Gear recommendations - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Gear recommendations

Got my motorcycle license a month ago and finally bought a bike from a friend today.

Will need recommendations for:

-Earplugs/hearing protection: Big Ear Filtered Motorcycle EarPlugs
-Durable helmet: Shoei GT-Air Helmet
-Riding jacket: Fly Racing Butane Jacket
-Riding jeans/pants: Bull-it Fury Evo Jeggings
-Riding shoes: Bates Boots Black Bomber Boots

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Here's what I've rounded up(but not yet bought some). I got the earplug and helmet this past Saturday but everything else can still change. Thanks for all your help guys! Will look into everything you told me before I decide what I really need.

How do I remove the guy's face? Would love to share the links of what I wanna buy and what I bought but I don't want the thumbnail to appear.

“Do one thing every day that scares you.”

Last edited by EmRach199; 07-29-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:39 PM

Garage
I recommend:
Helmet: HJC But you need to try them on to find the right fit. Mail order doesn't work until you have used that brand a while.
Jacket: FLY Street is good without being expensive. Catch them on sale.
Boots: Bates Boots. They are selling at a great discount: if they have your size. Get a 1/2 size larger.
https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/...ar/?icid=PLP_1

Wear the gear and ride safely,
EmRach199 likes this.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:05 AM

I have and recommend:
"Cycle Gear" has some riding jeans "Iron Works Steel Jeans" and "Mercury Women's Jeans" on sale for 50% off. They have a few sizes that are out of stock, but if you find your size, it's a good deal. They run true to size, so order what you normally wear. Welcome to the community.
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/iron-workers-steel-jeans
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/iron-...y-womens-jeans
EmRach199 likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon

Last edited by airhead83; 07-25-2019 at 07:20 AM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:32 AM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Welcome aboard. Airhead’s suggestion about Cycle Gear is good. If there is a store near you go in & try on stuff. This is one of those situations where you can spend as much or as little as you desire. Fit is important especially helmet & boots. I suggest you buy jacket & pants as a set from the same manufacturer as they should zip together at the jacket back. You don’t want the jacket riding up if you find yourself sliding along the pavement (which hopefully you won’t). Your feet are almost as important as your head. Buy a real pair of motorcycle boots which are armored in places hiking boots are not (ankles, heel cups etc). All this stuff will add up, but it is very important & will last for many years.
You made a good choice on buying the 500F as you will not outgrow it anytime soon. A lot of us are old geezers who have ridden for years & have returned to this bike as a great all around fun machine.
Your signature, “Do one thing every day that scares you.” shows spunk. Hopefully the motorcycle will not be that only “thing”. This is one situation where being relaxed really pays off. Have fun, enjoy & ride aware.
bambams, airhead83 and EmRach199 like this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTex View Post
I recommend:
Jacket: FLY Street is good without being expensive. Catch them on sale.
Boots: Bates Boots. They are selling at a great discount: if they have your size. Get a 1/2 size larger.
Wow! I love how the Butane Jacket from Fly Racing looks. Are all the motorcycle riding shoes for men? I actually like the black bomber boots so I just have to get my size. These 2 are a great match. These are cheaper than usual to. Thanks!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
I have and recommend:
"Cycle Gear" has some riding jeans "Iron Works Steel Jeans" and "Mercury Women's Jeans" on sale for 50% off. They have a few sizes that are out of stock, but if you find your size, it's a good deal. They run true to size, so order what you normally wear. Welcome to the community.
Thanks! Well, I actually liked the Bull-it Fury Evo Jeggings.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohonace View Post
Welcome aboard. Airhead’s suggestion about Cycle Gear is good. If there is a store near you go in & try on stuff. This is one of those situations where you can spend as much or as little as you desire. Fit is important especially helmet & boots. I suggest you buy jacket & pants as a set from the same manufacturer as they should zip together at the jacket back. You don’t want the jacket riding up if you find yourself sliding along the pavement (which hopefully you won’t). Your feet are almost as important as your head. Buy a real pair of motorcycle boots which are armored in places hiking boots are not (ankles, heel cups etc). All this stuff will add up, but it is very important & will last for many years.
You made a good choice on buying the 500F as you will not outgrow it anytime soon. A lot of us are old geezers who have ridden for years & have returned to this bike as a great all around fun machine.
Your signature, “Do one thing every day that scares you.” shows spunk. Hopefully the motorcycle will not be that only “thing”. This is one situation where being relaxed really pays off. Have fun, enjoy & ride aware.
Thank you so much Motohonace. I really appreciate that you noticed my signature. Don't worry, for sure I will have fun, ride aware and enjoy every moment with my bike. Yeah, I'm planning to buy a new helmet that will fit me right. It would be hard to buy one online because I want something with a perfect fit. Regarding the jacket and pants, I'll think about it. LOL

Thanks again and ride safely.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:19 AM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Another suggestion. Think about buying Hi-Viz gear. It’s always good to be seen. Personally I hate the way it looks, but when I have it on I don’t have to look at it. After you get the pants & jacket sorted out look into getting a one piece riding suit. I use the pants/jacket for day to day & the suit for touring & long weekend rides. Also a secret suggestion, well padded bicycle shorts work great as your first layer on long rides.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:49 AM

Garage
With regards to buying a helmet I would suggest aiming for a Snell rating if you can afford it. The DOT rating is pretty much garbage, and the whole point of a helmet is to protect you, and your head/brain is the most important part. You pay more for it, and you might even have to sacrifice some convenient features (like a built-in Sun visor), but I think it's worth it. I'm currently using a white Scorpion R2000. I think it has the Snell 2015 certification.

In general, when it comes to motorcycle gear, money equals safety. You may find situations where gear is cosmetic and costs a lot, but you also need to pay good money for quality gear. The more research you do beforehand the better. This is your life we're talking about.

Regarding hearing protection I can't help much. I used some cheap ear plugs I got from a hardware store a few times, but they hurt my ears to take out after a ride so I didn't use them regularly. I would generally say that I do think my hearing has been damaged from riding. I want to get tested, but I haven't yet. I think it's smart to be looking for hearing protection, but I can't help you choose really.
Owlman, Plasma1, airhead83 and 1 others like this.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:31 AM

I respectfully disagree that DOT rated helmets are "pretty much garbage". Sorry, Bamams, but that may be a little harsh. The whole idea of the industry's helmet rating system is to set a minimum level of safety for helmets made and sold worldwide. IMO, the Snell rating certainly raises the bar for safety. And normally drags along quality of components, fit and finish, and price. From what I understand, the process of getting a helmet "Snell" certified is more demanding and expensive. So manufactures are going the extra mile to prove the quality and safety of their helmets. The comparison of DOT to Snell may not be "apples to oranges", but not far from "apples to pears". The truth is, the minimum level of safety is better than none at all. Whether you're trying to protect your ears, elbows, fanny, or noggin.. You've got to wear the protection for it to do it's job.
EmRach199 likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in