Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Schaaf Rides The 2019 cb500F

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Dark Mouse 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Nice review. Thanks for posting.

The comments say he is doing clutchless shifting on many of his upshifts.

Do you guys do that?

Snade

#3 ·
I see his riding style hasn't improved - still rides like a teenager on a video game.

And no, I don't clutches shift. Neither does anyone with any mechanical sympathy or a desire to never have to rebuild their gearbox.

#4 ·
Actually, if done PROPERLY, a clutchless shift is less harmful to the gearbox than using the clutch with its RPM drop between shifts. Take a look at quick shifters. They shift perfectly. Same thing as a clutchless shift.

Schaaf had a bad get off and now rides in a more mellow fashion. I didn't see any problems with this pace.

#6 ·
1) It didn't seem like the engine was ever in high revs. Whatever were the few peaks....the engine just didn't seem like it was screaming. (like my rebel 300) Or maybe is was just smooth? Whatever the case, this was nice to watch as I'm in the market for a new bike, and this is one of the top contenders. (Yamaha MT07 is the other)

2) This guy's riding style is why my dad screamed at me in the early 80's to NEVER get a motorcycle. I sense youth and arrogance.

#7 ·
1) It didn't seem like the engine was ever in high revs. Whatever were the few peaks....the engine just didn't seem like it was screaming. (like my rebel 300) Or maybe is was just smooth? Whatever the case, this was nice to watch as I'm in the market for a new bike, and this is one of the top contenders. (Yamaha MT07 is the other)

2) This guy's riding style is why my dad screamed at me in the early 80's to NEVER get a motorcycle. I sense youth and arrogance.
If you're looking for a little more grunt for not much more money, I bought a Kawasaki z900. It's as easy to ride as my cb500F. Smooth powerful, totally Un intimidating. Think cb500F with 115hp at the wheel.

#10 ·
I clutchless shift sometimes when I'm in hooligan mode, but that's not often.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I have CB300F and I always upshift without the clutch on Gear 3,4,5, and 6 but always use the clutch on gear 1 and 2. All downshifts I always use the clutch.

There is nothing wrong with doing this as long as you use proper form. Here is a video from Ari Henning talking about it:

Search YouTube for "The Truth About Clutchless Shifting | MC Garage"

So basically what you do is start pressing upwards on the shift lever (while in gear 2 or higher) and then close the throttle completely (at the same time) and you will see that the gearbox shifts into the next higher gear very smoothly and effortlessly.

Play around with it to get the rhythm perfect. In fact your clutch is going to last LONGER by doing this technique (fewer compressions) so its certainly not "bad for the bike" if you do it correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.