Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

replace or use crush washer?

15K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Plasma1 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i will be doing my first oil change. I heard debates about replacing and reusing crush washer drain plugs. Should i replace it or reuse it?

Where can i buy the crush washers?

#3 ·
#7 ·
Don't know why this is such an issue. I have never, in 55 years of riding motorcycles, replaced a "crush" washer - which don't really crush at all. In the old days they were actually hollow and would "crush" providing enough seal and tightness.

Now? They don't "crush." I put a tiny bit of RTV blue on the threads near the head and snug tighten. NEVER had a problem or leak! Hundreds of thousands of miles!

I don't even replace them on my cars (Toyota & Hondas) even when they come free with the filter.

Reactions: Plasma1
#10 ·
The service manual can say a lot of things that most of us will ignore. In terms of technical things, we should be listening to them. However, this crush washer thing is kind of a joke. The manufacturers also insist on our purchasing their "factory" parts. Do you follow their instructions there??

These sorts of suggestions/instructions are designed more to sell more of their products than to give advice on the best way to take care of their product.

Forget the crush washer advice - the old washer is just as good as a new one.

#11 ·
Opinions are like......well you know, we all have them.
OP, READ, not forums and internet gibberish from keyboard jockey’s that know everything, read tech manuals, white papers, etc. and develop your own conclusions. That is what most of us have done and why we all have our own opinions about things like this and what oil to use.

#18 ·
IF you have one to replace and you FEEL you should, go ahead.
IF for some reason you don't have a new washer - the world will not end because you don't replace it!
ITS up to you IF you feel it is necessary.

This is like which tire to use, or which type of oil, or IF global warming is a thing.
YOU will NOT change anyone's mind from what they do at this very moment.

Dont discuss politics or religion...or on motorcycle forums tires, oil, or crush washers!

For the record I have never replaced any washer on any on any car or bike I've owned - no leaks, no problems.

#19 ·
I think they are ok to use twice. But on my last change I saw small drop of oil on the bolt so it seemed to be leaking. I dont own a torque wrench so I tightened it even more than what felt "snug" and that made the leak stop.

But i am pretty sure the crush washer is caput now because of that. So In my opinion you can get 2 or maybe 3 oil changes out of a washer. Its probably best to just get a new one, if they cost a dollar each...... To risk leaks in order to save a dollar is probably a bad gamble.

But I have 5 filters left with 3 crush washers and 3 oil filter gaskets (My bike is CB300F) So I have to "make it work", you dig it?

#20 ·
On this momentous topic I must contribute the fact that my original crush washer that came with the bike LIVES. Now 26000 miles and approaching my 5th oil change. I still have the new one some dealer might have given me when I purchased a filter. DO NOT USE CHEAP REPLACEMENT FILTER FROM EBAY. Get the oem or better. My 2 cents. The gentleman rests..

#21 ·
Of course, this time around I forgot about the crush washer until the job was done and I was draining the oil back into the bottles and found it in the bottom of the drain pan... :rolleyes: :pissedoff

I could go to the trouble to put it on and pour the lost oil back in, but I'm wondering if it'll even leak enough to matter. I normally check the oil level before I ride at least once a day so I should notice if it's losing oil before it becomes a problem, unless it's going to lose enough in a long day of riding (which I rarely do anyway) to harm the engine. Which I doubt.

Reactions: PiedmontBuckeye
#23 ·
Just came across this thread and wanted to chime in. The last thing you want is for oil to start leaking from a bad crush washer as it will go straight onto the back tire. Happened to me on my last bike and I am lucky I was just putting around town when it happened. Don't cheap out on washers that cost less than a dollar - your life might depend on it.

#24 ·
I disagree - not about the part of the leaking but the part about replacing the washer. I have seen brand new washers leak! What is the natural solution? Over-tighten the bolt.

The best way is to use RTV sealer ( I prefer the original blue) on the base of the threads, and on both sides of the washer. When snugged, the sealer will also act as a loctite on the bolt, keeping it from backing out. Cheaper than the washer and better insurance so as not to strip out the threads. After changing oil, check the bolt in a day or so, and then after a week - to guarantee it has not loosened.

I have done this for years with no leakage AND NO stripped threads - ever!

On my wife's Honda car, which uses the same size bolt and "crush" washer (which really doesn't crush) I used a new washer (it came free with the Honda filter) and I had leakage issues on several occasions. Went back to my RTV method.

Reactions: Plasma1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.