited by Oyabun; 09-02-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks.

From other threads and elsewhere I read it sounded as though the barrel was somehow connected to the immobilizer, so a plain one would not work. Comparing parts catalogues, it seems that are two versions of that part, one for U.S., California, and Canada models and the other for all other models.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/hon...ts/35100MJWA01
https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/hon...ts/35100MJWD12

There is quite a difference in prices between the U.S. and U.K. even where they are the same, so importing would be quite a saving even after shipping and taxes.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts...pipetop-bridge
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...bar-top-bridge

But if you are using the north American part on a H.I.S.S. model then obviously they must be compatible.

I will let the mechanic and his locksmith see what they can do. It is annoying it will take all of this just for what is probably a rusty spring. But if they cannot fix it I will double check with them about getting a different part, as they are not an official dealer they should be able to do that.

Even a cheap Chinese one from eBay will work as a short term solution, and you can get a U.K. sourced set for under 30. Though presumably with an O.E.M. lock the key design will be the same for the different territories, so a blank one with a chip could be cut to match the new key, but programmed to match the old one, to save carrying two keys (though if a lock set is unavailable then you will still need to carry both keys for the other locks anyway.)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am stupid, just worked out why the U.S. assembly and lock kits have different part numbers, they will include cheaper unchipped keys.

A lock kit from Partzilla, though, is $172.67. So around 200 with taxes etc. But if I then get a blank chipped key, get it cut, and reprogram it (which I could do myself, but would need to buy the cable) it will not end up being much of a saving. And would not include a spare key as it would if buying from the U.K. kit.

So really it comes down to paying the full price for a normal one key solution, or buy a cheap Chinese lock and have to carry around the old key for the immobilizer. But given how the Honda one had fared, I am not very confident in a very cheap Chinese one being a long term option.

I really hope the locksmith can fix it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page