Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Frayed clutch cable

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  PiedmontBuckeye 
#1 ·
Hey guys!
just found my clutch cable when i was about to adjust tension.
its frayed and still has a few strands left holding it together.
as its my daily commute, how long left before it snaps?

New cable coming in 4 days :(

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Just an FYI. The fraying usually is caused by the "ball" at the end of the cable isn't free to roll in the clutch lever when it is pulled back - this causes the cable to bend back and forth until it begins to break.

Also, when I installed my clutch cable, I was able to "snake" it up through under the tank by unhooking the old cable at the engine, and "coupling" up the new cable top to the old cable lower - using two small cable ties. I then pulled up the old cable slowly upward and the new cable just "followed" the the old one up through. Took about 5 minutes!

Also, be SURE to lubricate the end that goes into the clutch lever & keep it lubed each year.

#7 ·
Sometimes we make our own "luck". Sometime it just falls into our laps. Like when we're doing our pre-ride inspections checking tire pressure, fluid levels, an overall lookee-see of the bike. Or, adjusting things we believe are out of tolerances, like clutch cables. So, again. Good on you for finding it before it broke. Take credit were it's due. Ride Safe and enjoy. :smile:

#9 ·
I don't think the problem is with the lever. It is with the "ball" as it attaches to the lever - it must rotate as one pulls the lever back. If not, the cable keeps bending back and forth until it breaks.

I saw the cable on my bike has a "sleeve" on the end, allowing the knob on the cable to more easily rotate.

It is a good practice to periodically (2x per season?) lube the cable as it is in the lever. I used Marvel Mystery oil for that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.