Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Chain tension advice required

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Vinny82 
#1 ·
Good afternoon all, I’ve just replaced my chain and both sprockets at 10,000 miles. Easy enough job and damned glad I did as stock chain was minced, and adjusted well into the red.

I fitted DID GVX ring 520, with rental sprockets, 15 tooth stock at the front, but decided on 39 (stock -2) at the rear.

My query is this....with the new 112 link chain fitted, I’m still in the red. I half expected this because I’ve lost two teeth and therefore 2 links of space from the drive train. I don’t really know how much adjustment space I will have, so will there be any issues running the axle this far back? Should I take 2 links out, and just for yet another master link, to bring the axle forward into the green again?

There was an amazing amount of gunk under the front sprocket, and it’s so much smoother riding now, I’m also under the impression that the 5% speed adjustment should have pulled the Speedo closer to true. I’ll run GPS speed to find that out and post what I find...

Any advise gladly received.

#2 ·
I’d take a link out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Appreciated thankyou, just need to order another master link.
On a related topic, now that the speedo reads correct, will the odometer be over? Where does the clock get it’s mileage from? If speed is done by gear selected and rpm, and I’ve extended the gearing, will I still be doing the same mileage by the clock?

#4 ·
Yes, the mileage will also be affected.

I experimented with gps on mine (a 2016 UK model) and as standard both the speedo and the mileometer were approximately 10% out. I’m also going to change to a 39t rear sprocket, and hopefully it will bring both to almost exactly accurate.

#5 ·
Well I’m 115kgs, before I’ve kitted up, and I’m riding in full winter fabrics right now. Since fitting the 39 rear, the speed is averaging 1% over GPS. The acceleration hasn’t suffered anything near noticeable, and I can still pull away comfortably from 40mph in 6th without issue overtaking. It’s a much more relaxed feel to rolling on.

I hadn’t taken any data on the stock gear, but was under the impression that the mileage was correct on stock, just reported a fake over spec speed, knowing it was wrong, but keeping mileage true to distance travelled.

Based on this impression, now that the true speed is correct, I think I’ve transferred the fake ratio difference onto the mileage, kind of back to front from where it was. So instead of over estimating speed, it’s now under tracking distance by the same margin of approx 6%. Only need to keep this in mind for service intervals. This is not an issue for me as I’ve decided on taking over my own servicing, given that I’ll be at close to 100,000 miles all being well at 3 years. So no amount of service stamp is going to keep any kind of financial benefit ? and I wouldn’t dream of selling it because I love riding it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.