wrecked my 2018 cbr500r - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy wrecked my 2018 cbr500r

so ive only been riding for about a month and a half and my throttle got a little sticky and I went to downshift and let off the throttle and the bike came out from underneath me... im doing some diy on the bike to try and fix everything. is there any advise out there to help me fix it. this main issue im having is a sticky throttle from the bar being bent and the bar seems crooked when I ride it like it doesn't ride straight. are these easy fixes? or can the become expensive? and if yall see anything that is important to fix for a safe ride please let me know.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0918[66].jpg (116.9 KB, 62 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:18 PM
the damage looks fairly light, so it seems to have mainly slid on it's side, chances are the handlebar is bent, a new handlebar or a second handlebar from ebay are your only real options, you will never be able to straighten one with any accuracy. That should fix the sticking throttle, if you find the bike then seems to pull to one side, likely is the front forks probably got slightly twisted in the yokes, the best option is to just walk up to the front of the bike so the front wheel goes between your legs, then grip the wheel with your calves and then pull on the handlebar in the opposite direction, you are just trying to twist the forks back (nothing is getting bent and you wont damage the bike!). If the bike seems to go to the left, then you need to grip the front wheel (to stop it turning) and then pull on the right handlebar, it will take quite a pull, then go for a quick test ride and see if it feels better. I really doubt you have done any serious mechanical damage, mainly cosmetic, but handlebars always take a good wallop when you drop the bike and do bend quite easily.

Gary

If you are anywhere in the Dallas, TX area I would be happy to help you out and get it sorted.

Last edited by Thrasherg; 05-20-2019 at 04:21 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

sweet thank you so much for the help! I will let you know if I need any help. I'm in school Monday through Friday in Irving for college. I appreciate all of you help thank you so much I'm ordering the parts now and hopefully they come in quick because I don't want it sitting in the garage forever lol

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:23 PM

Yeah if you replace the bars and it still feels weird then go for the fork de-twist next.
I'd loosen up the bottom triple clamp first so you don't have to yank it as hard if that is the issue.
If you're going to do that, make sure you have a torque wrench so you can get them back to spec after that.

Source: Someone who just replaced their entire CB500 front end after a crash :/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:32 AM

Just as a thought, if that throttle stuck open on you and the bike is a 2018 almost brand new, I would definitely see if that type of thing is covered in the warranty. It seems to me it would be.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:31 AM

Garage
I'm having trouble figuring out how a stuck throttle would make the bike come out from underneath you when downshifting... Maybe a race bike, but not a 500..

Though it can certainly be a frightening experience before you've figured out what's going on.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
Joe Rocket Speedmaster 12.0, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page