2019 500R vs Ninja 400. Worth the $2000 premium? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Ive been shopping between the two and it's really hard to decide. With the recent changes in the 2019 model year, they are nearly identical in features (slipper clutch, gear indicator, led everything). What I like about the Honda is the smoothness of the engine and the extreme riding range/fuel economy. Other than that you're splitting hair and I don't know if it's worth the $2k premium (dealer near me is selling the ninja 400 for $4700). I know this may be biased because it's a Honda forum but what is your opinion?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:16 PM

Garage
If the specs are similar then go with your heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isaac Stavola likes this.

Mods:
I took the stickers off when I was bored
Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters
Titanium short adjustable CNC brake / clutch levers
Phone mount with USB charger
MPR4 tyres
Custom registration plate
GPR Furore Nero exhaust
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:11 PM

Ride them both and buy the one you like the most.
motohonace likes this.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:33 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Decisions, decisions, especially when it comes to money. Like the other members said ride them both & make the call. The price difference is pretty significant & the lighter weight of the Kawa is nice. However, as you mentioned, this is a Honda forum so expect some bias. Personally the best thing about the Honda is the engine. It has an amazingly predictable & linear power band which redlines at 8700 rpm. You will spend most of the time somewhere between 4000-6000 rpm on the Honda. This is mellow by Ninja standards where you would have to wind the Kawa up much more to get similar performance. I enjoyed banging 10000 rpm shifts when I was 23. At 68 I prefer shifting at 5000+- & still getting down the road at a decent clip. Matter of taste I suppose. Whichever bike you choose have fun & be sane.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:06 PM

If i was buying a new bike i would take the ninja 400 over the cbr 500 just on cost alone and would even buy the new R3 before the cbr.I like the looks of the cbr more then the others and it's fuel economy is better but the ninja has a better power to weight ratio and is faster.Where i live the ninja is 2500 less then the 500.The kawasaki 2019 Z650 is the same price as the honda cbr500r in canada which i find strange.

1975 Honda Z50
1979 Honda XR80
1980 Kawasaki KX80
1987 Kaw KX125
1991 Honda CR250
1975 Kaw KH 250
1976 Kaw KH 500
2013 Honda CBR 500R

Last edited by GRIZZY; 02-06-2019 at 09:19 PM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:36 PM

I was ready to buy the 400 but changed my mind when the 2019 500 information was made available.if you are doing your own maint the Honda motor is much easier to work on.the new swing arm design is more user friendly.the new clip-ons are under the triple, (lower) which is of course is a personal preference thing.the two piece frame may not be an important item for most until you have to replace an entire frame just because of a bent or broken sub frame.the slipper clutch and the new valve timing are going to make this bike better for track days or canyon carving.the weight difference was an issue for me but you just have to figure out if that one negative thing is really that important.plus the Honda looks better.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 AM

I'll be following this thread too. I posted elsewhere on this forum that I'm looking to make another motorcycle purchase this spring, as I don't like my Rebel 300. The cb500f is a top contender, as is the Yamaha MT07. But the Kawasaki Z400 popped up on my radar recently. It's checking off a LOT of boxes on my wishlist, but I'm concerned the engine is a little small. But that's offset by the price!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:46 AM

I really, really like the 60 pound lighter weight of the Ninja 400, and I am actually looking for a used one on Craigslist, but it has some disadvantages. One is the lower output of the alternator, which is around 300 watts versus 500 watts for the CBR. This means that heated gear and grips, plus things like gps, may exceed the capacity of the charging system. Another drawback for me is that there are no hard sidecases available for the Ninja, while I have the ability to mount Givi hard cases to my cbr. Lastly, the smoothness and torque of the cbr and its incredible fuel mileage is a definite consideration. Unknown, but perhaps a factor, is the build quality of the Honda.
yotee likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 01:47 PM

Opps, now I realize most people are talking about the ninja 400...I was looking at the Z400
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:30 PM

Given if you fit on the Ninjette.
at 180cm, i felt a bit cramped on that bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page