Centerstand vs front/rear stands - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Centerstand vs front/rear stands

I have a 2013 CB500F with about 6500 miles on it. Been riding a long time, but dirt bikes when younger and cruisers as an adult. I have a very nice J&S lift for our Vic and Indian and used to just use a bucket for the dirt bikes. As I do my own work, I need to get my CB up off the ground from time to time! I will rarely ride it much more than an hour from home.

So will a center stand give me everything I need with the added benefit of being able to do such things while out on the road? Or will it just allow for some basics at home and away? I assume no issues with decreasing lean? I push hard, but I'm not dragging knees.

Or would I be better suited getting front and rear stands for maintenance needs given the close proximity to home? Can anyone tell me the spool size I need? And I assume a regular two-side lift for the rear and maybe a fork lift for the front?

Thanks in advance!

Adam S
2013 Honda CB500F
2011 Victory Crossroads
2014 Indian Classic "Springfield"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:56 PM

Garage
I am lusting after a center-stand now. I live in an apartment so I sometimes travel to a family member's garage to do more intense work, like an oil change. And that means first I drive there with my truck to drop off my stands. Then I ride the bike over. It would surely be nice to able to do basic maintenance without having to make two trips. Similarly, when my stands are at home they are generally on my balcony. Which means I need to haul them outside and back for [easier] chain maintenance. Whereas a center stand should allow you to do it, and even do it out on the road. I think that a center stand makes better sense. I cannot speak to ground clearance, but quite a few people do have center stands. You can wait for more replies, or search the boards for previous posts to get some guidance on that.

I imagine you'd still want a proper set of stands if you're going to be removing the rear wheel, but I imagine it can be done if you're desperate with just the center-stand... Probably best of both worlds is having both if money isn't too much of a problem.

Spools are weird for this bike. I don't think the swingarm supports normal spools, and so people generally buy stands that lift from the swingarm instead of spools (mine are from Pit Bull). It works for maintenance, but it's not as secure as spools would be so you probably don't want to leave the bike on the stands for prolonged periods. There are also some funky spools that are mounted to the axle or something like that. In general, the spool options aren't ideal so it's up to you what you prefer... I went with a swingarm stand and it has served me well enough.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
Joe Rocket Speedmaster 12.0, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 PM

Garage
I have (and have had) center stands on all of my bikes, including my 2015 CB500FA.
General maintenance is easy (chain cleaning, tire pressure checks, brake work.)
It also easy to remove wheels.

The rear wheel doesn't require any additional equipment, but a strap to rite the center stand to the front wheel assures the center stant will not retract no matter what antics you try.

In addition to the center stand, I use a bottle jack on the engine oil pan to jack up the front wheel when I want to remove it or work on the brakes or forks.

So, for, me there is no doubt, that I prefer a center stand to individual stands. And the center stand is available 24/7.

An additional benefit is that 2 motorcycles share my small garage.

I use a piece of plywood under the centerstand and I can pivot either bike (about 45) to may clearance for other work.
bambams, motohonace and Plasma1 like this.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTex View Post
I have (and have had) center stands on all of my bikes, including my 2015 CB500FA.
General maintenance is easy (chain cleaning, tire pressure checks, brake work.)
It also easy to remove wheels.

The rear wheel doesn't require any additional equipment, but a strap to rite the center stand to the front wheel assures the center stant will not retract no matter what antics you try.

In addition to the center stand, I use a bottle jack on the engine oil pan to jack up the front wheel when I want to remove it or work on the brakes or forks.

So, for, me there is no doubt, that I prefer a center stand to individual stands. And the center stand is available 24/7.

An additional benefit is that 2 motorcycles share my small garage.

I use a piece of plywood under the centerstand and I can pivot either bike (about 45) to may clearance for other work.

+1 ,yes a center stand every time, had no problem with mine.

Plasma1
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:32 AM

I bought the center stand and do not regret it. I can do reg. maintenance much easier and use straps up to ceiling joists to hold up front if I want to do front wheel removal.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
A center stand is the #1 best addition to this bike. There are no problems with it dragging in corners. I remember long ago when all motorcycles came with center stands & was surprised when this one did not (especially since the mounting brackets for it are already welded on the bike). Buy the Honda OEM one as it is less expensive than the SW- Motech version.
Plasma1 and PiedmontBuckeye like this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:15 PM

I love having a centerstand after 10 years on a Ninja 650 without one. The only glitch is deploying the side stand......there isn't much room to get your foot in between the footpeg and the center stand tab. I have to turn my foot and use my heel instead of my toe.
PiedmontBuckeye likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:26 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Yes, the heel is the easy way to deploy the side stand. Took awhile to get the hang of it, but now it is automatic.
PiedmontBuckeye likes this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 AM

Garage
The first accessory that I have added to my bike was a center stand. I used a large Philips screwdriver to get the spring seated with a touch of oil on the screwdriver to slide the spring into place. There a few small accessories that I would like to add before I do much more riding mainly mirror extenders, and larger hand grips.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:43 AM

The secret to an easy install of the center stand spring is to take the muffler off. This allows the stand to go past the normal stopping point and shortens the distance the spring has to be stretched.
Plasma1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page