Just got my bike! Few things I noticed and would like to ask you. - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Just got my bike! Few things I noticed and would like to ask you.

So, finally I picked one up yesterday!

I know, that HRC sticker is going out.

Mint condition, still on warranty until 04/2019, 4.400KMs on it, sold for 4.400 - Pretty sick deal isn't it? What do you think?

Few things I noticed that I'd like to ask:

One is the "reservoir coolant jug" beneath the bike. It was basically almost completely empty. It had just a tiny bit left in the "sag" part of it (see image, red line).

I rode it to the closest motorbike shop (not Honda Official or anything of the likes), and the guy told me "it was completely fine as the radiator was full and this jug was just the reservoir". But then again, why does it specify in the manual that the level of coolant should be between the marks if according to him it's unimportant? He added some and that was about it. I must say that I made about 70kms before that and the Temperature Light did not show up, and it was a T-Shirt hot day. I also haven't spotted any leaks around the engine or droplets in the floor overnight. Where specifically should I look for leaks and if leaking wouldn't be the issue, why the **** was the jug empty of coolant?

Another question I have is about the tires or most importantly the rear one. It seemed pretty square (flat in the middle) to me, at the very least very square for just 4.400KMs. What do you guys think?

because I also did not have greater confidence leaning at slow speeds than the confidence I had doing so with my old CBR125R. Could be the tire being too squared/flattened out?

Regards!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 01:22 PM

The answer to both questions is don't worry so much.
Your rear tire is going to square. It's the nature of the 500. This amount of squaring at this point in the tire's life probably indicates the previous rider didn't keep the pressure up to specs. Run the life out of that tire. It'll be just fine. When you're ready for a new set, consider the Battlax BT-023. It has a more linear tip in and requires more deliberate input. That should give you more confidence leaning over. I personally prefer the sharp tip in of the stock Dunlop, but the Bridgestone is a better tire overall.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

@chzeckmate Noted. Cheers mate. What do you think on the price, considering dealerships let it go at 6.450€?

And by the way. Any actual clue on the coolant thing?

Old 09-22-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaanx View Post
@chzeckmate Noted. Cheers mate. What do you think on the price, considering dealerships let it go at 6.450?

And by the way. Any actual clue on the coolant thing?
You got a very fine deal. Congratulations! You're in for a real treat with that bike!
I personally wouldn't worry at all about the coolant. If your radiator is full, you have nothing to worry about.

Plasma1 likes this.

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chzeckmate View Post
You got a very fine deal. Congratulations! You're in for a real treat with that bike!
I personally wouldn't worry at all about the coolant. If your radiator is full, you have nothing to worry about.

Oh, misread you on your first message, apologies. Many thanks for that! I'll be reading you around for a long while
Old 09-22-2018, 07:48 PM

Garage
My f model came new low like that. I just added some fluid to thetop line.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
My f model came new low like that. I just added some fluid to thetop line.
Very interesting. Probably an overlook by the dealer? (usually they're kept without fluids while they're sitting in the dealerships). Brand new as in ordered a unit from factory, or maybe that was a neglibily used unit returned by somebody else or whatever?
Old 09-24-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

I guess I rather should worry

Quote:

Old 09-24-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaanx View Post
I guess I rather should worry
What are we looking at here? My eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chzeckmate View Post
What are we looking at here? My eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Water pump (I reckon?) with that drippling liquid, a problem I've read about several times when I was informing myself about the bike, which I thought only affected the 2013-2015 model.

Last edited by saaanx; 09-24-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in