Checking out - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By Smaug
  • 1 Post By Smaug

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Checking out

Hi Guys,

I felt like it was rude to just disappear without saying 'thank you' and 'goodbye.'

Early this season, I traded my 2015 CBR500R in on a 2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250SA. Great bike. Unbelievable torque. But my girlfriend got her first ride on it and decided she loves riding with me. While the bike had plenty of power, the seat was not comfortable for her; she was always fidgeting. Also, it was sneaky fast. Rode that for only 1500 miles or so before trading it in on a '19 Versys 1000. That one has a great big, thickly-padded passenger seat. Not quite as sneaky fast either, as it makes power a bit higher up in the revs. It also has that lovely long-travel suspension.

My parting thoughts on the little CBR:

+ Great engine; I loved the power curve
+ Great quality
+ Nice & light (compared to other bikes that are as capable, long range)
+ Good looks
+/- Geared too low for US street riding. Easily fixed by going up a tooth, they say, but I never got around to it.
- No provisions for proper wind protection
- Too expensive for what it is, new. It's not an $6700 bike. More like $5500.
- Heavy clutch pull. The Bandit's was a bit lighter and a lot smoother. The Versys' is a LOT lighter and a bit smoother.
- Gearbox was not great; it got caught between gears pretty often. The Bandit's was flawless; Suzuki's reputation here is deserved. Hard to tell on the Versys, under the mushy quick-shifter.

It made a great lightweight, one-up touring bike. In retrospect, I should've bought a used CB500X instead, saved $1k and geared it up. I sat on one a couple weeks ago, and that bike is more comfortable, but still has the heavy clutch.

Thanks for all the tips and good camaraderie.

If you're on advrider, I'm user Smaug1 there and I'll see you around in Road Warriors or Battle Scooters.

Droman1972, bambams, Jb44 and 2 others like this.

-Jeremy
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+

Last edited by Smaug; 06-25-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:48 PM

[QUOTE=Smaug;930268]Hi Guys,

I felt like it was rude to just disappear without saying 'thank you' and 'goodbye.'

Early this season, I traded my 2015 CBR500R in on a 2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250SA. Great bike. Unbelievable torque. But my girlfriend got her first ride on it and decided she loves riding with me. While the bike had plenty of power, the seat was not comfortable for her; she was always fidgeting. Also, it was sneaky fast. Rode that for only 1500 miles or so before trading it in on a '19 Versys 1000. That one has a great big, thickly-padded passenger seat. Not quite as sneaky fast either, as it makes power a bit higher up in the revs. It also has that lovely long-travel suspension.

My parting thoughts on the little CBR:

+ Great engine; I loved the power curve
+ Great quality
+ Nice & light (compared to other bikes that are as capable, long range)
+ Good looks
+/- Geared too low for US street riding. Easily fixed by going up a tooth, they say, but I never got around to it.
- No provisions for proper wind protection
- Too expensive for what it is, new. It's not an $6700 bike. More like $5500.
- Heavy clutch pull. The Bandit's was a bit lighter and a lot smoother. The Versys' is a LOT lighter and a bit smoother.

It made a great lightweight, one-up touring bike. In retrospect, I should've bought a used CB500X instead, saved $1k and geared it up. I sat on one a couple weeks ago, and that bike is more comfortable, but still has the heavy clutch.

Thanks for all the tips and good camaraderie.

If you're on advrider, I'm user Smaug1 there and I'll see you around in Road Warriors or Battle Scooters.[/QUOTE

The very best of luck to you.

Superplasma]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:46 PM

Garage
Ride on safe and long my friend. I can understand with your explanation why the 500 isn't really suited to your needs anymore. Mine has become my regular fun work commuter bike, where my CBR600 is my weekend smile inducer. It certainly has it's limitations, but it was a bike built to a limit anyway. Mods can only get it so far as well, so it never surprises me when someone trades up, or in my case, supplements it with another bike (or 2...eventually 3? lol) Enjoy the ride!

13' CBR500RA - 97' CBR600F3 - 85' VF500 Interceptor
CBR500RA Mods:
Racetech Fork Springs & Emulators
CBR600F4 Rear Shock • Powerbronze Rear Hugger
Corbin Custom Seat • IXIL Slip-On Exhaust

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:18 PM

Hate to see you leave but also understand why you’d move on. Was thinking about selling mine as well but may just supplement it with another.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

I do have two bikes now, the Versys 1000 and the Yamaha SMax 155cc scooter. They compliment each other well.

Droman: those earlier CBR600s like you have were GREAT bikes. It was before they got so race-committed that they got uncomfortable. I remember wanting an F2 SO BADLY in high school. The F4is were the last of the comfy ones, I think. At least until they came out with the CBR650s more recently.

Added one more '-' to the list in the original post.
bambams likes this.

-Jeremy
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page