Vibration - numb hands! - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Red face Vibration - numb hands!

Hi all

I have just passed my full bike test here in the UK and have started commuting to work on my 2017 matt black CBR500RAH. All is going well apart from the vibration!

My commute is about 70 miles and takes about 1 hour 15 mins. It is mainly motorway (highway) riding at 70 - 75mph.

Day 1 my hands were completely numb for most of the ride due to the vibration coming through the handlebars.

Day 2 (having fitted some Grip puppies - foam covers) it was a bit better but still a fair amount of numbness going on.

The bike had c. 2500 miles on it when I got it and I bought it privately. It has had the 600 mile service.

Just wondering if there was anything I should check mechanically on the bike or if this is normal? I have read that some vibration between 5k and 6.5k rpm is normal but this is quite bad to make my hands numb.

I have tried adjusting my grip - thinking it might be my new rider holding on too tight style but it doesn't seem to be having much of an effect.

Any ideas - I wonder if the chain is too tight? It only seems to have less than a cm play in the bottom run? Should it be 2-3cm?

Any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:44 AM

Garage
Vibration - numb hands!

Welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on choosing a black bike. We can be friends.

It should have weighted bar ends which help reduce vibration. Check that. If not sure check the bar end screws for any tampering.

Check fairing / fender is all aligned and not lose. Any plastic flapping around could cause a few vibes. Even one of those reflective discs on the front forks, if it is lose or not aligned right could contribute to vibes at the front end.

Front tyre ok?

Chain adjusted correctly? Should be 40mm play. See side arm, should have the spec there

All bolts and nuts at spec?

Windshield correctly installed?

Are you wearing motorcycle gloves?

Some vibration is normal and at certain revs / speeds is more pronounced. But from what you say seems yours is worse than I experience. I do get numb hands sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods:
I took the stickers off when I was bored
Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters
Titanium short adjustable CNC brake / clutch levers
Phone mount with USB charger
MPR4 tyres
Custom registration plate
GPR Furore Nero exhaust

Last edited by hillscbr; 05-10-2018 at 05:48 AM.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply - a fair few things to check out there that I will get on to. I will check the chain tension properly but just went down to have a look with an experienced colleague and he thought it was thereabouts ok.

However, when I ran the engine stationary he felt the grips and was surprised at the amount of vibration coming through. Not having owned a bike before I have no reference really (other than the bikes I used for my test).

So it would seem that the vibration is coming from the engine and is present through the rev range. Could valve adjustment be an issue? Oil looks clean and is only about 2000 miles old.

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:50 AM

Garage
Itís really hard to say what the issue could be. There are many more mechanically minded on this forum who will no doubt suggest other ideas, but what Iíve suggested are easy to check and eliminate first.

If the vibration is happening stationary, then you can eliminate the cause as something flapping in the wind.

Any signs of crash damage?

Mods:
MPR4 tyres
GPR Furore Nero exhaust
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks hillscbr - No signs of any crash damage - it was spotless when I collected it. It had been decatted but I have replaced the decat header with a stock one. It runs nicely, good acceleration etc its just there is a lot of vibration through the grips. I have also wondered if my gloves are too tight as I get the same effect (but not as bad) when riding my racing pedal bike on rough roads and wearing gloves. Would be good to see how much someone else's grips vibrate to compare.

I also wonder if I can increase the bar end weights to try and mitigate the vibration some more?
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:48 AM

Garage
If the bar ends are stock then they should be doing their job. Changing them wonít fix the source of the vibration.

I mentioned the gloves bcs if I (rarely) ride without gloves the vibration is more pronounced. You (and me) should always wear gloves.

The only other thing I can think off is check all the bolts and nuts you can see for damage. If an incompetent person has been near the engine or top of the forks then there will probably be damage to those bolts.

If all looks good, make sure everything is nice and tight. If still bad vibration Iíd take it under warranty for a check to a Honda dealer. Maybe theyíll also let you test a similar model for comparison.

You mentioned the cat was taken out. If one of the exhaust pipes is a bit loose I imagine that would cause vibrations. As it seems that is the only thing thatís been messed with, perhaps thatís the issue.

Probably disheartening for you not being completely satisfied with the bike, but once you figure out the vibration issue rest assured the 500s are great bikes.

Mods:
MPR4 tyres
GPR Furore Nero exhaust
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:51 AM

Since you are a new rider on an R, it could be your riding style. Make sure you are not putting weight on your hands. I know I had a problem at first, and had to remind myself to squeeze the tank a little with my legs and relax my arms. Don't try to squeeze the grips and muscle the front wheel, especially in high winds at fast speeds. Just relax and counter steer to keep you on course. See if any of that helps, but continue to look into the vibration problem.
Smaug likes this.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:03 AM

Garage
Itís instinctive/unconscious to grip the bars harder than you need to, particularly on bikes where the ergonomics put more of your weight on your arms. Gloves being too tight can also be a real problem; it also leads to cold hands too.

Call me an old duffer if you like, but removing the cat and changing the exhaust will, IMHO, have impacted on the performance of the bike, and may have contributed to the vibes. Did the person you bought it from offer you the originals as part of the deal? Maybe see if thereís anyone near you with the same model that you can try a back-to-back comparison?
icarusian and Smaug like this.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Garage
On my r model i feel almost zero vibes in the bars, something is very wrong, ive never heard of this on this bike. Something very wrong is going on. The exhaust on this bike is rubber mounted to the frame. My guess the rubber grommets did not get put in when the exhaust got screwed with. You may need to pull that bike up to an all stock one and start comparing things on that exhsust. These bikes are smooth other then a tiny vib if you run up 1st and 2nd gear, and even that is mild. Freeway a slight hint at like 85, even that is mild.

Last edited by sonicboom; 05-10-2018 at 12:32 PM.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:05 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Iím with Sonic on this. I ride a stock F model & it is one of the least vibrating bikes I have ever owned. Try to compare it with another R if you can. I have done plenty of 5+ hour rides & never had a hand numbness essue. These engines are very smooth for a twin.

Ride like your life depends on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page