New Rider New Owner - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

New Rider New Owner

Hello all New here. I have had my 2017 CBR500R for almost 2 months. I have put 700 miles on it with local riding.

I was looking to make it a bit louder than stock so I am easier to be "seen". As I have been looking at some after market exhaust tips and systems they mostly all seem to be upwards of 200-300 at least. Is that what I can expect to pay? are there less expensive options out there? Also suggestions of what I can put on so I don't annoy the neighbors early in the morning or late at night (I live in an apartment), but also something that will help me be heard while driving down the road would be appreciated. I have seen other posts about exhaust and will take a quick browse through those to see some of those options.

Another thing I possibly would like is some saddle bags without them being too bulky on the sides of the bike.

Thank you in advanced

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:31 AM

Garage
Hello and welcome.

Exhausts are a contentious issue. Lots of opinions. For what it’s worth, here’s mine:

A loud exhaust won’t help you be seen if they’re not looking. It won’t be heard above their stereo or screaming kids. It won’t be heard until you’ve passed them. All it will do is give you a headache and piss off your neighbours.

Much better, in my experience, to save your money and develop a riding style based on the principle that you’re invisible, and that nobody will have seen or heard your approach. It’s kept me alive for 40 years on two wheels.
loloyd, bambams, Jb44 and 5 others like this.

My worst fear about dying is my wife selling all my stuff for what I told her it cost...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:59 PM

As stated above there are lots of opinions on the issue, while I don't believe a loud exhaust alone will make you visible I do think it helps being noticed at some degree. Personally i do it for both a chance of being more noticed and because i like it louder but not annoying harley loud thats obnoxious, and yes nothing will ever top being aware of your surroundings and developing better riding skills, and of course always ride like you're invisible. As for exhausts yeah you can find a cheapo ebay one but I personally wouldn't recommend it, you get what you pay for, I think being in the $200+ range is the norm, i have the yoshi exhaust it's loud but not too loud but is pricy.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post

A loud exhaust won’t help you be seen if they’re not looking. It won’t be heard above their stereo or screaming kids. It won’t be heard until you’ve passed them. All it will do is give you a headache and piss off your neighbors.

Much better, in my experience, to save your money and develop a riding style based on the principle that you’re invisible, and that nobody will have seen or heard your approach. It’s kept me alive for 40 years on two wheels.

Great Advice!
bambams likes this.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:32 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
I agree with the above members. Keep the exhaust quiet, wear hi-viz clothing & stay super aware & vigilant.
As to saddle bags I like my SW- motech Blaze panniers. They are low key, super easy to mount & hold a good amount of stuff. I am about to leave on a 10 day tour & they will do the job for me. The one drawback is they are not cheap. They are German however. They are bike specific & available through Twistedthrottle.com Photo attached:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F56D05F4-8E03-4C37-A697-D02D174CE740.jpeg (80.0 KB, 37 views)
bambams and wendyjboss like this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:55 AM

Years ago, Honda sold a "SuperHawk" (CB77, 305cc) which is the model that put Honda on the map in the US. It had the same crank and firing configuration as the current CB500F. There was an aftermarket company that sold megaphones to fit it (the CB77 had twin exhausts, not a 2 to 1 exhaust however) that made the bike sound AWESOME!! If I could get a twin exhaust on my CB500 and megs like those I would do it in a minute!

But with what I can find, there is nothing available like that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda_SuperHawk.jpg (9.9 KB, 15 views)

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Last edited by PiedmontBuckeye; 05-09-2019 at 10:57 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:52 PM

Garage
I'm going to also agree with the others. A loud exhaust won't make you seen. Even if it was loud enough to distract drivers from what they're doing, it can often just confuse them (they might hear you, but can't see you, and then it's a guessing game).

I had a Harley blow past me years ago on the highway. It was extreme. Loudest bike I've ever heard since. I still didn't "see" him coming because he approached me doing about 2x or 3x the speed limit wearing all black. I still couldn't hear him until he was RIGHT on top of me. Effectively, it went from completely silent, to mind numbingly loud as he passed by my car which completely shocked and disoriented me, and by the time I knew what was happening and recognized that a bike had passed me he was 100 yards ahead of me and I could barely hear him again. I don't know about you, but the last thing I want is for all of the cagers around me to be disoriented and confused.

Ride like you're invisible, wear all of the gear all of the time, and prefer bright colors for your bike and gear. It really goes a long way. I recently saw a video on YouTube where a guy was testing the theory of hi-viz. He set his camera up on the side of the street at night and rode by in several configurations. The bike was basically black. His preferred gear was black as well, including the helmet. When he rode by like this he was literally invisible. You could barely even notice him, despite knowing he was there because that was the point of the video. Scary. He tried with a hi-viz vest and black helmet. You could faintly notice the hi-viz, but it confused your brain because whatever "it" was it had no visible head. It sort of made your brain doubt that a person was there. Scary! He tried with a white helmet, and black gear. You could immediately spot the helmet. This was a big improvement over the previous configurations, but the bike and body were still invisible (but the helmet stood out enough that you could recognize that somebody was coming). Finally he rode by with the white helmet and a hi-viz vest and he was clearly visible. I already believed in bright colors, but that video did a great job of illustrating it for all of the non-believers. He said after watching it back himself he was no longer going to ride around with the black gear.

I just purchased a new jacket that will fit my beer belly, and since I couldn't find a white jacket that I liked (most of them were 70% black with white trim) I decided on a hi-viz jacket instead, which I am so far loving. My wife saw it for the first time when I was trying it on, and she said it was hideous and she hated it and didn't want me to keep it. And I said it's about being seen, not being fashionable. The size was wrong so I had to play a few games to try out various sizes, but once the correct size arrived I went for a ride. My wife was out getting her nails done so I decided to ride over to the shop to show her the jacket. She was on the second floor of a large building, and she said they all saw me coming down the road without knowing I was going to be coming. She figured it probably wasn't even me, but realized it was when I pulled into the parking lot. Pretty good result if a bunch of gabbing hens gossiping in a nail salon on the second floor of a building notice me coming (on a quiet bike) when they're trying to make each other pretty, not even looking for me and don't even care about bikes.
loloyd, wendyjboss and motohonace like this.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bambams; 05-17-2019 at 12:55 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:02 PM

Garage
Good post. ^^^
bambams likes this.

My worst fear about dying is my wife selling all my stuff for what I told her it cost...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:22 AM
As stated louder exhausts don't really help, especially as the sound coming out is directed behind you, when you really want it going forward to get you noticed by the cars in front!! However a slightly louder exhaust note can be a pleasant sound (nothing to do with safety, just aesthetics!!). If you really are wanting safety, then as mentioned a defensive driving attitude is the biggest benefit you can make, assume all drivers are deaf and blind and out to get you. I fitted a headlight modulator to my daughters motorcycle and that really got her noticed, some drivers didn't like it as they felt she looked like an emergency vehicle with flashing lights, but they are legal in the USA and definitely get you noticed.

Gary
bambams likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM

Garage
The easiest way to improve visibility is to keep the headlight on Hi-Beam during the day.
It shows up much further down the road than does the low beam.

Ride safely,
hillscbr, motohonace and Plasma1 like this.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page