Slipping clutch - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yokka01
  • 1 Post By airhead83

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Slipping clutch

Hey guys I bought a brand new cbr500r in November last year (2018) and ever since Iíve had it the clutch has been playing up and slipping. Iíve had it in the shop once and they adjusted the clutch cable and it was ok riding around town at 60kmh but yesterday we went for a ride and after about 30ks of travel at 100kph the bike started losing speed, no power loss just speed. It feels like the clutch is screwed. Now my problem is..... when I first took it in I may have done a little burn out just before it went in and my back tyre dobbed me in so the shop told me that now my warranty is void and would have to pay for all repairs. So can anyone give me some advice whether my warranty would be actually void from my actions and if so what will I have to do to fix the bike.
Cheers

bambams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:28 PM

Garage
I have no real advice for you, but your post was worth a chuckle. I wish I had more money than brains.

It does sound like something is wrong though. You can search for forums for tips on adjusting the clutch cable yourself. But if it is changing in a short period of time it sounds like something is damaged or malfunctioning... If the dealership can't get it solved you could try finding another garage, or try to make friends in the motorcycle community in your area and maybe you'll meet somebody that can help as a favor.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:32 AM

What oil are you using? Make SURE that you only use oil that is save for wet clutches in motorcycles. I forget the designation, but this rules out ALL oils that are engineered for cars.

I use Shell Rotella T6 (synthetic) but there are many other ones that are very good. The T6 is pretty much the same as Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic (best one going now for cars) but is safe for mc's with wet clutches. Pennzoil & Shell are the same company.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:44 PM

The normal oil quality standards you need to look for are API-SG or higher, and JASO's standard MA or MA2. The API = American Petroleum Institute and JASO = Japanese Automotive Standards Organization. Specifically, the JASO MA ensures the oil is "non friction modified". Designed as an oil that lubricates the engine, gearbox, and wet clutches as one system. Insert the photo of your bike here as an example.
PiedmontBuckeye likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page