Advice on buying a new CBR500R - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExTex

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Advice on buying a new CBR500R

Hello,

I'm new to the site, new to motorcycling, and I just completed the MSF course. I am looking at purchasing a CBR500R. I have a few questions and I am hoping you all can help answer for me.

I have found several 2017 and 2018 CBR500R's at local dealers that are still considered "new". Not having purchased a motorcycle before, are there any issues, to the point where I should be concerned, when purchasing a bike that is over two years old and has no mileage on it? I know it will still carry the factory warranty. What do dealers typically do to make bikes, I guess there are called "leftovers", such as these road worthy? Do they flush and change all the fluids? Are there other items that would need to be replaced immediately, due to the lack of use, before the bike can be safely used on the road?

Most importantly, what is the best way to accurately assess the value of the bike?

I'm asking as I have found a 2017 CBR500R that I really like. It is new and only has two miles on the odometer. I'm not sure what is appropriate to ask of the dealer versus what is expected the dealer will do to make the bike ready for delivery. Any advice is welcomed!

Thank you.

David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:21 PM

Garage
I doubt that they do anything associated with the age of the bike.
They just prep it like it was just out of the crate.

I would expect to have to check the oil level & air pressure myself.
Then, plan to change oil at the 600 mile mark as per the manual.
Just remember that the tires, brake fluid and coolant are already 2 yrs old

and be ready to change them when they are 5 yrs old (my change schedule).

I presume that they are selling it at a discount (10% per year of age).

Enjoy
zippy likes this.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM

Keep in mind that the CBR500R family had a major model change in 2019. Lots of things changed.

With new cars, this would mean a greater discount for models from previous model years since you don't get the new look, new stuff. Not saying you need any of the new stuff.

If you have a friend who is good at negotiating car sales, bring them along when you talk price. Maybe the dealer can throw in a helmet and jacket plus a substantial discount. A two model-year old "new" bike/car is something any dealer longs to get rid of....

2014 CB500F: GSXR600 rear shock, Traxxion fork emulators+springs, Kuryakyn Throttle Boss, IDEA Gear Indicator, Puig Wind Screen, SW-Motech handlebar risers, LED tail light, rubber tank side pads.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:15 PM

I bought a leftover 2017 500r from a dealer 1 mile on the odometer, they checked fluids before i got it and the only thing they replaced was the battery, other than that its a new bike at a discounted price i got it for $5500 OTD and yeah you gotta do the break in change the oil at 600 miles and all that. As for prices it all depends on where you live some places are more expensive than others, i suggest you shop around and look what other dealers are selling them for.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:28 AM
It shouldn't make any difference to Honda, they will treat it as a new bike as they go by the date it was first registered, however be aware that Insurance companies will generally consider it as a 2 year old motorcycle, not a brand new, so if it is damaged in an accident they will offer a lot less money than you expect, you can fight but it's a lot of work!! The insurance aspect is the only real down side I have come across. Just be very aware if anything changed with the model in the last 2 years and be sure you don't want those changes before buying an older showroom floor model. Its generally a good way to get a new bike for a little less expense!!

Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page