2019 Honda CB500R & CB500F Walkaround - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

2019 Honda CB500R & CB500F Walkaround

New video from youtube about the new bikes.

Cheers,

Snade

Droman1972 likes this.

bike - - - > 2014 Honda CB500F (black)

cars - - - > 2015 BMW M235i w MT, 2017 Audi A4

life goals - - - > take things easy, be helpful to others, and enjoy

"When a horse learns to buy martinis, I'll learn to like horses." Steve McQueen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 05:09 PM

Lower bars and my bad back are going to knock the new cbr off my shortlist.

1975 Honda Z50
1979 Honda XR80
1980 Kawasaki KX80
1987 Kaw KX125
1991 Honda CR250
1975 Kaw KH 250
1976 Kaw KH 500
2013 Honda CBR 500R
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 05:48 PM

2019 cbr500r finally got the bars in the right place.Still a bit porky but I think I can get it down to 380 lbs with a little work and $$$$.March can't come soon enough.by the way I am 75 years old and have two zx6r's one of which is my DD.
Snade likes this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:38 PM

Instruments are better on the R. Not sure that I see a ton of difference in the clip-ons, which is fine with me.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:36 PM

clip-ons are now below top triple, fork is shorter similar to cb500F .Swingarm has changed to accommodate a better axel adj system.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:13 PM

Thanks for sharing! The new dash looks interesting. I hope Honda keeps iterating and refining the CB500 series. When I started riding all the 500cc bikes were old stale designs that none of the manufacturers bothered keeping competitive and I jumped right past them when I thought I'd outgrown my first bike (a 2003 Ninja 250). I'm pleased to see so many fresh designs are available in the 250-500cc range nowadays.
Snade likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:50 AM

A few further details.
All three of the 500 family gets the slipper clutch and the revised rear swingarm which does not seem to get mentioning.
Changes ro the swingarm mean much better chain andjusters (I have made up some new cursewords reinstalling the rear wheel until I've bought aftermarket swingarm endcaps which are stasing im place) and a different suspension linkage mechanism. This later one seems to be similar to the one used on the NC750 series.
Snade and chickenfried like this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
A few further details.
All three of the 500 family gets the slipper clutch and the revised rear swingarm which does not seem to get mentioning.
Changes ro the swingarm mean much better chain andjusters (I have made up some new cursewords reinstalling the rear wheel until I've bought aftermarket swingarm endcaps which are stasing im place) and a different suspension linkage mechanism. This later one seems to be similar to the one used on the NC750 series.
Very good points. Seems like a significant upgrade.

I found this description of the "slipper clutch" on Sport Rider magazine:

The main benefit of a slipper or back-torque-limiting clutch is that it reduces the effect of engine braking on the rear wheel under deceleration. When you close the throttle on your bike, the rear wheel tries to turn the engine rather than the other way around, resulting in a sometimes considerable braking force. Four-stroke engines typically have more engine braking than two-strokes, larger engines more than smaller, and big twins are usually the worst. Excessive engine braking can cause the rear wheel to skid and can even effect the rear suspension action, causing wheel hop or instability. Some riders also tend to over-rev the engine on downshifts, and a slipper clutch can help prevent this from happening.

Honda introduced slipper clutches on its four-stroke racebikes during the ’80s, including the NR500 and FWS1000, and production slipper clutches first appeared on Honda’s Sabre, Magna, and Interceptor V-4 models. This setup used a one-way bearing to allow half the clutch plates to freewheel under deceleration. It was quickly replaced by the ramp-type unit as more manufacturers adopted slipper clutches, and this is the style used in most sportbikes today. Here, the inner clutch hub is made in two pieces with a set of ramps between them. On deceleration, the rear wheel tries to turn one piece of the hub faster than the other, which is being slowed by the engine, and the ramps force the hub apart, separating the clutch pack and allowing a certain amount of slip. Once the clutch starts to slip, the force on the ramps is reduced and the plates close up, introducing a certain amount of equilibrium into the system.
Cheers,

Snade
Owlman, hillscbr and Plasma1 like this.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:51 AM

looks like the rear suspension is completely changed.they have gone away from the pro-link to a twin dog bone very similar to the ninja 400.looks like the shock is mounted up side down too.
Snade likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

This could be my next bike if the US version looks like this: 2019 CB500F in red.

Cheers,

Snade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page